• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - GML Visual Best layout for autotiling feature?

Schwee

I'm still just learning the new features of GM2 and I'd definitely like to take advantage of the autotiling. Anyone have any good tutorials or examples of this process? Thanks!

Schwee

Very cool. I also took a solid look at the documentation and found a lot of my answers there. It seems like the 47 tile template will work for my platformer, however, I am not sure how to handle sloped tiles. Perhaps just manually swapping those areas once the main auto tiling phase is complete? Any other suggestions?

Edit: Very happy with GM2 at the moment. I created a second auto tiling setup (using the 47 btw) but I used diagonals instead of corners, and the auto tiling works flawlessly. I have to switch which auto tiling I am using but it's still much better than going about it manually.

I would love to see GM2 add a feature to the auto tiling where you can hold 'alt' and paint a different version of the tile for each position. You'd have 47 main tiles and 47 alt tiles to choose from.

Last edited:

csanyk

I think there are a lot of things left for me to learn about tiles and auto tiling, but from what I've seen there are some features that I can envision that would be nice to see from YYG eventually that would further enhance what they've done for auto tiling.

For example, from what I've seen so far, there doesn't appear to be a way to work with two different sets of auto tiles in a way that allows them to blend together. For example, if I want a set of tiles for grass land, and a set of tiles for a dirt road, blending the two together so that they look natural is desirable, but I don't see how to do that yet with the built-in auto tiling. I'm not sure if this is just my inexperience with auto tiling, maybe there is a way to do it and I just haven't thought through the capabilities of what's already there.

I like the idea of an alt-set for auto tile, since it would help to break up the visual monotony and make for more interesting designs without adding a lot of extra work for the developer when laying out a tile map. What I can offer instead, for now, is to create an alt set of tiles, and apply them over the original auto tile layer, in a new layer. The alt tiles don't necessarily need to be a complete set of tiles, and do not necessarily need to be an auto tile set. But having a set of "decorative" tiles that add things like extra rocks, tufts of grass, cracks or texture, etc. that you can spot-place here and there, can go a long way.

c023-DeV

The 47 tile version actually could give you 3 types of 'materials' the solid wall, water/grass and then little bridges (solo tiles)

Check this thread on autotiles (also check the earlier posts):
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9859.60

(edit: I still use my own autotiling since I could not access the built in autotiles per code... and I prefer my procedure ... I design the level with x² sized tiles and then place the final tiles within via code... I used to use 47 tiles but for my style that is getting too much since I also do random variations etc...)

This was an layout based on an old script from @Nocturne the last row was for variations:

As you can see that is terrible to paint on, so I paintet the tilles in a different layout and used a Photoshop automation to resort them, then I made a little tool within gamemaker to resort tile layouts... but it's quite a hack...)

In the end I'd prefer a layout that is good to paint on
;)

Last edited:

Schwee

So I take it these custom scrpits don't update the tiles live inside the room editor? The auto tiling is generated when the game is run?