OFFICIAL Best GameMaker Game 2020

I'm kinda new to this, but why does the game have to be commercially published?
Why are you announcing this May 21st and the game had to be commercially published by April 30th?
Is this an annual thing so everyone should have known it was coming?
Is there a similar competition for high school students who aren't professional developers?

O.Stogden

Why are you announcing this May 21st and the game had to be commercially published by April 30th?
Is there a similar competition for high school students who aren't professional developers?
I don't think it's annual, it just appeared out of nowhere, correct me if I'm wrong and there were 2018 and 2019 awards though. (Although I doubt there was 2019 given the time period of this event).

But don't mind me, I'm just salty that my game launches in June 2020 and doesn't qualify for the 2020 awards. ;)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Surely this should be GOTY 2019, seeing as it's all 12 months of 2019 and only 4 months of 2020. :p
No... the award is being given in 2020, so it's the 2020 awards... ;)

That's just one of the conditions... no idea why, but I'd assume it's to ensure a minimum of quality otherwise they'd be swamped by submissions!!!

That's just the conditions for entry. Any game published after that date can apply for the 2021 awards!

Yes and no. We hope it'll be an annual thing, but this is the first year that it's being done.

Not at the moment, but it's something YYG are considering.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
Are this really only for games made with GM2? I published a game last year with GM1.4. Does it count?

gnysek

Are this really only for games made with GM2? I published a game last year with GM1.4. Does it count?
They ended GMS 1.4 support long time ago, they even aren't selling it, why it should count? Also, nothing was stopping you from release a game in last year in recent version of GMS2. It was your choice to use tool that has sunset already. It's already n 3 years since they announced this - https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/436/gamemaker-studio-1-4-sunset .

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
They ended GMS 1.4 support long time ago, they even aren't selling it, why it should count? Also, nothing was stopping you from release a game in last year in recent version of GMS2. It was your choice to use tool that has sunset already. It's already n 3 years since they announced this - https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/436/gamemaker-studio-1-4-sunset .
Wow, are we bitter today, aren't we?

Like the article said: until 31 July 2018. My development started way back on 2017. No, I didn't upgraded because of instabilities of new versions and I didn't want to compromise the project timeline.

It's already n 3 years since they announced this - https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/436/gamemaker-studio-1-4-sunset .
So much this, lol. I mean, literally 3 years and there's still people all the time posting complaints about bugs in 1.4 or talking about GMS2 as though it's impossible to use...If they had of just switched over 3 years ago, they would have forgotten what 1.4 was even like and be very comfortable using the "new" style.

[/SALT MODE DISENGAGED]

I'm keen to see who wins this (and even what all the entries are) as I feel like this award might appeal to some people who use GMS professionally or semi-professionally but don't really use the forums.

Toque

Nominating games would of been fun too. Or voting. I sent a link to a few devs with games I enjoyed this year. Im sure there are a few I forgot......

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
@Kezarus if it's any consolation, I feel your pain and understand perfectly why you'd want to stick with 1.4 to finish the project. As the saying goes, you don't change horses mid-race. ;)

Now, guys, this is a cool thing that YoYo are doing, so let's not spoil it with pettiness...
@Nocturne, yes, just like you said. You are the best.

I was just surprised for the reaction, as the people in this forum are usually so nice.

I wish you guys the best contest. Looking forward to see some great games! =]

Cheers!
Kezarus

Just chipping in to say that my salt mode was meant lightheartedly, not as an attack on anyone (don't think it actually came across as lighthearted in the post, lol). Keen to see all the games submitted and happy that this is meant to be a yearly thing, as it gives another way for backyard devs to get a little bit of that sweet sweet public spotlight.

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'm automatically disqualified.. I might win the 'worst' game of 2020, tho. lel

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I accidentally submitted my game twice (I got an "oops, something went wrong" error popup the first time and thought I'd gotten logged out because of inactivity or something so I submitted again). But... that just means I've got twice as high chances of winning, right? :p

gnysek

Wow, are we bitter today, aren't we?
Like the article said: until 31 July 2018. My development started way back on 2017. No, I didn't upgraded because of instabilities of new versions and I didn't want to compromise the project timeline.
There's nothing bitter in reminding, that application which got officially announced end of support, is still not supported 3 years later (in competitions too) :) Except of reminding how fast time passes...

In fact, maybe not all is lost yet, as the rules are not clear here: what if game was released between 1.01.2019-30.04.2020, but was converted to GMS2 after initial release? At the time of application (until June 12th) both "released date" and "made in GameMakerStudio 2" will still be true for such a game. In fact, if the game was released during this time, I understand it can still get an bug-fix/content update even during voting phase, and won't be disqualified?

Would be good if rules would cover this, as maybe there are several people like @Kezarus who will be still able to apply if such thing would be allowed? Rules says nothing about what build of game will be checked before public voting (which doesn't require to play games at all), some people may even have not keep initial release on their disks today - and even if YYG would require a copy of each game to be sure it's made using GMS2, it still can be cheated to just change clock on system, and make a new build even today, and update released game on all channels, pretending it was GMS2 version from beginning, and it just got some small bug fix last day... I hope there's no cheaters among us, still it's better to allow it than forbid. In context of content those games will be still the same games.

So, my proposal is to update rules a little:

- game was first released between 1.01.2019-30.04.2020 (including both dates)
- at day of submission, "live"/latest version of game executable was made using GMS 2 on all sales channels
(so also at day of voting if someone wants to buy/play game - he will get GMS2 version of it)

That would also prevent facing mudslinging that any game was at any point made using 1.x, even if it was converted to 2.x long before 1.01.2019. As there was no such competition in recent years, a small loosen in first edition wouldn't be something bad, from next years people will be more prepared (I hope it will be continued, that's what community needs!) :)