• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Best way to detect angle to big object?

samspade

I have a targeting system which functions a little like the following:

Loop through all of a certain object class
if is within a certain distance
if is within a certain angle
add it to a priority queue based on distance

Actual code is:

Code:
with (destroyable_parent) {

//check if in range
    var _dist_to_player = point_distance(xx, yy, x, y);
    if (_dist_to_player > other.max_range) continue;

//check if in right angle
    var _direction_to_enemy = point_direction(xx, yy, x, y);
    if (abs(angle_difference(_direction_to_enemy, player_angle)) > other.max_angle) continue;

//add to queue based on distance
    ds_priority_add(_target_priority_queue, id, _dist_to_player);

}
The basic idea is that I get a subset of targets sorted by distance.

The problem with this is that it is detecting angle based on a target's x and y (center of sprite). There's no issue with this for small sprites, but with large sprite sprites, especially with narrow angle, you can be pointing at an instance but that actual x/y of the instance won't be within the angle so you can't target it.

I need a good way to check if the angle is right against the sprite itself rather than the x/y. Right now the only solution I can think of to add two line collision checks on the outside of the 'cone' of vision or to create a cone mask, scale it, and use precise collision checking.

Goldoche

Maybe check each extremity of the sprite? Anyway, the solutions you already thought of seem adequate too.