• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Best way to start off?

H

HypSandar

Hello!
I've been looking around, i can't seem to find a tutorial set of sort that will help me learn GML basics, enough to make out a simple game. I need an efficient and quick way to learn, i have a timebomb of 3 months to start earning money this way or i'm basically dead.

Could you guys recommend me something to begin with?
And please don't recommend me books unless it has an audio book version of it, i have huge concentration problems in specific areas.

I used to mess around in Game Maker 8 ( without using GML) with events and actions, not too advanced but this makes it easier for me to catch up on learning via GMS

T

TDSrock

Start with the tutorials from GameMaker then move onto rebuilding simplistic games. I'd start with building Pong and then Tetris. Once those two are built you should have a decent feel of how things works.

It's good to know that the manual is an excellent resource to figure out how functions work.

H

Heat4Life

The GM:S Manual will be your Best friend every single day if you have a problem...

Pandavim

I started off by watching this series:
I found it really useful when learning the basics. Also it pretty much only uses code.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Tetris actually isn't that good of a game for a beginner, I might add. At least not if you allow you to rotate blocks, because that way you can't just make do with precise-collision tetrominos spawning lots of small blocks when they hit other blocks.... you have to use much more complicated approaches. (I tried back in the GM6 days, and my game was kinda terrible due to how broken and buggy the rotations was, and I gave up on it without really learning anything)

H

HypSandar

I started off by watching this series:
I found it really useful when learning the basics. Also it pretty much only uses code.
Yeah, i tried that. The tutorial series is outdated, Game Maker is a lot different now.

H

HypSandar

Tetris actually isn't that good of a game for a beginner, I might add. At least not if you allow you to rotate blocks, because that way you can't just make do with precise-collision tetrominos spawning lots of small blocks when they hit other blocks.... you have to use much more complicated approaches. (I tried back in the GM6 days, and my game was kinda terrible due to how broken and buggy the rotations was, and I gave up on it without really learning anything)
Thanks for mentioning, you saved me time :D