Legacy GM Best way to setup turn-based online multiplayer ?

RyanC

Hi everyone, I'm looking into setting up a game where users can search for other users and then enter a dual match with friends, with the results of each dual being stored in an online database.

As there will only be two players in a match I'm considering using one of the users devices as the hosting server.
That way I wouldn't need to host a server online that handles tuns of incoming requests at a time if the game is really successful and there are millions of dual matches taking place at once. All I would need then is an online data base like MySQL.

Anyone know if this is ideal?

Fabseven

So your are saying your online server is only used as a "chat room".
I think it wont work because it's kind of hard to connect to pc directly with the ip only.
(have you ever seen a game with direct ip multiplayer ?)

On smartphone it's possible (exemple : Clash Royale), one of the player is the other the other one i a guest...

S

Spikehead777

That is actually how a lot of p2p (peer-to-peer) games operate--one player connects to another, one acts as the game host, the other acts as a client. Scaling your game up from there isn't that much more difficult.

Having a database server is also how games handle leaderboards and statistics.

There is one rather important system you're missing, though. How will players connect to each other? Unless you want players to give out their IPs online to each other or you are implementing LAN game searching, you will need a matchmaking server. Essentially, a matchmaking server lets players find matches with other players, directing the game how each player will connect to one another.

RyanC

That is actually how a lot of p2p (peer-to-peer) games operate--one player connects to another, one acts as the game host, the other acts as a client. Scaling your game up from there isn't that much more difficult.

Having a database server is also how games handle leaderboards and statistics.

There is one rather important system you're missing, though. How will players connect to each other? Unless you want players to give out their IPs online to each other or you are implementing LAN game searching, you will need a matchmaking server. Essentially, a matchmaking server lets players find matches with other players, directing the game how each player will connect to one another.
Anyone have any ideas on how a matchmaking server can be made, I can host HTML5 applications made with GMS but not sure if that will work? the game is intended for Windows and Android.

Or what if the the user just searches the MySQL database for online users to attack?

Last edited: