• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker best way to store item info?

S

Slothagami

I am making a game that will eventually have about 100 items or so (probably not that many) and I don't know the best way to store and access that information
If possible, I want a script or other easy way to add and change items, and keep them all in the same place / script.

Is it better to store this information in an external file, and if so what type of file? (I don't intend for players to change the stats of items) if not, what array/data structure would be the best?
I'm looking for a somewhat performant solution, there is nothing else happening at the moment, but there will be lots happening in the game later.

Thanks in advance!

ophelius

Data structures are very powerful and can be used to create very complex inventory systems. You can find all the details in the manual