Audio BeepBox..

N

NeonBits

I use Beepbox (and SFXR) for my project. Some sounds are "low frequency"; when listening, it's like playing half of the volume. Wave:"Triangle", Chorus: "Hum", Transition: "Smooth" "Slide", Filter:"Soft" are exemples. It's not realy loud. Any advice on how to pop up the volume while keeping audio quality?

Also, it's difficult to balance all the sounds in the game. How do you manage your sounds to have them on the same level? You just listen and play with the volume bar or you also view the frequency through codes? I mean, if I set the volume to 25%, some sounds still bust the ears and I go lower their volume in properties; somehow, I feel I'm missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like your problem might be stacking sound effects each frame will make them louder. GMS seems terrible with sound balance. A sound effect too loud will lower the music and vise versa. Even maximizing the sound files doesn't seem to do anything to balance out the issues.

N

NeonBits

Yeah, who knows, could be the case. I try to be careful with "audio_play_sound()" but I'll check this again. Good to know about the sound balance. I guess I must continue with the ears. Still not sure if it's better to work with headset or not; audio feels different without it.

Joe Ellis

I'd use a daw to mix and eq the sounds, and test them playing together
I think gm's sound system is the same as most other digital sound systems, they're linear, which means each sound played adds into the same signal,
so all you need to do is mix and eq them right, the same as you would with a song, and I highly recommend doing this in a daw before and get them all sounding right together, then export them, and they'll sound just like that in the game

N

NeonBits

(two months later, I know) well thanks. I dunno if I'll get that far. Not much energy left. Seems ok with an headset.
I was wondering, one fx sound I've made, I've just realised it's the same as a coin sound in SuperMario; is it bad or I should change it?

T

Taddio

Maybe too late this time, but...For the volume thing, next time just go to audacity or some other D.A.W. and put your sounds in a limiter or compressor/limiter effect, that's what gives the impression of loudness in most modern recordings. Just make sure your audio doesn't clip at/over 0 dB and try not to have too much gain reduction (just a couple dB), or you will get some very unpleasant distortion artifacts in your sound.

N

NeonBits

Noted. I had audacity in the past. But when I see now its file size, I leave it. I don't understand. My "done with it feeling" wants me to neglect what's left of the project; anyway, it's not big and its soundtrack is... hum... funny... Days will tell if I check the audio again.

I'm just wondering about that "coin" sound; the mgm lion, its roar is copyrighted; what about that mario coin sound? Totaly feels like a signature.

T

Taddio

If you made the SFX yourself, then no, it doesn't matter if it "sounds" the same.
If you took a coin sample and tweaked it, nope, you can't really use that (even if it doesn't sound the same at all anymore).

N

NeonBits

It was made. But it's strange that a sound turned into something totally different cannot be used.