OFFICIAL BetaJam 2! - Build a GMS2 game in 2 weeks to win prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Update: The Jam is now OVER and judging has commenced! Expect results in the following days. See & play all the entries for yourself: https://itch.io/jam/betajam2/entries

If the recent GMC Jam still hasn't sated your desire to build stuff, YoYo Games are proud to present our second ever GameMaker Studio 2 Game Jam! Submit a game & project files any time in the next two weeks to be in with a chance of winning some GameMaker Studio 2 prizes and being highlighted on our website.

The theme for our second jam is:

Interpret this however you would like, as a bonus criteria we also want to see the best use of Shaders you guys can come up with for your games!

Making a game is what counts, so if the theme doesn't work for you then feel free to create anything you like. The main rule here is it has to be created using GameMaker Studio 2. To this end, we'll need entrants to share their project files. Doing this is also a great way to encourage developers to learn from each other and also means that users of the free Trial version can also enter. We can't wait to see what you'll do with our new tools.

To reiterate, the rules are:

• Games must be made with GameMaker Studio 2, games built with 1.x do not qualify.
  • Games must include their project files in order to verify the above
  • Games built with the free Trial version of GameMaker Studio 2 are permitted.
  • Teams are allowed, but only one prize pack will be issued to winning teams.
  • Do not include source code or assets that you do not have the right to redistribute. (Marketplace assets, etc.).
  • Submissions end at midnight on Friday the 17th of February.
The games will be judged internally, a trophy will be awarded to the overall winner and the top three developers will receive a goody pack including a GameMaker Studio 2 T-shirt, messenger bag, squeeze ball and bottle opener.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

rIKmAN

The games will be judged internally, a trophy will be awarded to the overall winner and the top three developers will receive a goody pack including a GameMaker Studio 2 T-shirt, messenger bag, squeeze ball and bottle opener.
I like the idea of these jams, but those prizes for an "official" competition... o_O
I'm not saying give away a Mobile or UWP pack, but you couldn't throw in a cheaper licence for Desktop or HTML5 for the winner?

Good luck to anyone who enters!

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
What's the team cap? Just curious.
Well there isn't one, strictly speaking. But the prizes don't scale. And there's just y'know, the spirit of the thing to consider.

I mean I guess a 40 person studio could enter but it's probably not the best use of their time haha.

T

TheMatrixHasMe

Well there isn't one, strictly speaking. But the prizes don't scale. And there's just y'know, the spirit of the thing to consider.
The spirit of the thing to consider is kind of vague, to be fair. It doesn't exactly add clarity, kind of muddies the water. Now I'm not sure what number of team mates is arbitrarily frowned upon. It's better to have an explicit limit in my opinion. The only reason I ask is because I just came from my first jam on the 1.X side of things and they had an explicit cap of three. I have a new team mate I'm working with and was thinking of adding a third person as well.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
MAGIC? This theme works much better for me than ARENA, that's for certain. I'll see what I can come up with for this one, might very well end up doing something jRPGish or adventurey or whatnot...

I'm too burned out from the most recent Jam to do this one I think. I also have never used shaders. But maybe I'll attempt to submit something? Probably not.

@Schyler Me too, if it would work for a laptop bag.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
The spirit of the thing to consider is kind of vague, to be fair. It doesn't exactly add clarity, kind of muddies the water. Now I'm not sure what number of team mates is arbitrarily frowned upon. It's better to have an explicit limit in my opinion. The only reason I ask is because I just came from my first jam on the 1.X side of things and they had an explicit cap of three. I have a new team mate I'm working with and was thinking of adding a third person as well.
That's fine. As I said, any team size is technically allowed.

No matter what limit could be given it would be arbitrary. The point is just to be encouraged to make games.

R

Rusty

Did... did this...? Is this...? An admin... double posting!? He's gone mad with power!

I'm more concerned with posting source codes otherwise I would've loved to have joined in the fun here. A little oddly timed what with the GMCJam still in voting over the entire entry period but a fun idea none-the-less.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I wonder if it's a good idea to join now that only 5 days are left... I would have no chance against those working from the start..

TrunX

I planned to participate in this game jam together with the graphic artist from Catboy just to take two days off from the work there. Our idea was to combine this game jam with the new 4-Player Arcade Machine my university got just for student projects (8way joystick + 2 buttons for each player) and make the first game that will be playable on this machine.

Today was the second of our planned "two day project" and we ran into the sprite limit of the GMS2 Beta :(
After some consideration we decided to port the game to GMS1 and finish it just for the arcade machine without participating here.

My suggestion is to repeal the beta limitations during the time period a Beta Jam takes place (if there will be more) so that the people that use the jam to test out the beta within an actual project for the first time (like me) will not get this bad first impression.

Nevertheless good luck and have fun finishing your games for the jam to all participants!

L

Lemth

... hello, anybody home?

With only a day remaining and no entries or devlogs in sight I feel like either people quit/dropped this jam or are secretly working on a triple AAA title to snag that epic bag...

I think a lot of people all try uploading in the last few hours available to them. Hey, if nobody else enters then you have a very good shot at getting the prizes :)

T

TheMatrixHasMe

This is Gizmo199 and my game called Voodo Villa

Edit: Game has been pulled and we respectfully bow out.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheMatrixHasMe

Fyi guys the executable for ours says ProjectAlpha but that is just the code name we worked under while designing the game. It's still called Voodoo Villa.

Edit: Can someone who is running this thing clue me in to what's going on please?

I just went to this link https://itch.io/jam/betajam2#entries and do not see the entry that me and the co-developer worked on for two weeks non-stop.

Second Edit: Okay so it's been about an hour and a half now since the deadline and since the time that I personally messaged Shaun and this place is still ghost town and crickets.
I still have not heard a peep and the game that my game design partner and I worked on for two weeks straight for this Jam is nowhere to be found on itch. Personally I feel like both he and I deserve a personal explanation as to why we are being seemingly disqualified from this Jam when the entry was submitted on time?

I would like the staff and YoYo games to personally think about what it would feel like to slave a way on something for two weeks only to be met with complete and absolute silence and a seeming disqualified as I saw 21 entries but not ours despite it being posted on time?

Furthermore, I wasn't even aware until about two hours before the deadline that these had to be hosted on itch.io a product I am not familiar with, and the only reason I found out is because my partner was notified in a personal email from Shaun. So, what gives guys? Why does this feel like it's being ran as you go and why is there nothing but crickets from YoYo staff? Why are some members excluded and not others?

I have been a long time frequenter of these forums and the forums before and feel like I deserve to know what is going on and why I'm being ghosted?

L

Lemth

Fyi guys the executable for ours says ProjectAlpha but that is just the code name we worked under while designing the game. It's still called Voodoo Villa.

Edit: Can someone who is running this thing clue me in to what's going on please?

I just went to this link https://itch.io/jam/betajam2#entries and do not see the entry that me and the co-developer worked on for two weeks non-stop.

Second Edit: Okay so it's been about an hour and a half now since the deadline and since the time that I personally messaged Shaun and this place is still ghost town and crickets.
I still have not heard a peep and the game that my game design partner and I worked on for two weeks straight for this Jam is nowhere to be found on itch. Personally I feel like both he and I deserve a personal explanation as to why we are being seemingly disqualified from this Jam when the entry was submitted on time?

I would like the staff and YoYo games to personally think about what it would feel like to slave a way on something for two weeks only to be met with complete and absolute silence and a seeming disqualified as I saw 21 entries but not ours despite it being posted on time?

Furthermore, I wasn't even aware until about two hours before the deadline that these had to be hosted on itch.io a product I am not familiar with, and the only reason I found out is because my partner was notified in a personal email from Shaun. So, what gives guys? Why does this feel like it's being ran as you go and why is there nothing but crickets from YoYo staff? Why are some members excluded and not others?

I have been a long time frequenter of these forums and the forums before and feel like I deserve to know what is going on and why I'm being ghosted?
Did you upload it to itch and enter the jam on itch yourself? Because that is how jams on itch work.

Edit: saw your link, but it gives me a 404. Dit you set your game page to live/public or is it still a draft??

Try messaging Shaun on twitter and hopefully he can still add you in, good luck!

T

TheMatrixHasMe

Did you upload it to itch and enter the jam on itch yourself? Because that is how jams on itch work.

Edit: saw your link, but it gives me a 404. Dit you set your game page to live/public or is it still a draft??

Try messaging Shaun on twitter and hopefully he can still add you in, good luck!
I'll be honest, I don't really know what I did wrong. I had never messed with itch.io before and like I said I didn't know that was what we were supposed to do until about two hours before the deadline. This was my second Jam I've done the first one being the 3 day Jam just a couple of weeks ago and I gotta say it's been extremely disappointing how these things are ran and I know I'm not the only one here who feels that way.

I contacted Shaun moments after posting the links before the deadline and then again an hour and half later via messaging his profile here. I received absolutely no response from him and as you can see no one on YoYo's staff has bothered to comment on this page so it seems that this is Shaun's baby and his alone.

So that's about it. I've come to terms with it by now. I'm going to remove the links for the game and wish everyone else the best of luck. I don't think that I'm going to be participating in any of the future Jams myself. They've been a great escape from a current project I've been working on for a long time and I've gotten to see some talented game designers in these Jams. It's great knowing you guys are out there and I'll definitely be lurking and keeping my eyes out for more talent in the future. I still love GMS and now GMS2 and will continue to use these products.

Best of Luck to all!

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Hello, please check your private messages. It's clear there was just a misunderstanding for your submission so I'm sure we'll be able to get it in, there's no need to worry.

T

TheMatrixHasMe

Hello, please check your private messages. It's clear there was just a misunderstanding for your submission so I'm sure we'll be able to get it in, there's no need to worry.
Hi Shaun, I've responded to you in the private messages, thanks.

T

TheMatrixHasMe

Did you upload it to itch

and enter the jam on itch yourself? Because that is how jams on itch work.

Hey it was set to draft, I switched it to public so maybe that was it. I honestly have no experience with itch.io but even though it was draft it said that if I provided the link that people could download it which is what I thought people were supposed to do. It was very unclear for someone like myself who isn't a seasoned Jammer like others and the lack of messages or communication from staff or anyone involved didn't make anything clearer. Honestly it's very confusing they say they are going to be "handling the judging internally" and then the next thing I know I'm supposed to be publicly publishing this game for the whole world to a website I have absolutely zero familiarity with? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense especially coming off the other Jam YoYo runs for the 1.4/x versions where you post the link to the website here and everyone judges.

At least in the other Jam Yoyo runs here Alice does a good job of laying out the guidelines and how everything is structured, what steps you need to take, etc. Oh and she also communicates and assists participants as they scramble in those last minutes. I don't understand how something like this can be organized and when deadline comes it's just crickets. It's like being invited to someones house and when you get there no one is home lol.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
@TheMatrixHasMe
Sure, I understand your confusion & frustration. It's noted that these things need to be clearer going forwards. YoYo doesn't run the GMC Jam which happens here it is community led and has run for a very long time and has iterated many fold on its implementation. I definitely understand the confusion if you're used to one set of rules to be met with another that appear to be coming from the same place & people. As I mentioned in our other conversation I'm totally happy to accept your entry.

Thanks everyone for your submissions and congratulations to everyone who put something together! We didn't bring in as many games as the first jam which is understandable but there's still a whole bunch of awesome looking stuff. We'll be judging and announcing the results in the next few days. =)

L

Lemth

Thanks @ShaunJS and Yoyogames for organizing this jam, playing the games, and giving individual feedback to each entry(!!)
Also thanks to everyone participating, was a lot of fun seeing and playing these different games and learning from their source code.

Here's a copy-pasta from the blogpost for those unaware of this jams conclusion:

BETAJAM 2 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Posted by Shaun Spalding on 27 February 2017

Thanks to everybody who entered our second game jam supporting the GameMaker Studio 2 Beta! It's super cool seeing what people are already able to do with the new tool and it always makes us very excited for the future!

Across only two weeks there were twenty one unique games submitted and you can see and play them all here.

We had a lot of fun playing through these games entry and I personally left feedback on every individual submission via their itch.io entry pages. Some cool stuff was made but there can only be three winners and without further ado they are as follows:

THIRD PLACE
Cait Sidhe by Indiana Kuffer

This cute platform adventure is brimming with atmosphere. The initial game mechanics focus around tricky jumps and edge grabs with a very mobile black cat. Later you obtain magic powers that allow the player to breathe fire and open up new paths.

Download Here

SECOND PLACE
Magic Astronaut by Lemth

A simple, tried and tested concept well executed. Jump higher and higher until you can escape the gravitational pull of the planet. Some fun dialogue in this one to break up the levels and feed the feeling of progress. Some great glitch-style effects as you combo more and more jumps and get progressively faster, almost as if you're losing control or breaking some sort of speed barrier!

Download Here

FIRST PLACE
Glitch Witches by JuJu, Thirteen and Blokatt.

Once again, the talented duo of JuJu and Thirteen put together something super solid in such a small space of time. This time bringing the music of Blokatt into the mix too! A great Worms-like with a ton of different weapons and strategies and a unique environment composition. Some great spell effects and game feel in this one and lots of direct inspiration from classic Worms.

Download Here

All winners will receive a GMS2 goody pack as well as a special trophy for our first place winner!

Thanks again to everyone who submitted! This will be the last jam from me as Community Manager for this particular Beta, but I and the team here at YoYo can't wait to see what new stuff you all continue to create with GameMaker Studio 2.

( Source: http://www.yoyogames.com/blog/412 )

L

Lemth

Hey guys,
Still no sign of the goody pack :( have also communicated this over Twitter but to no result.
Any YYG crew here that can help me out?
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.