• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Biting off more than I can chew?

9intend0

I hope this is the right place to post this, but...

I have been developing the story and battle system of a game for about 2 years now. I have a solid vision for it but I have NO game making background, NO programming knowledge (although I am picking it up), and ABYSMAL art skills (mainly using GIMP and Inkscape)

I'm pushing through and making my game bit by bit, but I want to know if you think this is too ambitious of a project or is it something that over time I will be able to make?

What advice do you have for me?

D

dannyjenn

I have three suggestions. Probably at least one will work for you:

1.) Hire some contractors to make the graphics and do the programming for you. (That way you would basically be the ideas guy/project manager/art director, and you wouldn't need to get directly involved with the art or programming.) However, if you're on a tight budget it might be hard to find people who will be willing to do this for free. (But you never know... some people might be willing to do it just so they can add it to their resume/portfolio.)

2.) Another option is to keep doing what you've been doing. Work solo, and use this project as a learning experience in order to acquire new skills. That way by the time you finally do finish, you'll not only have a completed game (hopefully polished) but you will also have new skills. (Though, this might be a bad idea. If you start off too ambitious you're likely to get frustrated and end up giving up before the game is ever finished. Or you might end up in a situation where the project just keeps dragging on and on and never get finished.)

3.) If you haven't done so already, you could write down all your ideas in some sort of a game design document. Then work on other projects, and don't even think about working on this one until after you've acquired the skills. Then, after you have the skills, revisit the project. Use the game design document to refresh your memory so that you won't need to spend much time redoing all the design work.

pixeltroid

I hope this is the right place to post this, but...

I have been developing the story and battle system of a game for about 2 years now. I have a solid vision for it but I have NO game making background, NO programming knowledge (although I am picking it up), and ABYSMAL art skills (mainly using GIMP and Inkscape)

I'm pushing through and making my game bit by bit, but I want to know if you think this is too ambitious of a project or is it something that over time I will be able to make?

What advice do you have for me?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, with the exception that I'm something of an artist. From my experience, I believe its okay to be ambitious BUT only as long as you back it up with dedication and hard work.

I'd advice you to:
  • Stop adding new features or content.
  • Make a FINAL checklist of things you need to get done and start wrapping things up. Otherwise your project will be open ended and you'll keep working on it endlessly....or worse, become so fatigued from it that you'll just give up.
  • If you're struggling with art, I'd advice you to commission an artist for your game. Because once people check out your game, the first thing they do is look at the screenshots or playthrough video. If the art comes across as amateurish, chances are they'll simply close the window and move on to something else. As harsh as it may sound, people wont care if it was your first game or if you don't have a game-making background.
  • Make a profile at itch.io or gamejolt and post a playable demo. Also showcase your game in the "work in progress" section here. You will get valuable feedback so you at least know what's good or not-so-good about your game.

Good luck!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You should give the Yahtzee's Dev Diary series a watch. All of it. Start watching right away, no excuses.

The most important bits ("Focus on the primary loop" mantra, his Space Game retrospective) show up pretty late in the series, but all of it is packed full of handy development tips and since he uses Game Maker you could even pick up a bunch of cool code from watching it. There's even some art tips to pick up, too (the cityscape day/night cycle in Life of Eric Zahn, the animation guide in UpBeat, the water effect in Something's In The Sea).

There's no such thing as too ambitious, you have a vision but you just don't have all the skills and knowledge yet to implement the idea. That is all. Only you can decide if your game is worth pursuing or not.

Me personally, I couldn't care less how long it'll take me, I've got a solid story written out, notepads of game mechanics, sketches and concepts. I have the game made on paper just need to implement it into Gamemaker. If it takes me a decade, so be it. I want to share this story and that's what motivates me.

Find what motivates you may help you decide to keep on it too. If all you think about is, I'll make money from this, you probably want to have a rethink.

Hope this helps in anyway. If you need inspired, give Stephen King's 'On Writing' a read. Though it's about writing stories, the principles are the same.