• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Best Possible Laptop to Run GMS2?

E

Ephemeral

So I might be a position to splurge on a new laptop soon, and I had the thought that if there's one criteria I'd like to optimize for, it's generic reliability, and then specifically running GMS2.

So, what is the single best possible laptop model for GMS2 development work?

No, I'm not asking what laptop you use.

No, I'm not asking what laptop brand you're loyal to.

No, I'm not asking for generic laptop recommendations.

I want to know specifically which models of laptop the Devs at YoYo design GMS2 for and test GMS2 on, so I can get the smallest possible chance of weird problems. Does anyone have this information?

breakmt

I don't think laptop can be best option for development. I'm sure desktop is much better for this.
But if you think you will make games in forest or in travels... Ignore my comment :)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Your question is targeted at the part of the member base that does not actively browse the forums, does not actively reply to topics and is most likely not going to share the kind of information you're requesting because we all know they're too ashamed to admit that they don't test GMS2 in the first pla-*gets shot by Mike*

This leaves us with merely the option to give general recommendations.

The compiler is multi-threaded, so multi-core CPUs will have an advantage there.
Using a RAM drive to store project files while you're working on them (and then moving them back to a hard drive) can help speed up saving, loading and compile time of projects.
Installing GMS2 on an SSD helps speed up program startup time.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Just meet the minimum spec and you will only be experiencing the wierdness we all do. (A lot of weirdness lately)

You see, it's a bit of a wierd question, because computers are good at running the same things.
GMS2 runs on the .Net framework. So that is one layer that will ensure everything runs the same on different operating systems.
.Net runs on the Operating system, which will ensure memory and other resources get allocated as expected even on different architecture.
The OS runs on the x86-64 CPU architecture (probably), so it will behave the same (mostly) on different CPUs.

On the graphics side we have cross platform APIs and drivers which do the same things.

Toque

I don't think laptop can be best option for development. I'm sure desktop is much better for this.
But if you think you will make games in forest or in travels... Ignore my comment :)
Laptops are great. Just add extra monitors.

GMWolf

aka fel666
As a student, a laptop is really quite useful! I can take it in class, and back home on holiday!

E

Ephemeral

No, see, I already have a desktop with GMS2 installed. I specifically want to know about laptops. (Because, among other reasons, for some reason laptop batteries are magic out of the box while it's still impossible to buy a UPS that isn't more dangerous to your system than the power failure(s) it protects from... *shudder*)

Wont that give you good information?
Unless someone specifically has an anecdote about "oh I bought high-profile-gaming-laptop-brand-X and it hates GMS2 for Y reason", no.

because we all know they're too ashamed to admit that they don't test GMS2 in the first pla-*gets shot by Mike*
lol

You see, it's a bit of a weird question, because computers are good at running the same things.
Spend five minutes in this Tech Support subforum and you will never believe that again. >.> :p

Geoff Jones

Well what about "oh I bought high-profile-gaming-laptop-brand-X and it LOVES GMS2!" That would be rather useful information wouldn't it?
Notice you didn't get the answer you were looking for. Ask the right questions next time. It also does't hurt to watch you P's and Q's. No one here owes you anything.

rIKmAN

No, I'm not asking what laptop you use.
No, I'm not asking what laptop brand you're loyal to.
No, I'm not asking for generic laptop recommendations.
OK...
I want to know specifically which models of laptop the Devs at YoYo design GMS2 for and test GMS2 on
Well how are GMS users meant to know that?
Get in touch with support, they are the ones that will know the answer to that very specific question.

PS. Never had any UPS problems either, probably user error.

D

Deleted member 13992

I mean, there's a good chance the "best possible laptop for GMS2" is also probably the "best possible laptop period". Since there's no real distinction between GMS2 and other beefy software/games as far as computer hardware is concerned. So I hope you have a few tens of thousands of dollars lying around.

Which is why you need to compromise and narrow your question down a lot. GMS2 isn't exactly the most resource demanding software. You only need a good workstation laptop. "the best" is way wayyyyy overkill for something like GMS2.

About the UPS thing, some of them can be very reliable. At work, it's mandatory for some of of my technical directors to have them, occasionally we get a power outage and I start to hear them beeping. Can't recall a single issue regarding "dangerous UPS" for all 14 years I've worked there.