• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Banished - LD48 Inspired Roguelike

tuegg

v0.3.0 (latest) - Download at Gamejolt

Preamble
A couple weeks ago Ludum Dare took place with the theme "Deeper and Deeper". I'd never entered the competition
before and decided this time with an idea already in mind it would be my chance to make something I'm proud of. Sadly
I had a busy weekend and didn't finish in time but since then I've kept working at it and now have something I'm excited to share.

The Concept
Inspired by the mines of Stardew Valley and many roguelikes, you begin with a basic weapon venturing deeper and deeper through
the levels facing tougher enemies and earning upgrades along the way. Beyond that, the idea behind it the story is you're a fallen
angel who's been banished and stripped of your powers. You must travel to the depths of hell to reclaim your belongings and
reinstate your status as an angel (this is a wip).

Screenshots and Videos

Controls
WASD - Movement
E - Interact
LMB & RMB - Fire

Other Resources
Trello board - Feel free to keep up with development here

There is still a long way to go, especially in terms of sound, story development and even adding a menu,
but the core mechanics are there and I'm keen to get some feedback. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the game.​

Last edited:

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your game.

score.png
This is as far as i got. I dont know if it even possible to beat this level :D
It was pretty fun. I assume you are going to add more enemies in future.

Maybe screen could be bit bigger. I had hard time reacting to enemies coming from behind when field of view was so small.
Especially in later levels when enemies were much faster.

tuegg

Hey, i tried your game.

View attachment 39910
This is as far as i got. I dont know if it even possible to beat this level :D
It was pretty fun. I assume you are going to add more enemies in future.

Maybe screen could be bit bigger. I had hard time reacting to enemies coming from behind when field of view was so small.
Especially in later levels when enemies were much faster.
Dude amazing job - that's no easy feat.

Definitely - I've actually already added a bat type enemy for the next version as well as more options at the shop and a rework of the reward line from chests. Should make getting to those later levels more interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to play my game.

Jam373

Feel like im missing something, cant find a way to leave the first room? Ok I finally figured it out lol, I'm dumb and it shouldn't have taken that long but also it may not be the most immediately intuative thing to need to destroy all walls to find the exit. Also found a couple bugs, one where sometimes enemies/pots become invincible (maybe just a hitbox issue with arrows?), and also I feel like I got snagged on a corner once but can't replicate it. I escaped it instantly though so even if it did happen its not a softlock I think what happened is the player's hitbox is maybe too tall for vertical collisions with walls? Not a bug just a perspective issue imo, you can go right up against a wall horizontally, but vertically you leave a player-wide gap. Especially noticable when you try to round a corner from a vertical vector to a horizontal vector. Take 3! It IS a bug, though what I said before is still true. If you push into the bottom edge of a walls hitbox horizontally (so by pressing "A" or "D") you are stopped from moving up or down. And when I say the bottom edge of the wall, it's the part that actually isn't part of the wall, that player-wide gap I mentioned before (where a player-wide unit refers to the size of the shadow you cast on the ground at your feet, I think that should be the size of the player collision box for walls).

The pots' final level of destruction has the same sprite as at full hp. Lastly some issues when two things are right next to each other, like with a secret exit and a normal exit its hard to pick the right one (tried to go down the secret but it sent me down the normal one) and with the tome of life if two corpses are next to each other it turns both into ghosts with one charge.

The game itself is very good, all the base mechanics are strong so far and the visuals are great! Would love a fullscreen option as I kept clicking off the window. Maybe a dodge roll if you ever put in some projectile enemies? And I know this is too early days to talk seriously about balance but the game is a little easy for my taste, I personally prefer shorter harder runs in my roguelikes, this felt like I could go on forever (I stood still too long writing this post and died to wandering enemies on level 22). But a very strong start, the level generation is impressive!

Last edited:

tuegg

@Jam373, appreciate the time you took to feedback on that bug! I'll look into it for the next version. I've already addressed a couple of the other issues you raised but definitely agree about the difficulty.

I've just finished work on v0.3.0 which features some content updates and a bunch of bug fixes. The latest update, v0.3.0 can be downloaded here.

Changelog:

General Changes
- Reworked reward order from chests, Halo comes much later on now, overall increasing difficulty level
- Walls no longer drops hearts or coins
- Holes now progress the player 2-3 levels instead of 3-5, still always stopping at a multiple of 5 to not skip a treasure or shop
- Improved bullet hit detection

HUD Changes
- More error and use messages

Enemies
- Now have a chance to drop a heart if the player doesn't have full HP
- Chance to spawn "fast" and "heavy" variations with different health, movespeed and damage amounts
- Added a Bat enemy that can fly over walls
- Zombie movespeed capped at later levels
- Now won't detect you if they aren't facing you unless you go up close behind them

Items
- Added two special arrow types that can be found in pots or at the shop
- Pots now have a chance to drop potions and special arrows
- Pots sprite now properly reflects its HP
- Tome of Life primary fire cooldown from 7s to 10s
- Potions no longer have unlimited uses on the shop floor
- Fixed the stun animation with the book of law

and a bunch of other minor changes.