Asset - Project Beat'em Up Engine

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Curial Lloses, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Working in Grabs and Throws is being funny! :D

[​IMG]

2. ❤️×1

❤️×1 Member

... Everytime I visit the GM Community forums, there is something new and cool to see on this topic :3

Curial Lloses likes this.
  3. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

This is the kind of beating that happens when you remove chanceToHit factor to enemies ;)
    [​IMG]

GRABs and THROWs coming in next update as soon as I clean the code an check for bugs!

zmads likes this.
  4. zmads

zmads Member

You can throw in backward and forward?

5. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Is not exactly how I've made it. You can throw in backward and you can hit forward while grabbed. At 5th hit, you hithard and push enemy forward.

Anyway, with a new animation of throw in forward, anyone could replicate backwards code switching Left Input for Right Input. I can imagine an animation like "this is Sparta" in 300s movie. But I'll let to users this kind of engine adaptations :p

6. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Promo banner of what will be in the next update :D

[​IMG]
    Not only aesthetic improvements!

7. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

NEW UPDATE

Already at marketplace

- Added a deformScale() script for more fluid gameplay feeling on jumps
    - Changed HitParticles position from receiver position to hitbox position
    - Added a RECOVER state and stand up animation for enemies
    - Added new heavy hurt animations at KO state
    - Added GRAB and THROW gameplay. Player can GRAB and keep hitting or THROW the enemy backwards
    - Added Special Move
    - Added a new game Background and scenario props
    - Improved engine aesthetics
    - Improved code structure due to its constant growth

Remember to download update to a new project to avoid unwanted incompatibilities with your own projects.

I'll dedicate the following days to polish any new issues so comments about any bug or crash you could find are welcome.

I hope you enjoy it and in case you do I'll appreciate recommendations to your networks a lot! :)

8. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Note

I've just checked that with new update, background is shown in low resolution. That's because, backgrounds sprite is wider than 2048px resolution that is set by default for textures in GMS2. So, I recommend to use smaller textures than the one I've used for the engine but since this is not the point for this asset, for anyone that want to see this background at full resolution, go to Option/Windows/Graphics and set the Texture page size to 4096x4096px.

That's all!

9. Lucia

Lucia Member

finally. I think that I will have it in the future! Now i'm too poor :(

Curial Lloses likes this.
  10. Tran Thi Huyen Trang

Tran Thi Huyen Trang Member

Hi, Looks very impressive, I'm interested in your asset. Can you tell me the Beat'em Up Engine can open or import into GMS1.4? because I saw that: .Asset ported to GMS 1.4 (I just work only with GMS 1.4 so I just want make sure this engine can work with GMS 1.4 without GMS2).

11. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Beat,em Up Engine is only available for GMS 2, sorry about that :/

There's an smaller version fully compatible with GMS 1.4, Beat'em Up Starter Kit which contains the very basics of BeU games to start your own project. You can take a look at it, here: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/7960/beat-em-up-starter-kit

12. Tran Thi Huyen Trang

Thank for replying, so could you upgrade something as engine GMs2 for Gms1 in the future? sadly I didn't get the GMS 2

13. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Sorry, it is not in my plans for the near future. There's lot of code in engine to port to GMS 1.4 and I am working on improvements for the GMS 2 versions :/

But if someday I get the time to port it I will inform all GMS 1.4 users here.

14. Tran Thi Huyen Trang

Thank you for letting me know

15. Taddio

Taddio Member

Man! I have the asset since pretty much day 1 and I'm amazed at how far you gotten. The last update is sick.My buddies asked to play it when they saw it!
    Found a couple glitches where you could be stucked on the roof of buildings if you jump on the car. I took some screenshots, but Im not home atm. Had a crash related to grabbing to, some variable not set, but I didnt think to get a screenshot, sorry.
    But overall man, it's INCREDIBLE!
    An artist and a marketing team could turn this in a smash indie-hit for sure

Edit: screenshot of glitch.
    And looking back at the code the crash occured on line 96 of oParPlayer Step Event (if grabbedId.grabbable and canGrab line). I was simply beating a 3 guys crew, I think 2 died pretty much at the same time, and when I got to grab the last guy, BAM! Crashed.
    Will see if I can replicate more consistently, if it may help.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  16. Sy Dong Pham

Sy Dong Pham Member

I've got same issue as Taddio. Hope your get it fix.
    But overall great asset.

17. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Hello both and thanks for quoting these bugs. First sorry for late answer, it's been busy days and I had the asset a little bit off. @Taddio , could you please give me some more info about the collision glitct after jumping on car? It happens if you keep walking once over the car? I you jump once over the car?

About the grabbing bug I can imagine what's happening since I suppose that the enemy is still grabbable once he/she is in dead animation. I'll take a look and once I have it fixed I will inform you about the update.

18. Taddio

Taddio Member

The collision glitch is not really after jumping on the car, as: 1) it's cool to climb and 2) you can see theres a collision box on top of the door which makes it logical to be able to walk on (reminds me of The Simpsons in NES, somehow!!).
    The glitch is on the 2nd crossroad, you can jump on the vertical pipe (top left of the trash) and then continue jumping/walking on buildings facade. There's no way to get back in the street after that, and camera prevents from going back.
    I know it's just a template, but there may be something worth checking collision-wise as the buildings don't show any collision boxes at these places.

I tried a couple of times and was not able to replicate the grabbing bug, sorry!

19. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

That's cool information, thanks! Working on it and hope to have a fix soon :)

20. Techsins

Techsins Member

Hey, loving this project, how would i make both players be able to use gamepads?