• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Black Screen during SpaceRocks GML Tutorial (Version 2.3.0.529)

E

ExDweller

As of September 22, 2020, I'm using the newest version of GameMaker Studio 2 (Version 2.3.0.529) with a Runtime of (Version 2.3.0.401).

I have a problem where in the video tutorial for SpaceRocks GML0 I create sprites, apply them to objects, drag the objects into the only room that's there, run the game, but nothing shows up. All I see is a black screen, but the background color can be changed and I can see that. However, changing the image of the background also results to just a black screen.

I even tested this out with one of the demos the software gives us, and that too has a black screen.

I'd like to think there's something this new version changed that I need to enable or disable, but my friend that's been coding in GameMaker since forever can't resolve this issue. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, please let me know.

Thank you.

01_placeholder.png02_placeholder.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hello! This is a known issue and we're working to get it fixed. As a work-around just now I'm afraid you'll have to open a new IDE (middle-click on the GMS icon in the windows toolbar) and then create the tutorial project in that. SO, you'll have one IDE open with the tutorial window and the instructions, and another IDE with a new project where you'll do tutorial code or DnD. It's a bit of a pain, but hopefully we'll have it sorted out later today for users that download the tutorial in the future.

D

DeltaChara

Hello! This is a known issue and we're working to get it fixed. As a work-around just now I'm afraid you'll have to open a new IDE (middle-click on the GMS icon in the windows toolbar) and then create the tutorial project in that. SO, you'll have one IDE open with the tutorial window and the instructions, and another IDE with a new project where you'll do tutorial code or DnD. It's a bit of a pain, but hopefully we'll have it sorted out later today for users that download the tutorial in the future.
I think I'm having the same issue, but I didn't download a tutorial project, I just started a new project file. I also had this issue a few days earlier when I was just tinkering with some stuff, not following a tutorial or anything. Is this the same issue, and do you think it'll be fixed later today alongside the tutorial issue?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'll be honest and say that your issue will possibly be a different one and you should probably file a bug about it with YYG. It might not be, but I only have information regarding this issue and tutorials, so that's why I say file a bug.

D

DeltaChara

I'll be honest and say that your issue will possibly be a different one and you should probably file a bug about it with YYG. It might not be, but I only have information regarding this issue and tutorials, so that's why I say file a bug.
Okay, thanks!