• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing [REVIEW]

Sedgwick2K

So, in Youtube, I came across a 2003 game called "Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing", which was published by now closed Stellar Stone. I'm literally shocked and literally saw how a "complete" game can be bad, embarassing and blatant. This sentence is even wrong, because the game is, of course, not complete. It is being too kind to say this game was rushed, thus the game was even copied one more time as "Midnight Race Club: Supercharged", which was still of course blatant.

Talking about graphics; I don't care much about graphics as I totally lack 3D modelling skills (I only did a mod for GeneRally for once and that game was limited to 40 polygons, that's all). However, ingame interface contains speedometers, distance meters and time going out of their "supposed" frames. Otherwise it is almost same as an early 2000s indie game. Stop lights can be outside supposed "taillights" on model, which is okay for a such old game, but when you turn the car (truck) it definetly goes out of bounds. Just like my supposed drift effects on my old drifting demos I made in GM8 :D

The game is obviously infamous for its physics, which enables you to go at 80-81mph for all four trucks; all them perform same when it comes to acceleration and handling as I saw in videos. But the real deal inside the game is its non-existent collision detection and gravity. You can select a truck, go through all objects (and even supposed opponent trucks) then drive a 90 degree inclined mountain at 80mph. Yes, you can make 80mph at 90 degree incline. Plus when your vehicle goes downwards, it sticks to ground better than a magnet. That must be some serious downforce and traction, but let me tell that I think it is possible to get a such reaction with Game Maker Studio too, I'll honestly try that when I involve more in 3D.

But here's the one and only thing that you can do in this game that can overperform everything else. When you go at reverse, the truck keeps accelerating and you accelerate faster and faster; unlike forward which acceleration slows down at 56mph. There are videos that proves a truck in Big Rigs can overtake light easily within just a few minutes, there's even a footage that a truck can make a speed of 12.3 undecillion miles per hour, which is 5.8 times 28th power of 10 times of light speed, which is only 671 million miles per hour. At this point, game automatically says "You're Winner" or "You Win" (depending on version), its probably because at this speed the truck can exist anywhere, or it hit the absolute upper point that a floating point can recognize (something like xff7ffff, i don't remember much). And the game still doesn't crash. What a versatility.

As I mentioned "opponent", it physically exists in the game, but just exists. It doesn't move or do something. Until a patch, which makes it move until finish line and then stops on itself (as written in Wikipedia) and that makes losing the game impossible. The packing of the game also promises that player will run away from cops while carrying some illegal cargo in trailers, but both of them does not exist at all. Inside the game of course, its cover still has both. The game has 5 tracks, with the one "Nighride" is unplayable. And original version did not even include sounds, which has its pitch increasing until around 405-406mph then goes back to idle at 8.7 billion mph (according to another video on Youtube) after patch. And some other bugs existing, but those are the ones making the game (in)famous.

And this game even sold around 20.000 copies, estimated by GameSpot, which gave a 1/10 rating. Metacritic gave a %8 rating, which remains as the worst score given by Metacritic until this day. In X-Play's "Games You Should Never Buy" segment, co-host Morgan Webb refused to rate Big Rigs, because their score system did not have "zero" rating. She also described Big Rigs as "the worst game ever made". Which, of course, I agree according to footages.

There is also an information that the game was actually to be merged into Midnight Race Club: Supercharged, which eventually shared same physics, tracks and bugs with Big Rigs (other than collision detection, FINALLY), which was released in 2004, a few months after Big Rigs. Which is, according to Wikipedia, the last game of Stellar Stone before being gone for good in 2006.

The most disgusting thing is that this game even have a "fansite" called yourewinner.com, taking its name from "You're Winner" message after winning the race. And it's still alive!

Well, that's all folks. You're free to check out videos at YouTube, but I don't take any responsiblilities from possible traumas. It's an embarassing game. It could be a mediocre game of 2004/2005 easily. Even with that little potential being wasted, Big Rigs is down in history as one of hugest embarassments of video game industry.

Sedgwick2K

Yeah I heard about it and saw a video.
I don't get why it should receive attention on the gamemaker forum though.
You're actually right on not getting it, this forum belongs to Game Makerđź‘Ť
But as this thread is in Off-Topic section and my purpose is making indie developers here (espicially ones making 3D games) know a fairly bad example to take lessons from there and encourage theirselfs into making more stable and solid games... I don't see a problem there.
Though it can also get a remake from any member of this community that properly works, promising what packaging said, have slightly higher graphics (if remaker desires) and NOT GOING FASTER THAN SPEED OF LIGHT OR DOING A FULL INCLINE CLIMB AT 80MPH. This might sound nonsense but as I said, that package alone gives a potential and reinventing that doesn't take a bachelor's degree:D
Only if I was capable of making 3D models... I would be that person... just like I'm interpolating those ages old drag racing games nowadays.