Asset - Project Beat'em Up Engine

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Curial Lloses, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Beat'em Up Starter Kit is now Beat'emUp Engine

Beat'em Up Engine

Create your own beat'em up games with the most complete Beat'em Up Engine in marketplace. Replace the engine assets with your own art or dive into the code to customize objects properties to get your desired gameplay feel. This asset won't make your game but is a great start for your own game projects!

FEATURES
    • 2 Players game
    • Complete set of Player actions including Grabs, Throws and Special moves
    • Hit combos: Hard combo after 5 consecutive punches
    • 2.5D Movement with Jump on Z axis
    • Collisions and depth handling
    • Customizable level platforms
    • Battle areas to control camera and screen boundaries
    • Health management
    • Basic enemy AI with up to 8 states: IDLE, RUN, WAIT, HIT, HURT, RETREAT, KO, DEAD
    • Destructible objects and weapons and items to pick
    • Continue game countdown
    • Fully commented code! Almost every line is commented.
    • Debug mode. Show collisions boxes and state names
    • For Game Maker Studio 2.0. GMS 1.4 version refers to Beat'em Up Starter Kit (with less features and simpler code)
    You can buy it already from marketplace!

Hope you'll find it useful and please, don't hesitate to ask or suggest anything about.

TODO list (mostly in priority order)
    • Create new enemy behaviours: 1) Enemy with weapon 2) Charging enemy
    • Add level scripted situations: Enemies appearing from the background. Like from a garage door
    • Allow hit collisions on platforms
    • Keep cleaning code and fixing old features unexpected issues

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    mamacato, IndianaBones, Amon and 4 others like this.
  2. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

I've recently received several emails with questions and suggestions and decided to move any discussion here at forums in order to free my work email from the asset stuff :p Here are some of them (I won't post any author nick without their permission):
    • I noticed that I can't jump over Collisions. How do I make it where, for example, the player can jump on to a curb or a crate? Like in River City Ransom NES for example.
      This is not possible yet! At this moment, there's no collisionable objects like crates or platforms so there's not Z detection with this type of objects. It is something that I have in my to do list after adding a Beat'em Up camera. Although not all BeU games use this kind of collisions so I will see how organize that in the asset.
    • You will make a version for 1.4?
      I would like to! But it is heavy to keep 2 versions updated so as soon as I have time I'll publish a GM 1.4 version, though with warning that this version may no be updated with new features! I'll only keep working with the GMS 2 version.
    • How do I create a "friendly fire" where each players could hurt each other?
      This is a bit trickier than I though at first but sure, it's a good idea and I'll add it to the next update. Meanwhile you can try creating a collision event in oParPlayer with oHitCollision and copy/paste the code inside the oEnemyHitCollision collision event and tweak from there. But won't give you exactly the effect you look from the beginning, need some fixes!

PauloAFC and Siolfor the Jackal like this.
  3. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Sorry for late updating, I've broken my foot and it's difficult to find a spot to place my leg while I'm at the desk!

So far I've added "Friendly fire" and currently working on the BeU sidescrolling camera. In this games, camera is related to kind of "battle areas" (BA) so camera follows player/s except when they are inside a BA. In this case camera (and player/s) can't go beyond BA boundaries until you've killed all enemies of that area. Also, usually after entering a BA, player/s can't go back. All this would look something like this:

[​IMG]

I'll work in verticall scrolling too for aesthetic purposes so you can see some more city (or whatever) background. But this won't affect gameplay. Once done with this (cleaned well commented!) i'll upload an update and start working on GM 1.4 port. I think that new features will come after this.

Hope you like it!

PauloAFC and Siolfor the Jackal like this.
  4. PauloAFC

PauloAFC Member

This looks amazing, and exactly what I was looking for, sadly I only have GMS 1.4 but if this engine keeps getting worked on, it will for sure make me buy GMS 2 !! Thank you for all your hard work !

Curial Lloses likes this.
  5. Amon

Amon Member

I'm buying this tonight. Very impressive. This is how it should be done. :)

PauloAFC and Curial Lloses like this.
  6. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Hi again,

I've recently received feedback and fixed the following bugs:
    Thanks a lot to Anton P for notify them and all fixes will be applied with next update which I hope can arrive by next week!

PauloAFC likes this.
  7. Taddio

Taddio Member

Picked it up and will try it this week-end.
    Looks solid and will save me a couple days of coding for sure! I'll keep you updated if I find some bugs/weird stuff.
    Thanks for sharing your work!

8. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Hello again,

fortunately I could finish before next monday so here is the new Beat'em Up Starter Kit update!

Apart from a list of bug fixes, these are the new features:
    • Added Friendly fire. Now you can choose (pressing "F") if players can hit each other.
    • Added Camera scrolling as it works in most Beu games.
    • Added Battle Areas. Camera will only scroll inside these areas when active until all their enemies are defeated.
    • Added an elite enemy instance. (As a very basic example of instance modification with Creation code and instance color)
    • Deleted retreatCounter var. Now retreatChance manages chances to RETREAT
    Yet the asset structure remains the same, some objects has changed so I would recommend to download again the whole project.

I hope you like it!

Amon likes this.
  9. Taddio

Taddio Member

Hahahaaha, damn it!
    If I knew that, I wouldn't have spent the afternoon working on battle areas and bosses! I guess I'll get working on pickups and throwable weapons, then, lol.
    Are you planning to implement other new features soon? I'm loving the asset so far, easy to expand on, super clean code and comments. Kudos to you.

EDIT: I also have a suggestion for your next update, and that would be to implement deactivation of instances out of the view, as this may become problematic on big levels, and more inexperienced users might not know about this feature. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  10. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Hi Taddio,

Next update will be GM 1.4 port only and it may take a week at least (must re indent every f*king line of code apart from checking that everything works as expected :(). For the next one I planned to include breakable boxes and pickups (throwable weapons, not yet since need new, state and kind of new gameplay. But it's in the roadmap too). Can't promise timings but sure that the asset will keep receiving updates.

About deactivating instances out of screen is something I wondered but observing that some BeU games let enemies run out of the screen and enter back again I decided to let them be. But now that you say so, I think I'll deactivate all instances except those which Battle area is active.

Thanks for buying and for your suggestions!

PauloAFC likes this.
  11. werton

werton Member

Hi there!
    Curial Lloses, good work, thanks for quickly fixing bugs. Here are some more my comments and wishes.
    -If you move continuously in the environment of opponents, the player does not react in any way to the blows they inflict (the player does not stop/stun, the hurt animation is not played, just decreasing health and the particle effect blinks).
    - the player moves diagonally faster than horizontally and vertically (probably due to the summation of speeds in these directions).
    -in my opinion, the fact that all movements use the same size of hitbox is not quite properly. Perhaps this is done to simplify, but I think this is important for the beatem'up genre and it was worth to make a changing size of hitbox/hurtbox.
    - the grab and throw moves is needed (what a beatem'up game without them?).
    - I also think it is worth adding a customizeble effect of the stun of enemies / player after the got a hit (like in the streets of rage/final fight series).

Jeez! :( It's must be hurt. Wish you to get well soon! :)

12. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Hello @werton and thx for your comments!

- I'll take a look on these bugs, thanks!
    - Indeed I'll work with different hitboxes as soon as I can start with new moves and combos (I'm eager to work on more gameplay :p). For now I'm focused in having a stable starter kit and a GM 1.4 version. One thing I want also to work in it is the chance to hit enemies while they're in the air, making combo chains. And I'll change the HARDHIT hitbox at some point to be more relative to the hit move.
    - Grabs and throws may take some time to be implemented since I'll have to work in new animations for them but sure they will be in a future! Picking and Throwing weapons probably will come first.
    - I don't get what you mean here. You mean different Hit particles FX or different enemy animations? When you mean stun, you refer to the KO state after receiving an AIR KICK or a HITHARD?

I hope only 10 more days and I can take out this orthopedic boot and try walk for a bit :(

13. werton

werton Member

I did not quite put it right, actualy I mean "hitstop" (also known as hitlag, hitfreeze, hitpause).
    Quote from blog of Chris Wagar gamedesigner (hopefully I don’t violate his copyright):
    "Hitlag, also called hitstop, hitfreeze, and hitpause, is basically when the game freezes the characters at the point of collision during an attack. Having the smooth arc of the character’s attack paused at that point of collision helps sell that the collision actually happened, gives the eyes a few frames to register and confirm it happened, and makes the impact seem a little more powerful, since if the guy’s fist or sword or whatever is stopped along its path, then clearly it needs a lot of force to go through the object that is being hit."
    For example, in the Street Fighter 1(yes, this is a fighting game and not a beat'em up, but in these genres many technicians are similar) there is almost no hitstops, as a result the fights look quite vague, you do not feel the force of hits, at the same time you can see how clear and well-developed hitstops are in Street Fighter 2. Аlso in Streets of Rage 2 hitstop delay is much longer then Streets of Rage 3 for example.
    About "hitstun", its lack also has a place to be, this is the reason for the first bug I described in the previous post.
    Another quote from internet:
    "Hit stun, in fighting games, is the period of time in which a character is unable to do anything beside direction influence and teching after being hit by an attack. The amount of time it takes to recover from being stunned depends on the attack.
    Hit stun is essential in combos because you need to be able to consecutively hit your opponent without them being able to escape or interrupt you."

14. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Ummm, I see. Actually there's the sleep() script which pause the whole game for a given milliseconds but I must admit I haven't thought about characters freeze and it seems obvious. I'll work on this!

15. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Still working on GM 1.4 version. Meanwhile, added Continue countdown :p
    [​IMG]

PauloAFC and Amon like this.
  16. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

PauloAFC likes this.
  17. Dave Mota

Dave Mota Member

I Like buy your Beat'em Up Starter Kit 1.4 but jojos said this to me:

You need a paid GameMaker Studio 2 licence in order to have access to this asset.

You can help me!!!

18. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

You needed it until yesterday, I've just uploaded the GM 1.4 version so everyone with GMS 1.4 should be able to download it. Do you mean that marketplace don't let you buy it even having a GM 1.4 license? In that case we should ask Yoyogames.

PauloAFC likes this.
  19. Dave Mota

Dave Mota Member

Strange, I had to use another account.
    in 1.499 i have this error
    of Other Event: User Defined 0
    for object oEnemy1:

Variable oEnemy1.EnemyLayerSize(100082, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
    at gml_Object_oEnemy1_UserEvent0_1 (line 25) - else if (nearestOpponent != -1) and (abs(y - nearestOpponent.y) <= EnemyLayerSize) and (abs(x - nearestOpponent.x) <= minChaseDistance)
    ############################################################################################
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    stack frame is
    gml_Object_oEnemy1_UserEvent0_1 (line 25)
    called from - gml_Object_oEnemy1_StepNormalEvent_1 (line 2) - event_user(0);// Choose state

20. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Oh I see, it seems that GMS 1.4 doesn't export macros into the asset packages :( I'll fix that this afternoon but if you don't want to wait you can do this:

- Go to Macros folder and double click into "All configurations"
    - Click to "Add" button and write "PlayerLayerSize" to name and 15 to value.
    - Click "Add" again and write "EnemyLayerSize" to name and 5 to value.

That should work but please tell me if don't!

Sorry about your issues,

Curial

P.S.: Uploaded a new GMS 1.4 version with fix. Please tell me if it runs properly.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    PauloAFC likes this.
  21. KyleRansford

KyleRansford Member

I don't know if this is a glitch/bug (or I'm not supposed to do it) but, when I increase the maxChaseDistance (I did 1000), enemies from a BattleArea further on in the room came to the first BattleArea.
    Code:
    // Chase vars (Check User Event 0 and then User Event 3)
    minChaseDistance = sprite_width - 5;
    maxChaseDistance = 500;
    If I'm just doing it wrong, what I wanted to do was to make it where when the player enters a BattleArea enemies act faster at starting towards the player to attack. How could I do that without enemies from other BattleAreas coming to soon?

Also, not to seem impatient, but is the jumping over and on top of collisions still in the works?

Thanks anyway for a good starter kit!

22. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

It's because camera scrolling. There's an issue here with which I'm not still satisfied here but until I find a better fix, you can try this:

- Open oBattleArea object and go to STEP event
    - There at line 17, replace
    Code:
    if (camera_get_view_x(cam) > x) or (oCamera.x >= x  + sprite_width/3)
    for
    Code:
    if (camera_get_view_x(cam) > x) or (oCamera.x >= x)
    I hope that should work for you. maxChaseDistance = 500 is quite enough distance. More than 720 is useless because the camera view is not that big!

And yes, I'm working on refining crate collisions which includes jumping on top right now :) Can't promise an ETA since object collisions affects to character depths, collisions on Z and tweaking enemies AI and need some more free time to work on this :/

PauloAFC likes this.
  23. KyleRansford

KyleRansford Member

Thanks, but I think I was just doing it way to far lol. Since I actually measure what 500 pixels is. Maybe just me, it seems like the enemies take a little to long to act or attack when in the BattleArea. Is there a separate way to increase the enemies response time then?

And thanks again, no rush on the collision jumping. I know this must be a lot to do.

24. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Right now, enemies have a very basic AI and their responses are quite dumb but you can try to:

1) decrease the chanceToWait var from 5 to 1 (or 0)
    2) increase also chanceToHit. This make enemies have more chance to Hit you when they are under the minChaseDistance.

I'm thinking I'll have to separate the Starter Kit from a BeUp engine, since the asset is going to be bigger with time :p

PauloAFC likes this.
  25. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

This is how platforms looks right now ^^
    [​IMG]
    They are only crate boxes where to jump on I still have to work on a system to create editable platforms with collision boxes according the platform sprite width/height. And lot of bugs came on the way!

mamacato, PauloAFC and Taddio like this.
  26. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Dedicated to @KyleRansford !

[​IMG]

Must fix Player's shadow glitches and I think I can go with Enemies fleeing in near an obstacle (won't make them jump from nor over a platform yet).

PauloAFC and Amon like this.
  27. Taddio

Taddio Member

Holyyy cow!
    Must...download...now....
    Are there deep changes in the player's state? I fear it may break the blocking and grabbing mechanics Ive been working on...do you think it will be cool?

28. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Don't worry there's no update uploaded yet :p But Since Player's code is changing it could probably break your mechanics, yes :/

29. Taddio

Taddio Member

Bah, no worries, it will be way easier tto reimplement those the sexond time around if it breaks, I'm starting to get the feel of the code:p. I could reuse my block_box and some stuff anyway.

30. KyleRansford

KyleRansford Member

Ah shucks, lol. This looks cool!

PauloAFC likes this.
  31. SnortySnoopy

SnortySnoopy Member

I haven't had the chance to dig into the file since acquiring it. So just wondering, if you've added "boss battle" like that in Street of Rage. If you haven't, maybe could you consider adding such ability when possible. :)

32. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Not yet. It is something that I have in TODO list anyway!

PauloAFC likes this.
  33. SnortySnoopy

SnortySnoopy Member

I see, if that's the case I look forward to seeing it in the near future. Also maybe in future "ability to pick up object and use it as weapon". Thanks. :p

34. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Sorry for this time with no info, I've been busy but making some progress with the asset...
    [​IMG]

I hope to have it ready soon with a bunch of new features so I take the time to inform about product changes:

Since the asset has grown heavily I will separate it into two products. First one, Beat'em Up Starter Kit will be a new asset in marketplace with the basic features but bug fixes and minor gameplay improvements. This asset is focused for those who want to be introduced into de very basics of a BeU but don't want to dig into too much code.

The second one will be Beat'em Up Engine, which is the actual product but which name will change. Beat'em Up Engine will be only for GM2 and will receive regular updates (as much as I have spare time) with new features and the users suggestions into my TODO list. Take into account that this asset will increase its price when I upload the new Beat'em Up Starter Kit but those who already bought the actual product will have the BeU engine with all new features. They don't need to buy a new asset. In short: Beat'em Up Starter Kit, new asset with basics. Beat'em Up Engine, actual asset with new name, new features and more expensive.

I expect to give you more info by next week!

PauloAFC, SnortySnoopy and Amon like this.
  35. ApselTheBlue

ApselTheBlue Member

Hey, I'm SUPER interested in purchasing this, but I'm using a shared copy of GMS2 with a colleague of mine, and can't purchase things from the marketplace. Could you upload this to itch.io if it's not too much trouble?

36. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Sharing licences is against the EULA and could get the licence revoked / blacklisted.

I'd suggest you purchase your own.
    Creators is only $39 for a 12mth licence, stop being a scrooge.

37. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

I feel I should point you to the relevant part of the ToS, as what @rIKmAN says is quite true:

"3.3. Other Uses of Publisher Property. IF you hold the appropriate level of GameMaker licence, you may export your content to third party platforms such as iOS and Ubuntu as permitted by us (further details can be found at https://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker). In no circumstances are you permitted to, at the request of a third party, export that third party’s content. Nor can you request a third party who holds an appropriate level of GameMaker license to carry out such activities on your behalf."

https://www.yoyogames.com/legal/eula

The original licence holder of the GMS version being shared could be held liable under this provision of the ToS, and I'd recommend that all members of any team working on a game have their own licence to prevent possible issues.

38. ApselTheBlue

ApselTheBlue Member

@Nocturne
    Whoa. I was under the implication that partners could use the same license. I should point out that this partner purchased a license, then gave it to me, as he moved on to another game creation program. Is this the same thing? Either way, my apologies.

Edit:

after reviewing the ToS, yes that is indeed the same thing. I'll just uninstall the software and return to Unity. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Gunner likes this.
  39. zmads

zmads Member

I love this asset.
    Hi, are you still planning to add the vertical camera?
    And what about slopes to walk to the top of the platforms?

40. Misty

Misty Member

I'm interested in purchasing this...as a game. Honestly why don't you just make a game out of this and sell it on steam. I'm not a big fan of minimalist art styles but honestly this is minimalism done right and it looks good in my opinion.

Amon likes this.
  41. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Vertical Camera is already done waiting for the new update to be uploaded (cleaning code for as much users to understand is being the hardest job) ;)

Slopes, unfortunately won't be in TODO list for now. Beat'em Up collisions and depths management are complex and I think that this could potentially break the typical BeU gameplay.

Thx for your interest! For now, helping people to make their own BeUps is quite enough work for me but let's see in a future! ^^

42. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

To the actual owners of Beat'Em Up Starter Kit, I've just published a big update with the following:

NEW FEATURES

- Added a Continue feature. Countdown and Insert coin.
    - Deactivate/activate enemy instances to help game performance
    - Added level platforms with 2 diferent heights
    - Added destructible objects
    - Now enemies can crash against obstacles when affected by a knockback
    - Now enemies can flee obstacles
    - Now player shadow is an independent object and adapt its position depending on platforms (experimental)
    - Added Hitstun and Hitlag gameplays
    - Added HitLag values depending on type of hit
    - Added landing particles for Players
    - Added Hand weapon gameplay and animations
    - Added "throwable" weapon gameplay and animations

CHANGES

- ****CollisionMask renamed to ****Box (lol, there's some language filter at forum that blocks s HitBox and s HitCollisionMask, cause it thinks poop words)
    - sCollisionChar renamed to sHurtBox
    - oHitCollision renamed to oPlayerHitBox
    - oEnemyHitCollision renamed to oEnemyHitBox
    - No more collision boxes needed to set scenario boundaries
    - No more use of sleep() script after a hit. Removed by hitstun()

Marketplace sheet info is still not updated but anyone who download the update will have this changes. I strongly recommend to download it in a new project since lot of code and asset structure has changed. This update is only for GMS2 version.

I'll dedicate next week to polish any bugs that might appear (although everything is heavily reviewed), update marketplace page and upload the alternative Beat'em Up Starter Kit with only basics but the actual fixes. I'm aware that at some point I'll have to work also in some kind of documentation event if its basic and short. Finally, from now on, only Beat'em Up Engine will receive updates with new features from the TODO list (more enemy behaviours, more combos and more to come)

I hope you like it!

43. KyleRansford

KyleRansford Member

Just tried out the new update and I must say, it's just what I was hoping it would be!
    But as I was playing the demo game I got an error just as I had defeated an enemy next to a destroyable barrel.
    This is what the error said:
    Code:
    ERROR!!! :: ############################################################################################
    ERROR in
    action number 1
    of Destroy Event
    for object oParDestroyable:

Creating instance for non-existing object: -1
     at gml_Object_oParDestroyable_Destroy_0 (line 17) -             instance_create_depth(x + sprite_width/2, y + sprite_height, depth, objItem);
    ############################################################################################
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    stack frame is
    gml_Object_oParDestroyable_Destroy_0 (line 17)
    called from - gml_Object_oBarrel_Destroy_0 (line 3) - event_inherited();                // This object can create an item on destroy. Look at oParDestroyable
    called from - gml_Object_oBarrel_Step_0 (line 9) -     instance_destroy();                // ...and the object itself
    Other than the error, this engine is way worth what I payed for it. Keep up the good work!

44. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Ummm, I'm not being able to reproduce the situation so please check the following:
    • Do you have "Items" folder inside your "Objects" folder? In that case, do you have these 3 items? oItemHeart, oItemBar, oItemKnife. If not, your import didn't worked out. If you have them, can you check in the room editor, double click to all barrels, Creation code that all them have the following line
      Code:
      item = "Bar";
      (can vary with "Knife" or "Heart")
    Anyway, I've reupdated with a fix. The enemies had only 1 life point :p

PauloAFC likes this.
  45. KyleRansford

KyleRansford Member

Just tried the demo again after the update and after playing it a few times I didn't get anymore errors.

I checked all the barrels for the items and they were all there. Also, I didn't change anything in the game when the error showed. But, it seems to be working all right now. Perhaps it was just a glitch at just the right time.

46. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Woo, that's what freaks me out :confused: It will be harder to get with the error. Anyway thanks a lot for telling me @KyleRansford and I'll keep testing to find when can this happen.

47. zmads

zmads Member

Some of the old Kunio Kun games had slopes, that's why I asked ):
    I think they gave the developer more tools to make a great level design
    In the end, I understand, maybe it's a lot to ask

PauloAFC likes this.
  48. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Ummm, it's interesting so I'll study how to do this but can't make promises! :p

PauloAFC likes this.
  49. Techsins

Techsins Member

Hey i bought this yesterday, how would i go about making player 1 use a gamepad and not just keyboard?

50. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Hello a really quick way would be to switch input controls between players. Open checkInput() and punt real(playerId) = 2 to the first input group and real(playerId) = 1 to the second one. This should work for you ;)

Thank you for buying the asset!

PauloAFC likes this.