Steam Beard & Axe (Action Adventure Rogue Lite)

Dwarfaparte

https://store.steampowered.com/app/761570/Beard__Axe/

Beard & Axe is an action adventure rogue-lite. I've been beavering away on this game for 2+ years now, been tinkering with indie dev for more years than that, and finally I've released! I'm 100% positive I would not have finished this as a solo dev were it not for Gamemaker. I messed with the other big engines, and I honestly don't see how any solo devs manage it (especially if with a full time job and doing this as a semi-hobby).

The game is inspired by a lot of the current rogue-likes and classic 2d games. The main mechanism aside from the normal bits you would expect is that every quest requires the player to declare how much of the resources in the quest area that they will return with. Bringing back less (even by 1) results in all inventory being halved. Bringing back more results in the excess amounts being lost. Dying of course means everything the player was carrying (there is a home base inventory that isn't affected) is gone. Also there's a beer health meter. You can't do dwarfs without charting their drunkenness as health.

Thanks to everybody on this forum, I know I'm a dirty lurker but I couldn't have got past some of the challenges (especially early on) of wrapping my head around the way programmers solve problems. Almost everything I ran into was already solved here (sometimes in many various ways which was also instructive!). Excited to look at Gamemaker Studio 2 for my next project!

- Dwarfaparte

O

OrangeBit

Congratulations, looks really good. I will hopefully buy it in the future. About how long is the game?

Dwarfaparte

Congratulations, looks really good. I will hopefully buy it in the future. About how long is the game?
In some ways it's like megaman in that all areas are open but there are definitely some areas you need to tackle later rather than sooner, when you have better gear. If you knew where to go and what to do there, I'd say the game shouldn't take more than an hour or two. But exploring and discovering the way should add some significant amounts of playtime.

U

unpaid-thief

hi your game is nice and i have a qeustion ...for game release on steam must use steam target? or can use windows exe target? thanks

Dwarfaparte

Very few people bought the game so what are you going to do? :D

I was learning how to code with this game so I was not too disappointed from sales.

• Wow
Reactions: Mut