Windows Best video extension for GMS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

makas

Hello I just want to ask you guys, in your experience what is the best extention in the marketplace to insert videos on my projects?

Im not asking for advice to talk me out of using videos on gamemaker games, Im actually creating a multimedia windows aplication and I want to implement video play on it, I know there are several good ones, but Im worry about the support the extensions have on GMS2, so what is the best you have used? Thank you!

I'm wondering this as well. I've used a few of the more expensive extensions on the marketplace in 1.4, but they had issues like loading very slowly, or not positioning or sizing the video correctly/how I want it.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'll let you be the judge. I'm just here to list the features of each one. Your specific needs may determine which is best.

Right now, there appears to be only four extensions for playing videos that actually work in GMS 2.

GMLVideo by Taylor Dale
- All platforms except HTML5
- Video must be converted to a special format only useable to the extension
- Render the video like a 2D sprite supporting depth or even a 3D texture
- Play multiple videos at once
- Pause, stop, loop, etc.

Video Player - Direct Show by Samuel Venable
- Windows only
- AVI, WMV, MPG, or MPEG
- Keep aspect ratio or full scale
- Fills the whole game window
- waits for video to finish / not skip-able
- One video at a time
- No pause, stop, or loop.
- No 3D support

exVideo HTML5 by alexandervrs
- HTML5 only
- MP4, M4V, OGV, WEBM, etc.
- Youtube videos
- Play, stop, pause, loop, etc.
- Video transparency
- No depth support
- Rotation support
- 3D support

HTML5 Video Control by ShadeSpeed
- HTML5 only
- MP4, M4V, OGV, WEBM, etc.
- Play multiple videos at once
- Play, stop, pause, loop, etc.
- No depth or rotation support
- No 3D support

cttVideoPlayer by Captain Ten Thirty
- Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Almost any video file format you can think of, (uses FFMPEG)
- Keeps aspect ratio only
- Fills the whole game window
- Pause, stop, loop, etc.
- No depth or rotation support
- No 3D support

GML Video Player - Edge Engine by ThinkBoxly
- Not actually a video player; converts your video into a sequence of images and plays the associated audio track in sync with the image sequence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the list. I've tried all but one.

GMLVideo takes an extremely long time to convert the video (5-12 hours), maybe more or less depending on size of video and settings. It also takes a while to load in the game. And the end result is almost a gigabyte size file that is a low quality video. (I used like a 3 minute video).

exVideo doesn't work on mobile browsers and has trouble scaling the video to the full game window.

HTML5 Video Control also doesn't work on mobile browsers. At least not when I've tried it.

I haven't tried Video Player - Direct yet.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Thanks for the list. I've tried all but one.

[snip]

I haven't tried Video Player - Direct yet.
You're welcome! :) For "Video Player - Direct Show", you can't drag the window by the title bar, close the game, maximize, or minimize the window, while the video is playing. This can be observed from the free demo which I encourage all users to download and test before their purchase.

You're welcome! :) For "Video Player - Direct Show", you can't drag the window by the title bar, close the game, maximize, or minimize the window, while the video is playing. This can be observed from the free demo which I encourage all users to download and test before their purchase.
Thanks.

So my only issue now is getting an HTML5 Video extension working on mobile browsers. Has anyone gotten one working? Any ideas?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Just seen this one which released in the last few days, sounds better than the others but is Windows only.

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5792/video-player-pro
In case anyone who was wondering, Tech 558 is Lonewolff. He changed his username on there and it used to be GameDevJas. I know this because I bought his old video player for GMS 1.4 which grants me visibility to his old video player which points to his new username. I find it kind of messed up he mentions very specifically "deprecated API's like DirectShow" when DirectShow is not deprecated, it has some deprecated features, like ANY Windows API, but my extension DOES NOT make use of ANY of those deprecated features. You can see from the DLL's source code that I provide with my extension that I don't use any of those deprecated interfaces. I'm going to report his extension for giving false information. He even mentions "no need for a special converter" so he's bashing @zbox's video player in his extension as well.

Edit:

Reported for false advertising. :D

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
In case anyone who was wondering, Tech 558 is Lonewolff. He changed his username on there and it used to be GameDevJas. I know this because I bought his old video player for GMS 1.4 which grants me visibility to his old video player which points to his new username. I find it kind of messed up he mentions very specifically "deprecated API's like DirectShow" when DirectShow is not deprecated, it has some deprecated features, like ANY Windows API, but my extension DOES NOT make use of ANY of those deprecated features. You can see from the DLL's source code that I provide with my extension that I don't use any of those deprecated interfaces. I'm going to report his extension for giving false information. He even mentions "no need for a special converter" so he's bashing @zbox's video player in his extension as well.

Edit:

For further reference, archive of name changes. What a butt.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I have nothing personal against Lonewolff but there are some things he does I really wish he just didn't do.

rIKmAN

Ah I did't actually know it was Lonewolff, I saw he retweeted Tech 558 and thought it was just someone he knew or followed or whatever and remembered this thread, so thought I'd post it.

However...
He even mentions "no need for a special converter" so he's bashing @zbox's video player in his extension as well.

Edit:
I don't think that can be classed as "bashing" whatsoever, he's stating a fact that his video player doesn't need to be converted when compared to others that do.

You even mentioned one above that needs converting to a special format - were you bashing him by putting that and trying to make yours sound better?

To call it that is a a big leap when it's factually correct, and the cheesy grin smiley after claiming to report him is just a bit weird.
What is he "false advertising" may I ask?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I was listing both pros and cons for each extension, showing no partiality to anyone. I also didn't mention it in my asset's description. Lonewolff went out of his way to mention ONLY the cons of other extensions and put it right in his extension's description. He mentioned other people's work very specifically and why you shouldn't use theirs and why you should use his. Big difference.

What is he "false advertising" may I ask?
He mentions my extension's use of DirectShow as a "deprecated" API. I already explained in full that DirectShow is NOT a deprecated API so please don't make me repeat myself. I did report him, and I explained this very thing in my report's contents. YYG can confirm my report.

Edit:
This extension is based on the latest technology to ensure that it will pass certification on the Windows Store and does not use deprecated API's such as DirectShow and no file conversion utilities are required. Just load the video file of choice and go!
His description used to say "no NASTY file conversion utilities are required". He must of saw this thread and updated his description. I'm sorry but that is bashing, and so much so that he felt the need to cover it up. Seriously.

Edit2:

I realize now I was kinda overreacting a little bit. Sorry about that.

rIKmAN

Lonewolff went out of his way to mention ONLY the cons of other extensions and put it right in his extension's description. He mentioned other people's work very directly and specifically and why you shouldn't use theirs and why you should use his. Big difference.
Why would anyone mention other assets in their own asset description?
(Unless they were their own other assets of course)

It's not his job to market your (or anyone elses) asset - that's your job.
If an author doesn't like people knowing that an asset uses DirectShow, or converts a video to images behind the scenes, then they shouldn't do those thing - it's going to be common knowledge in the end anyway when people buy / use them.

As you said yourself when you listed the pros and cons of the other assets, most don't do "fully featured" video playing - they convert to intermediary formats / images, don't pause or rewind etc.
When you listed those cons above I didn't think for a second you were "bashing" any of them, I took it as you were just giving a rundown of the assets, how they worked and what they did for the benefit of the user / community.

As a customer I would like to know if his does things differently, otherwise I might assume it does the same thing as all the others, not bother looking into it and assume that video playing is just poorly supported in GMS and all the assets don't give a complete package.

Him pointing out that his asset doesn't use certain technologies or techniques is marketing his own asset, not bashing the others that do - you have tried to turn it into it being that yourself.

Do you complain to the Advertising Standards Authority when McDonalds tell everyone they only use "UK Sourced Beef" when their competitors source it from abroad, or when BMW advertise a new braking technology that their competitors don't use?

Of course not - that's advertising, pointing out the features of your product to make people want to buy it over competitors.
As long as McDonalds / BMW don't directly mention competitors in a derogatory manner and only point out things related to their products there is no issue, so I don't see why there should be an issue here either.

I don't know the history of you and Lonewollf (if any) but I feel you are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill for some reason.
He didn't mention anyone or any other asset by name, and pointing out that his doesn't do things in the way some other assets do it is good for the customers and allows them to make an informed decision.
He mentions my extension's use of DirectShow as a "deprecated" API. I already explained in full that DirectShow is NOT a deprecated API so please don't make me repeat myself. I did report him, and I explained this very thing in my report's description.
No he doesn't.
He doesn't specifically mention "your" asset at all, he points out that his doesn't use DirectShow, and his doesn't convert to an intermediary format - sure the tenous link is there to those assets that do use those, but he has done nothing wrong in pointing out that his doesn't use those things or doesn't convert the video to something else first.

It's not like he has said "...like those other assets: <asset name> and <asset name>", which I think would then be a problem.
Edit:
His description used to say "no NASTY file conversion utilities are required". He must of saw this thread and updated his description. I'm sorry but that is bashing, and so much so that he felt the need to cover it up.
I don't remember seeing it say "nasty" (and especially not capitalised), but I only looked at it quickly and then posted the link in this thread.
Even if it did - converting to video to a series of images, or some intermediary format is a nasty way to play a video back in my opinion - and seemingly his too - and as a potential customer I'd like to know how an asset works before I decide to buy it where possible.

As a sidenote, I just quickly checked out the assets you listed above, and the first one I clicked (GMLVideo) has this in the description:
Compared to other Marketplace assets, that emulate cross-platform "video" by loading images as quickly as possible from the hard drive (virtually unusable on mobile devices and a big battery drainer) GMLVideo uses hard drive streaming, caching and on the fly decompression to deliver a fast and smooth video output.
Based off your logic so far, you better report him too for "bashing" the asset that converts video to images and calling it "unusable on mobile and a big battery drainer". As well as also directly mentioning "other Marketplace assets" - or does that one not bother because it doesn't directly compete with yours / mention DirectShow?

Edit: Just seen your edit, that's what I was trying to explain above - mountain out of a molehill etc.

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

Compared to other Marketplace assets, that emulate cross-platform "video" by loading images as quickly as possible from the hard drive (virtually unusable on mobile devices and a big battery drainer) GMLVideo uses hard drive streaming, caching and on the fly decompression to deliver a fast and smooth video output.
I actually didn't know that was in the description of GMLVideo, but I don't think that is the same because the asset he is talking about is calling itself a video player when all it does is play images - which is also false advertizing. I find it perfectly justified that zbox brought that up. I really don't feel like talking about this anymore as I think it won't get anywhere. Like I said, sorry about that.

rIKmAN

I actually didn't know that was in the description of GMLVideo, but I don't think that is the same because the asset he is talking about is calling itself a video player when all it does is play images - which is also false advertizing. I find it perfectly justified that zbox brought that up. I really don't feel like talking about this anymore as I think it won't get anywhere. Like I said, sorry about that.
Your point was "bashing" other assets though, which is still what that is (more so than Lonewolffs IMO).

I agree with the video player thing being a little misleading, but (playing devils advocate here) to the "end user" it plays a video - so it does what it says on the tin, and "technically" a video is just a sequence of frames played in order at a certain speed...
As I said not that I don't agree with you on that one, but there are two way to look at things.

No worries, and an apology wasn't necessary - it's all opinions and we are all entitled to them.
You thought it was bashing, I didn't - we voiced our opinions. Isn't that what a forum is for? :)

zbox

GMC Elder
Yeah, I was indeed referring to the "video player" which just loaded PNG images, that did actually deserve to be called out.

And RE having to use a proprietary format, this is the example and reasoning I always give. Packaging up is the only way to currently provide a smooth and consistent user experience across ALL platforms, which is the sole objective of GMLVideo. This mentality is reflected in the very highly used Bink technology that is used in commercial games for cross-platform support. Not to say that the two products are equivalent, Bink is huge, but just to dispel the notion that having a proprietary format is "bad", whereas it might actually be the best solution in appropriate cases.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

This extension is based on the latest technology (Microsoft Media Foundation) to ensure that it will pass certification on the Windows Store and does not use legacy API's such as DirectShow or open source libraries (LGPL, GPL, etc), so there are no software licencing concerns, and no file conversion utilities are required. Just load the video file of choice and go!
Lonewolff updated his description again, he mentions GPL now. I know why. He's watching this thread and getting pissed. Several YEARS ago, and I have several witnesses from a different community - I accused him of stealing GPL code for his old video player for GMS 1.4 - but that was YEARS ago - the GPL code I accused him of using just so happened to use DirectShow, so now I'm under the impression he reported me back and accused me of the same thing as a form of payback. Too bad he has absolutely zero proof I did that, and as you can see from some of the variable names and whatnot I used mostly code samples from MSDN's documentation, along with a little help from a user on the BlitzMax/Monkey-X community. He really needs to let things go.

rIKmAN

@zbox
Yeah I agree with the "all platforms" comment, as proven by the assets that play an actual video "as-is" being Windows only.

@Samuel Venable
You just apologised for overreacting and then starting going off again in the next post taking jabs at him again.
If you have "accused" him before then I guess you do have history with him, and it seems also a history of pointing the finger and accusing other creators of various things - which isn't a good look - especially not without evidence, and when accusing others without any actual grounds to do so (like the case in this thread IMO).

Rather than airing old dirty laundry and coming across as a little bitter, I suggest you should take your own advice and "let things go", contact him directly, or contact YYG and ask the question. Going from zero to "reported him for false advertising" with a happy/grinning emoji is a little over the top, especially when an asset you listed in your rundown above includes text that does exactly what you are so worked up at Lonewollf about when his doesn't even do it.

With the history you just posted, it's coming across more like a little personal vendetta you have with him.

There is a quote here that I think is quite apt: "Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners."

Before you miss the message and go straight to accusing you me of calling you a loser, the point I'm trying to make is that you should concentrate on yourself and making the best possible assets, games, tools or whatever, and not waste time focusing on others. That goes for any walk of life, not just here.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

You'd have to be there to understand why I came to that conclusion. He changed the word "deprecated" to "legacy" although that is basically the same thing so it's still false. But yeah, you're right. I think I should just let this whole thing blow over and forget about it.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
My opinion on this is that it's not worth the hassle. The member in question has proven themselves to be rather prone to editing things to suit their whims (they edited all their posts on the forum to some crap phrase, which was petty and vindictive, imho, as it rendered a few topics useless to future users - thankfully my super admin powers can undo these things) and I think it's perfectly understandable to get cross with them. However it may be that this is just what they want, and even if it's not, ask yourself "are they really worth my time and all this anxiety"? The answer is probably no...

As this topic has been well and truly answered right at the start, I'll be closing it just now as this really isn't the place to be discussing such things. Everybody needs to take a chill pill and just concentrate on those that they love and that love them and ignore toxicity wherever they find it.

Sermon over...

:bunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.