Asset - Project Beat'em Up Engine

ChrisC

Im confused. Are the art assets of this based on the art from the Scott Pilgrim Game or is the Scott Pilgrim games assets based on this templates?

❤️×1

Let me thiiiiiink.

Does Paul Robertson, one of the most well known pixel artist in the world, based his 2010 work for the adaptation of a movie/comic on the stick figure of a small asset for GMS released in 2018? I'd say no. Yeah, bold move, I know.

ChrisC

Let me thiiiiiink.

Does Paul Robertson, one of the most well known pixel artist in the world, based his 2010 work for the adaptation of a movie/comic on the stick figure of a small asset for GMS released in 2018? I'd say no. Yeah, bold move, I know.
haha, makes sense. I did always think the fluidity of the stick figures in this template felt professionally animated.

Slyzappy1

To Anyone else who owns this. Do you know how to code it so that you can have 2 controllers working at once as apposed to one using a keypad and one using a controller?

To Anyone else who owns this. Do you know how to code it so that you can have 2 controllers working at once as apposed to one using a keypad and one using a controller?
Just go Scripts -> Gameplay - CheckInputs
It's as basic as it can get so I'll just leave it at that! Worst case scenario, just copy the player 2 code in player 1, but change the gamepad id from 0 to 1

Slyzappy1

I just had a couple of random questions for anyone who's brought this asset.

1.This is a bit of a random question but I don't want the enemy grab mechanic in the game right now. Is there any way to get rid of it without it breaking the "pick up" feature?
I just want to make it so that the player can't grab the enemy anymore, but everytime I delete code related to it, the character still manages to keep grabbing enemies.

2. I'm also trying to make it so that the health bar continuously refills, if anyone could help me with that, it'd really help.

3. Where is the code that has the "press 1 or 2 to continue" when you die input as I want to change the key press to a gamepad press.

Again I'm Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm just a bit stuck.

Last edited:
Hey man, I thought I'd answer here instead, so other people could benefit as well!

1.This is a bit of a random question but I don't want the enemy grab mechanic in the game right now. Is there any way to get rid of it without it breaking the "pick up" feature?
I just want to make it so that the player can't grab the enemy anymore, but everytime I delete code related to it, the character still manages to keep grabbing enemies.
This will require a little bit of cleanup if you want to get rid of it all, but you can probably just deactivate it just by going in
par_player -> begin step > comment out grabRight and grabLeft lines (lines 4 and 5). It will be a quick rollback if you decide you change your mind down the road, too.

2. I'm also trying to make it so that the health bar continuously refills, if anyone could help me with that, it'd really help.
Health bar are drawn automatically. Variables are "life" and "maxLife". You can simply increase "life" by some amount every step if it's not maxed, and the bar will be updated automatically.
Note, tho, that you have access to these in BOTH oParPlayer and oParEnemy, so you will have to change both objects if you want everyone to refill. If you want only the player to refill, don't tweak oParEnemy

3. Where is the code that has the "press 1 or 2 to continue" when you die input as I want to change the key press to a gamepad press.
This code is all in oGame object. As you can see, the events are hardcoded (key press 1 and 2), but their behavior is simply creating player instances. Dying in this asset is simply calling instance_destroy on you.
That means if you keep it like this, you wont be able to put "resurrect" code in oParPlayer, because it's already destroyed by that point, hence why it's in oGame. Definitely possible and as simple as it gets to change it for a gamepad input, tho! The actual display message can be tweaked in the oGUImsg object.