BattleSim - Top Down, Turn Based, 1v1 [Early Development]

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Isyx, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Isyx

Isyx Member

Hello.

Here's a very early look at a turn based project that I am currently working on. The game has no title yet, but I have some of the basic functionality set up and would like to show the progress so far.

The map/board is set up to randomly generate tiles. I have some basic terrain for now, just water, trees and hills. There are 5 working units for the time being: Infantry, tanks, engineers (they can set up supply depots, build anti-tank and anti-air emplacements, and also repair stations for vehicles), logistics (this unit can resupply depots with fuel and ammo, and transport infantry), and a BTR type assault vehicle. Air support in the form of spy drones for visibility, A-10's for strafing runs, and perhaps more are also in the works.

The battle will take place in consecutive turns and you will need to manage unit positions, firing solutions, ammo and fuel levels of units, and the health/condition of the units.

Reinforcements will be available at a predetermined rate. Determining which type of units you need for the battle will be up to the player and can be used for strategic advantage.

All art is filler art at this time. Right now I am mostly focused on functionality but if you have ideas for the art direction please let me know (I am by no means an artist!).

Here are a couple short videos I've made showing the progress made so far. Enjoy, and any feedback is appreciated.

OnLashoc likes this.
  2. Isyx

Isyx Member

Updated unit movement. Expanded the shooting mechanics, added the ability to switch between units while targeting. Can also choose how many rounds to fire and which type of ammo to use. Added action points and movement points.

OnLashoc likes this.
  3. Isyx

Isyx Member

A quick video showing the progress so far. Placed limits on action points and movement points. Increased game tile size. Started adding ways of getting information to the player. Added command points and command UI.

4. MEITdev

MEITdev Member

Is your main inspiration Panzer General ? Feels like it. The graphics of the terrain seems a bit rough but I think that is due to the development stage. Have you considered HEXagonal tiles instead of squared ones? This is the standard for turn based strategies.
    It is looking nicely done so far, it appears to be already in a stage that can be shared (a demo map) to get even more detailed feedback from the community :)

Keep up the great work!

5. Isyx

Isyx Member

Hi! Unfortunately I haven't played any of the Panzer General series, but now I'm curious so I'll definitely take a look. Yeah, the graphics are going to be rough for a while, most of the work is going into getting all the core mechanics in place. Hexagonal tiles are still an option, I have a few ideas for the terrain and the game tiles that will show up eventually.
    Thank you for showing an interest in the project! I plan on having a playable map up within the next couple weeks if all goes well.

MEITdev likes this.