OFFICIAL BetaJam! The world's first GMS2 Game Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Edit: Winners Announced!

YoYo Games are proud to present the world's first GameMaker Studio 2 Game Jam! Submit a game & project files any time in the next two weeks and help us make history.

The theme for this first jam is Arena. As an added criteria we want to see as much use of the new tile mapping features in GameMaker Studio 2!

If you need help getting started, there are official tutorials built around constructing a simple top down arena shooter available on YouTube, and also built into the IDE as written tutorials.

Making a game is what counts, so if the theme doesn't work for you then feel free to create anything you like. The only rule is it has to be created using GameMaker Studio 2. To this end, we'll need entrants to share their project files. Doing this is also a great way to encourage developers to learn from each other and also means that users of the free Trial version can also enter. We can't wait to see what you'll do with our new tools.

The games will be judged internally and the winner will receive a trophy from YoYo Games and will be highlighted on our website. The top three developers will also receive a goody pack including a GameMaker Studio 2 T-shirt, messenger bag, squeeze ball and bottle opener:

Best of luck to all!

Last edited:

sylvain_l

To this end, we'll need entrants to share their project files.
are we allowed to use any marketplace asset ? (meaning if I use a paid asset, I can't include it in the project file; so project file won't compile if yourself don't own the asset)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Well I'm taking part! I had a brilliant idea just earlier today.
Though it will either be a surprisingly fun game or a completely broken concept.

J

JackOatley

I'll take part. I was looking at this post thinking "they should set up an itch.io jam page for this...", THEN I noticed the link at the top. Maybe reformat a bit, unless it's just me, lol?

G

GhostlyFeline

I'll attempt to make an entry. A bit busy with my main project, but I can try to squeeze a few days into my schedule. I really want one of those GM bags.

GMWolf

aka fel666
My current game idea works well in multiplayer... not so sure about single player... Does YYG have any friends to test the game with?

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
are we allowed to use any marketplace asset ? (meaning if I use a paid asset, I can't include it in the project file; so project file won't compile if yourself don't own the asset)
You can use the assets but remove anything from the project file that you don't have the rights to freely redistribute in source form (ie: Marketplace asset code or art.). Ideally use none!

My current game idea works well in multiplayer... not so sure about single player... Does YYG have any friends to test the game with?
Yes =)

hippyman

I'm interested in the source sharing idea for this jam. I love seeing how other people do things.

and also...

I WANT THAT BAG.

Dang it. I really want to do this, but I saw it like, 9 days late... Let me see what I can throw together over this weekend.

EDIT: How important is using the tiles? In my mind, arena means, "one room that you're stuck in", so I don't think I'll get much use of auto-tiling because I'm only using one room.

Last edited:
J

JackOatley

Dang it. I really want to do this, but I saw it like, 9 days late... Let me see what I can throw together over this weekend.

EDIT: How important is using the tiles? In my mind, arena means, "one room that you're stuck in", so I don't think I'll get much use of auto-tiling because I'm only using one room.
Not very important. In the amount of time given, also that it's near Christmas and most people are up to their neck in wrapping paper, there's not really a way to make a game big enough to show off the tiles. In regard to speed anyway, the old tiles were fine on a normal scale as well. If it's just "use tiles in the room editor", then I don't see the point. I tried playing with the auto-tiling and it's GUI and could only think "It takes about 12 lines of code to sort tiles...", so I stopped wasting my time, lol.
Personally I'm "over-using" a different new features, the new array stuff, because that interests me vastly more than tiles. So yeah, just make a game, using a new feature is a bonus. As long as you have fun then you're winning, hehe. :)

Yeah. Looks the same for me. I tried a bit, but got distracted and only got basic movement and shooting done. I'll have to pass on this one.

However, it said this was just the first one, so I hope that means there will be more. Is there some way I can make certain I know right when the next one starts? I really want to participate with enough time to make something really cool.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I'm using the "new" arrays, oh my god I love them. <3
I'd like to kiss whoever implemented them right on the mouth. *eyes Mike and Russell* I know it was one of youuuuu
My game is tentatively named Arena. Lol.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I just love being able to declare them like this: newArray = [1, 2, 3];
Also, loving the auto tiling. Took a bit for me to get the hang of it, but hot dog is it cool!

I also have tile collisions working now, omg, this stuff it so cool, guys. Srsly, omg.

Last edited:
J

JackOatley

What happens in the 'new arrays'?
Well, before if you wanted to declare a temporary array, you had to make it a real value of 0, now you can do this which makes it much clearer:
Code:
pointArray = [];
And even this, which is declaring an array with it first entry as an array containing the values 0 and 0, before this would take 5 lines of code:
Code:
var offsets = [[0, 0]];
Furthermore, you can add onto the above like so:
Code:
for (var i=1; i<=6; i++) {
    offsets[i] = [hexRadius*cos(2*pi*i/6), hexRadius*sin(2*pi*i/6)];
}
Declaring them inline allows easier sorting of stuff too, for example, I draw hexagons using a linestrip. This means the first vertex needs to also be at the end. Before I would fix that by looping through all the points and adding the first one onto the end outside the loop. But now it's simpler to build an array containing your order and looping through it without needing an "end fix":
Code:
// Define vertex lookup order
var order = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1];

for (var o=1; o<8; o++) {
    var point = hex[order[o]];
    draw_vertex_texture_colour(x+point[0]+point[2], y+point[1]+point[3], 0, 0, c_white, point[4]);
}
I hope that sheds some light on this awesome new feature set.

Chaser

Only saw this a couple of days ago when I logged in on 1.4, been tinkering, but not sure il have a complete game? Does that matter? And I'm using the trial period, not coz I'm tight, but the misses wants the to buy me the full version at xmas,, how do I upload the project file on itch? Do I have to zip it?

S

Stainless

Oh damn, I have only noticed it now when there is 24h left. :/

M

Marcos Mena

I'm not able to create the EXE for my game, I downloaded visual studio and created my ceritificate, it still says Packages can not be built for the selected plataform.

PLEASE HELP, the gamejam is almost closed!

I'm not able to create the EXE for my game, I downloaded visual studio and created my ceritificate, it still says Packages can not be built for the selected plataform.

PLEASE HELP, the gamejam is almost closed!
You're supposed to upload the whole project file.

To this end, we'll need entrants to share their project files. Doing this is also a great way to encourage developers to learn from each other and also means that users of the free Trial version can also enter.

M

Marcos Mena

Is it just me or you guys gave it some for time before the Jam ends? I swear to god I saw it only had a few hours to end and now it says 13 hour left.

Chaser

I saw that as well thought I was cracking up, 12 hours left, really? Wish I didn't stop now, I might of made it. Damm, well despite me busting me balls this morning, it's just not going to happen, wish I'd of know about it when it actually started.maybe next year, good luck everyone else!

L

Lemth

Already went through quite a few games and checked out some of the sources codes; lots of interesting and teaching stuff in there!

Looking forward to see what YoYo thinks of all of it; though I believe there is one entry that stand way above the rest.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Okay, hey uhhhh. My game homestead got submitted, but was obviously not made for the jam...
The submission form freaked out on me and linked it...

L

Lemth

By the way; when can we expect the results?

I'm pretty positive that I'm not one of the winners, but the wait without knowing when to expect the announcement is killing me! :rolleyes:

M

Marcos Mena

Shaun posted a blog in the website stating:

Our first ever game jam for GameMaker Studio 2 has now ended! Over 50 excellent games powered by GameMaker Studio 2 were submitted to the Jam which you can see and play for yourself here. We have started the judging process and the winners, who will receive Studio 2 goodybags will be announced very shortly! We're hoping to run further game jams and have some surprises in store so stay tuned for more opportunities like this one!

This was today.

http://www.yoyogames.com/blog/406

That's about all we know.

M

Marcos Mena

Congratulations to everyone! not only to the winners, good job on releasing the game in time. There were about 200 people joined in the jam only 55 made it to the deadline, that's what counts!

PS: I was really hoping everyone would get some feedback from the judges, guess that's not the case.

L

Lemth

PS: I was really hoping everyone would get some feedback from the judges, guess that's not the case.
I feel you; would like to know what I should focus on more next time! (cause I did feel like I had some sort of a shot at some sort of mention; especially after seeing how many times my game got downloaded even though mine was purely for GMS2BJ and not for LD37.)

We could review each others games? Just link yours and I'll try to be in-depth as possible. Already played and reviewed a few of the games that got picked as winners or honorable mentions.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
I can certainly understand that, I also love doing feedback and analysis on this sort of thing but with 50 games submitted it took long enough just to download, play them all, and evaluate them! If you're after some specific feedback on something in particular I wouldn't mind helping out in my own time.

Juju

I was really hoping everyone would get some feedback from the judges, guess that's not the case.
We could review each others games?
I'm certainly happy to spend some time over the holidays writing down my experiences in people's games if they'd like. nnnnot sure if that might come off smug or condescending? I'unno, definitely not my goal. Offer's there if people wanna chase it down.

L

Lemth

I'm certainly happy to spend some time over the holidays writing down my experiences in people's games if they'd like. nnnnot sure if that might come off smug or condescending? I'unno, definitely not my goal. Offer's there if people wanna chase it down.
I would love that Juju; for both my own game - to get some information on what I should focus on more to improve my skillset - but also for some other games to get an idea of what the do's and don'ts are for gamemaking at different levels.
It doesn't even have to be lengthy; just some comments through different eyes are welcome!

M

Marcos Mena

I can certainly understand that, I also love doing feedback and analysis on this sort of thing but with 50 games submitted it took long enough just to download, play them all, and evaluate them! If you're after some specific feedback on something in particular I wouldn't mind helping out in my own time.
Thanks for your reply! I know there's a lot of bad things on my game, its just first one but I do understand its hard to evaluate so many of them. I do want to talk about one specific thing I couldn't get to work on my game, let me know when you have time and see if you can give me any suggestions.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.