Best screen recording software?

G

GM029

Which screen recording software do you use to record your game? I'm ready to record a progress video on my game and would like to post it to YouTube. Looking for recommendations. This is using Windows 10.

B

Blakkid489

OBS is okay. It great way to separeate mic from game sound if thats your thing.

I use Bandicam. It records easily in any format to high quality. Only problem is the mic combination is crappy and not easily manageable.

Bingdom

Googledom
OBS - Can take a bit effort to set it up correctly. Personally, I believe it's the best recording software.

Reactions: Roa
M

MishMash

Having used a number of screen recording programs over the years, I can say that OBS (Open Broadcast Software) smashes all of the common ones (Fraps, Hypercam (lol), bandicam) out of the park. It is completely free, supports custom scene organisation (so you can capture specific windows, specific monitors etc), you can move all of the feeds around in the image, there are a whole host of plugins to add additional functionality too.

As far as performance goes, its pretty lightweight, and you can scale up/scale down the quality as you need with ease. It is perfectly capable of capturing a very high quality feed at a high framerate :)! Finally, there are also options for GPU accelerated encoding which can aid performance too.

I'm a huge advocate for well made software, so OBS gets my vote any day of the week :) (I have also never lost footage with OBS, I have done with fraps).

The only benefit fraps has is that it is catered for game capture, though certain things don't work correctly with it. Its not a bad piece of software, but Its not as good as OBS. (its also not free).

S

StuffandThings85

Camtasia is a great program, but it's a tad expensive. You could check their other program, Snag It, which is much cheaper. I couldnt get it to work with my setup maybe it will work for you. They also offer a student discount (I don't think you even need proof of being a student).

Bingdom

Googledom
Camtasia is a great program, but it's a tad expensive. You could check their other program, Snag It, which is much cheaper. I couldnt get it to work with my setup maybe it will work for you. They also offer a student discount (I don't think you even need proof of being a student).
Why pay for something that will deliver the same results? :)

S

StuffandThings85

Why pay for something that will deliver the same results? :)
I had some issues with fraps getting to work with my microphone, plus fraps would only record a certain window and it was really annoying. Also, I got sick of importing into and using Vegas. And as ^he said, it has its own built-in editing.

Bingdom

Googledom
But the OP is asking for recording software to record his gameplay, not for a trailer. Maybe they'll change their mind later.

A

Alyxx

I use FRAPS myself but there is better stuff to use, especially for streaming.

G

GM029

Thanks guys, I've been trying OBS, it works pretty well for my current needs. I want to record a video of my game and put a little commentary over it so I want it to record both the game sound and external mic which OBS appears to do. It took me a minute to realize that I needed to be in full screen mode before it would record video (I'm sure there is a setting for that).

S

Sensei

Hey, I can recommend you Action! Mirillis software. I have only trial version, but i can say it works for me - it's interface is "intuitive", so it is really easy to use (i'm noob, tried other softwares and they were too confusing for me).
Anyone tried it?

0.Bytes

It is probably not the best, but one of the softwares that I really like to have is "atube" you can do pretty much everything with this software =p and it is free

It is really easy to record screen, + the files are not that heavy and you have a bunch of different formats to choose for your video.

Besides that you can download audio from youtube (dont do that because it may not be legal xD) and it is also a file converter and some other things.

T

Tayoyo

OBS is okay. It great way to separeate mic from game sound if thats your thing.

I use Bandicam. It records easily in any format to high quality. Only problem is the mic combination is crappy and not easily manageable.
I like bandicam too

G

Guest User

I use Fraps for recording and Camtasia for editing, Fraps is the best, try it :)

B

Blakkid489

I use Fraps for recording and Camtasia for editing, Fraps is the best, try it :)
I think fraps and bandicam have a similar system. If anything, fraps is more undesrtanding but bandicam uses less cpu. With fraps, if your cpu can handle it then you can record some boss frames. Bandicam just needs a better mic system.

In truth Bandicam is the way to go

G

Guest User

I think fraps and bandicam have a similar system. If anything, fraps is more undesrtanding but bandicam uses less cpu. With fraps, if your cpu can handle it then you can record some boss frames. Bandicam just needs a better mic system.

In truth Bandicam is the way to go
Agree. Fraps generate separated large-size AVIs.

Gamebot

Camtasia is what I use. It works great! The only issue you may come across is TRUE "FULL SCREEN" not wanting to record. You can just resize the recording area not in fullscreen.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Windows 10 XboxLive video recorder is actually pretty damn good. Can record at 30 or 60 fps, has different options for quality and you can trim down your videos within the Xboxlive app too. I haven't used anything else since I started using it. :) If you want to try it, hold the Win key and press G. ;)

F

Falconsoft-Industries

I heard camtasia is spyware and infects the computer, is this true?
;)

Bingdom

Googledom
It certainly is! A professional company has its ways!

--
But seriously, the only times when it is a virus is when you obtain it from an unknown source (except if the trusted website gets hacked). Get it from the techsmith website and you should be fine.

Last edited:

Gamebot

;)
I have had it for several years, upgrading when needed. Hasn't caused any issues yet. As posted above get it from the techsmith website. Payed version actually works better! Though, the remove color sometimes gets touchy even with chroma green. Tends to take green out of the whole scene. Anyone else have this issue?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Windows 10 XboxLive video recorder is actually pretty damn good. (snip)
Finally got around to trying this... and you're right.

Fewer features than dedicated recording software, but for a built-in Windows app, it's very good. Even with the default settings, the video quality is high. It's easy to launch, and it stops recording when the game window is closed.

W

Williams Smith

I used TuneFab Screen Recorder to help me record the games and along with Window Game Bar.screenshot-record-video-and-audio.png

L

Lonewolff

OBS does a pretty decent job.

If I really want to have top notch quality, I'll capture each frame in game and run through Premiere or something, but that is tedious.

If quality isn't my main concern, OBS al, the way.

Actually, I have heard that is great also. Haven't tried yet though. Makes sense to use something native.
I wish more Youtubers / streamers did this as they all seem to have problems with GameMaker on full screen. You should always have options for windowed, large full screen windowed and all those frills. Oh and the game should always start in windowed mode, because some monitors / systems have a tough time with full screen in general. Others have a tough time with full screen + v-sync.

About the full screen + v-sync warn users it can make your screen go black due to monitor / hardware compatibility and then to turn off v-sync before going to full screen. I've seen a lot of complaints in user forums about how a game is a black screen when it starts. Sure the remedy is alt + Enter in most cases, but not everyone knows that.

If you do start in windowed mode make sure that the window stretches to a visible amount. I remember being in a GameBoy game jam where a streamer never bothered to look into the options to find full screen or screen stretch, so they recorded in the default size which was the GameBoy's native resolution. The streamer probably couldn't find settings as such a tiny resolution makes things tough to read.

Oh and when you stretch, stretch in increments of 50% (100% 150% 200% 250%). 50% looks far less ugly than other percentages like when I tried 25% or even filling the game window to 90% of the screen.

Last edited:
W

William Lee

Hello,
As for me, I usually used tuneskit screen recorder to capture the process in video format when i'm playing the games. It's easy to operate and the quality is high. Besides, it supports various output formats and devices such as iphones, android phones, smart TVs, etc. I can even share this video recordings to the social platforms like Youtube, facebook, etc.

K12gamer

How about Nvidia Shadowplay or Windows 10's Windows button + G?
I was going to suggest that too.

I tried OBS and Windows 10 recorder and a few others suggested here.
All seem to work well.

The real problem occurs when trying to find a FREE site to upload your videos to.
Youtube used to be good...but with recent changes seems to be getting worse...:oops:

Last edited: