Released BBMOD - the most powerful 3D rendering solution for GameMaker

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Nice Job, waiting for full support of the blender's materials export.
View attachment 52918
I don't see you ever getting full Blender material support. You can't get that in any 3d engine so far because of all the stuff that Blender materials can do. You might be able to get basic 1 to 1 textures assuming the material was made that way but as soon as you start using procedural textures and the other nodes it ain't happening.

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
BBMOD GUI 3.16.4.0 EA is out!
This release mainly brings Demo mode, which allows you to try out BBMOD GUI before you unlock it via Patreon. This mode gives you access to all its features except for export of created data. Additionally it is now also possible to load already existing BBMOD and BBANIM files.

For the full release notes, please see https://blueburn.cz/bbmod/gui/docs/3/ReleaseNotes3.16.4.0EA.html.

GUI.jpg

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
BBMOD 3.17.0 released!

The main new feature of this release are reflection probes, which are used to capture surrounding scene at a specific position into a texture, which is then used for reflections. You can have as many reflection probes as you like, but currently only one reflection probe is used when the camera enters its area of influence. There is a smooth transition when changing from one reflection probe to other. BBMOD now also has material property blocks, which are useful in case you want to render multiple models using the same material and only change a few properties for each model. Using material property blocks should lead into better performance than creating a clone of a material for each model. Other noteworthy updates included are fixed Gizmo module, new commands for rendering sprites through render queues and new *Self/*Other variations of methods of vectors, quaternions and matrices, which instead of creating new structs store the result into self or a struct passed in as an argument, which makes them more garbage collector-friendly.

For the full changelog, please see https://blueburn.cz/bbmod/docs/3/Changelog3.17.0.html.

without.jpg
with.jpg

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
Long time no see
Hey all, how's it going? I've never really been super active on the forums but you may have noticed that nowadays I make even less posts than usual, plus when it comes to BBMOD, it's mostly been only posts to let you know that there's a new update and what the changelog is and I almost never really share with you the development process, my thoughts on it or my experience with it. So today I thought I could do something a little different and share with you some info like where is the library now in terms of development, some of my thoughts, some fun little statistics etc.

Where is BBMOD now?
The first ever pushed commit into the BBMOD repo on GitHub was on Feb 15, 2020 and the library has come a long way since then. Currently there are 966 commits and 66 versions released, the latest one being 3.17.0. Initially my plans with the library were just to make a simple binary file format for 3D models and animations that could be read fast and easily from GameMaker (that's why the project is called BBMOD, as in "BlueBurn model"), but with time the library grew a lot and now it focuses more on rendering 3D graphics in GameMaker as a whole. Here is a full list of features that BBMOD has now:

• Maths - vectors, quaternions, dual quaternions, matrices
  • Structs for encapsulating vertex formats, vertices, meshes, models, bones, animations, shaders, materials and material properties
  • Animation player with support for looping animations, animation transitions, animation events, overriding of bone transforms (e.g. for making a character point their hand in the camera's direction)
  • General purpose state machine and animation state machine
  • Physically based rendering (PBR) shaders with support for both metallic-roughness and specular color-smoothness workflows
  • Support for cheap subsurface scattering and emissive materials
  • System for batching multiple dynamic moving models into a single vertex buffer to save draw calls
  • Camera - FPS, TPS, perspective, ortho, support for roll, built-in mouselook that works also on HTML5
  • Resource manager - custom ref. counting of loaded resources, support for async. loading (required on HTML5)
  • Image based lighting with support for HDR rendering (uses RGBM encoding)
  • Support for baked lightmaps with a dedicated second UV layer (also HDR with RGBM encoding)
  • Dynamic lights - point, spot, directional
  • Dynamic shadows for spot and directional lights
  • Cubemap struct and rendering into cubemaps
  • Reflection probes with area of influence - captured and pre-filtered in-game!
  • Render queues, using which you can first prepare all your commands for the GPU and execute them later (possibly multiple times and in different contexts)
  • Render passess - ReflectionCapture, Shadows, Deferred/DepthOnly, GBuffer, Forward, Alpha, Id
  • Renderer, which handles rendering of your game in multiple passes
  • Screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO) - HBAO inspired, very high quality, using only the depth-buffer
  • Mouse-picking of game objects and a gizmo moving, rotating and scaling game objects (multi-selection supported)
  • Save system of game objects for level editing
  • Terrain - heightmap based with support for 5 material layers (controlled through splatmap)
  • Post-processing effects - color grading, chromatic aberration, desaturation, vignette
  • FXAA
  • CPU soft particles - smooth transitions on intersection with other geometry, module based, support for collisions
  • OBJ importer (just for the memes really)
  • Dynamic library (dll, dylib) for importing all supported third-party model formats from within your game
  • Vertex texture fetching (VTF) on Windows through an extension (GM supports VTF on OpenGL platforms natively)
  • Utility functions, like checking whether VTF or multiple render targets (MRT) are supported on the current platform
  • Simple raycasting library - sphere, plane, AABB, frustum
  • Support for ColMesh - convert BBMOD models into ColMesh
Aside from the BBMOD GML library, there're of course BBMOD CLI, BBMOD GUI, the homepage with some tutorials and the online documentation.

RPG
Little BBMOD project that I made for testing purposes

Code vs docs
Personally I didn't have any expectations from this and I don't know if this is too little or too much for such library, but I thought it could be interesting for some to share the total lines of code in BBMOD and how much of that is the actual code and how much is comments, so I wrote a little tool in Python that counts that for me.

So, as of 3.17.0, the BBMOD GML library contains 32804 non-empty lines in total, out of which 14925 are the actual code, 337 are comments, 13647 are documentation comments from which the online HTML5 documentation is generated and 3895 lines are what I called bullπŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’© in my little Python script that measured this, which are lines that contained only a single character - so mostly "{" and "}" (I use the Allman style indentation).

gml.png

Personally I was surprised to see that the ratio between code and documentation comments is very close to 50:50, which I knew I'm writing a lot of documentation, but I didn't expect it to be this much πŸ‘€

And for shaders included in BBMOD, it is 11523 non-empty lines in total, out of which 6749 are the actual code, 1838 are comments, 1345 are docs (comments starting with "///") and 1591 is bullπŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’© again. But bear in mind that I'm actually using Xpanda to generate multiple shader variations out of a single uber-shader, so I don't have to write them by hand!

shaders.png

I've used https://piechartmaker.co to make these pie-charts.

What I've learnt
It's been a great ride and I think that BBMOD is turning out good, but there are some things that I'd do differently if I was writing it from scratch again, so I'd like to leave them here maybe as tips for others who may try to do something similar.

1) Don't use the same naming conventions as GameMaker does
I started writing the library when GML had no structs yet and I wanted to use the snake_case naming for all BBMOD functions to make them follow the GM's standard. Later on when struct were added, I decided to rewrite the entire library into OOP style and use UpperCamelCase names for structs and snake_case for their methods. This is when I've stumbled upon an issue that I can't just have methods like floor, min, max in vectors or draw_sprite in render queues, because of the obvious nameclash with the GM's built-in functions.

GML:
function BBMOD_Vec3(_x, _y, _z) constructor
{
    // This won't work:
    static floor = function ()
    {
        return new BBMOD_Vec3(floor(X), floor(Y), floor(Z));
    };
}
So for some of the structs that this issue would occur, I've instead decided to use UpperCamelCase for method names as well. So now I have a single library with two naming conventions, which just sucks. Now I'm using UpperCamelCase in every new project that I have and if I was writing BBMOD again, it would be using this naming everywhere as well.

2) Don't use structs everywhere
I mean this one should be obvious, but while working in C++ and regularly using classes for things like vectors and matrices, I didn't think that using structs for them in GML could have a big impact on performance.

When structs came to GML, I decided to make everything object oriented, because that's what students are taught in CS, so I thought it's going to be easy to learn and understand, plus it's going to be easy for me to write, document, maintain, extend etc.

For one, it turned out that not all GM users are familiar with OOP, because GML is the only language they have experience with and they are accustomed to the pre-structs version of GML, so BBMOD being written OOP style has likely reduced its potential userbase.

Secondly, structs in GML are simply not C structs or C++ classes, but more like garbage-collected ds_maps with nicer syntax. SLOW! Making potentially hundreds or maybe thousands of structs every frame just to throw them away and make new ones the next frame is something that should absolutely be avoided by miles.

But I should add that this applies to any other dynamically allocated structure, whether it's arrays or ds_ data structures. If you're writing something that's supposed to be high performance, think thoroughly which data structure fits the job the best.

3) ds_grid hacks
Going in hand with 2), when I was working on the CPU particle system for BBMOD, I've figured out that there is just no way I'm having each particle as a separate struct, that was extremely slow and handled only few hundred particles before FPS dropped below 60.

While watching some data oriented design lectures (which in short teaches to have cleverly composed data into arrays and tables and process these in a single go or in parallel), I remembered that GM's has functions like ds_grid_add_grid_region and ds_grid_multiply_grid_region, using which you can add and multiply together two different regions of ds_grids. So instead of having particles are an array of structs, I have them all in a single grid, where rows are individual particles and columns are their properties like their x,y,z position, color, size, remaining life, velocity etc. If I then want to for example move all particles by their velocity, I can do that with a single call to ds_grid_add_grid_region. You can also have a separate table for intermediate results for more complex computations. With this method BBMOD can handle close to thousand of particles instead of only few hundred.

If you're interested in the specific implementation of velocity Verlet integration using this method in BBMOD, you can have a look at the file BBMOD_ParticleEmitter.gml.

particles

Someone on the forums was looking more closely into this idea, but I can't remember who. Was it @Bart maybe?

4) Test on all target platforms since the beginning
BBMOD being written in GML and GLSL ES only, I was thinking it's going to Just Workβ„’ on all platforms that GM supports. But not having access to HTML5 and macOS for example since the entire beginning, I've only found out later on that some shaders don't compile here and there, some resources don't want to load (I'm looking at you HTML5) or that some things rendered in OpenGL are vertically flipped but they work normally on Windows etc. So if you're working on multi-platform project in GM, I recommend you to test your project on all of them since the beginning and avoid bad surprises later on.

5) Use your libraries in actual projects
I once imagined BBMOD is going to be this ultimate solution for rendering 3D graphics in GameMaker. But I can possibly never make a solution for problems that I don't know they exist. So, when working on a library like this, I recommend using it in an actual project so you can discover problems that otherwise the users would have to deal with. The more general-purpose a library like this is supposed to be, the more real projects it needs to be able to tell whether it actually works!

Where can BBMOD go next?
I still have some ideas left that could be added to BBMOD, like for example a shader for rendering water, I think that would be cool. Also, if a deferred rendering pipeline was added to BBMOD, its G-buffers could be used for more interesting effects like screen-space reflections or screen-space global illumination.

SSGI
Screen-space global illumination in GM, https://github.com/kraifpatrik/SSGI

SSR
Unfinished screen-space reflections

And since BBMOD has support for baked lightmaps and it does already have reflection probes, it would make sense to add in light probes as well. There's also the gizmo and the level saving & loading stuff, so it would make sense to add terrain editing tools as well. Maybe some more post-processing effects like light bloom, sun shafts, motion blur, depth of field etc.

These are all things that could be added in even in the current runtime, but knowing there's going to be the new one with WebGPU and a whole new world of possibilities, I'm currently not rushing into adding new things, as there might be a whole new and much more powerful BBMOD 4 anyways. We will see!

Wrapping it up
Alright, I think that's all I have for now. Hopefully at least some of you have enjoyed reading this. If you have questions about anything said, feel free to hit me up. Cheers!

Last edited:

Bart

WiseBart
Someone on the forums was looking more closely into this idea, but I can't remember who. Was it @Bart maybe?
Yeah, that will have been me πŸ˜„
I looked into this some time ago and also started a tutorial series on it that I never really continued.. Moving the calculations to ds_grids moves the for loops to engine code, making this a lot more efficient. Technically you can go as far as calculating distances "in batch" using a linear approximation of the square root and even add if-else branching by sorting the grid if needed (i.e. ds_grid-based 3D sphere collisions as a proof-of-concept)
One possible bottleneck is that you still might run into situations where you need to loop through all the items in GML. As when it comes to sending that data to the GPU, there is no way to convert the ds_grid to an array or buffer (which would be ideal from a performance/optimization perspective)

Now that I'm at it... Not sure if I've ever left a reply in this thread, though I guess now would be a good time to say that the work you've done on BBMOD is absolutely incredible! This must be the most complete 3D engine (or library or how you want to call it) for GameMaker nowadays. It's great to see that an engine like this exists nowadays for GM!
(I should get into it myself "once I'm done with my own 3D/shader/... experiments, if ever"β„’)

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
BBMOD 3.20.0 was released!
(About 2 weeks ago, but I always forget about this thread πŸ˜…)

This release brings a new deferred rendering pipeline with support for unlimited number of shadow-casting lights. All light types, including point lights, can now cast shadows. Please note that the deferred renderer has specific hardware requirements and therefore it is not supported on all platforms! When deferred rendering is not available, you can still use the old default renderer, but that is still limited to maximum 8 punctual lights and only a single shadow-casting light. Additionally, you can now configure frame skip for capturing shadowmaps or mark a light as "static" to capture its shadowmap only once to increase performance.

Full changelog is available at https://blueburn.cz/bbmod/docs/3/Changelog3.20.0.html and download for free from GitHub https://github.com/blueburncz/BBMOD/releases/tag/3.20.0 or the Marketplace https://marketplace.gamemaker.io/assets/10210/bbmod-3, like always.

Some screenshots I took during the development:
00.jpg
01.jpg

Currently I'm working on Bullet Physics integration for 3.21.0. After that I would like to finally take my time to put together a new demo project that would actually show off BBMOD's capabilities, so stay tuned! Cheers!

duran can

It seems divine. (Reminds me of Extreme3D.)
Very nice project, thank you. But there are some places I don't understand, can you help me? What is BBMOD and what is BBMOD GUI? Is GUI 15$ per month? Can I use BBMOD without GUI? ...etc ...etc o_O

sharpart

Incredible update on BBMOD, as always! It's amazing to see how much it's grown since its early days. Can't wait to see what's next, especially with the Bullet Physics integration on the horizon. Kudos to the team! πŸŒŸπŸ‘

kraifpatrik

(edited)
GameMaker Dev.
It seems divine. (Reminds me of Extreme3D.)
Very nice project, thank you. But there are some places I don't understand, can you help me? What is BBMOD and what is BBMOD GUI? Is GUI 15$ per month? Can I use BBMOD without GUI? ...etc ...etc o_O
Thank you, I'm happy to hear you like it!

BBMOD is a free and open source library that makes 3D game development in GM much easier. It originally started just as a file format for 3D animated models + a GML library to render them in GM, but it's been in development for 3 years already and it has many more features now. For example, whole two rendering pipelines (forward and deferred) with support for physically based materials, terrain rendering, post-processing effects, gizmo for level editing and save/load system to name a few. There's also Bullet physics engine coming in the next (non-patch) release.

As I said earlier, BBMOD has its own file format that's easy to load from GML, so you need to convert your assets to that format first to be able to use them. To do this, you can use BBMOD CLI (command line interface), which is a tool run from the terminal/command line. BBMOD CLI is also free and open source and included with every release of the BBMOD GML library.

For people who support the development of the project directly via Patreon, there's BBMOD GUI, which is a windowed application with extra capabilities (like material editing and pre-processing of HDR captures for reflections). The ultimate goal for BBMOD GUI is to become a full IDE for 3D games made with GM (using the BBMOD library). Currently it does cost $15 / month.