Black screen bug

Wizer13th

Hello everyone,

I have a recurrent problem I can't fix. It began while attempting to create an inventory menu at this address: GameMaker Studio 2.3 - Beautiful Inventory Part 3 : Displaying Items From A DS Grid - YouTube

I figured I must have done an error in my coding, because I still saw the Health bar (3 hearts like a Zeldaesque game) at the top left. but the rest of the screen was completely black.

So, I made a backup of all my coding, doing step by step again, but now, every time I try a new project, I only get a full black screen. I don't understand why now it goes completely black while I begin anew.

-I tried playing with the layers, making them visible, adding visuals element to see if it was a problem with them
-I tried layer depths with layer_depth()
- I checked if my firewall was blocking Igor.exe, but no dice
-Tried cleaning the texture group and creating a new set, which was done in this thread: SOLVED - Started my first project after 2.3 update but my game is only a black screen | GameMaker Community (yoyogames.com).
- Even tried desinstalling Gamer Maker from Steam and installing it again.

Since I'm a beginner, I don't know what else I can do. As anybody had the same issue?

Wizer13th

I tried taking my old project, my object player can still interact with the object enemy and loses health. So, it seems to be a bug in the graphics and not a total freeze.

Dagolard

have the same issue on my laptop... the same project works just fine on my pc but as soon as i check it out via source control on my laptop i get a black screen... the game logic in the background works fine... sometimes i had an image but half of the sprites were missing

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Have you tried clearing the compiler cache to force a rebuild of all assets?
1609770083163.png

Other things worth checking:
  • Do you have a (visible) viewport and a camera, and is the camera/view system enabled?
  • Do you set drawing alpha to 0 somewhere, or the drawing color to black? (This can turn all drawing transparent, or turn all drawing black, respectively, depending on which functions you're using)
  • Is the object that draws stuff present in the room and visible and on a visible layer?
  • Do you have an infinite loop in a Create/Room Start/Game Start event that prevents the game from even starting properly, or does it actually run responsively?