• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Baking/Cooking/Cafe/Recipe game help

M

martianing

Hi! I've had this idea for a type of cooking game that takes place in a cafe and allows you to collect recipes in a recipe book that you can use in real life. However, I'm having trouble finding any helpful tutorials or posts about the topic. Most of the tutorials are for platformers and RPG's (which I definitely want to try later, but I thought I'd start with this)
Any tips or pointers of where I can find some useful info? Thanks!

T

Taddio

You won't find a specific step-by-step tutorial for that for sure. You will need to figure out a way to adapt it to the game you want to make. RPG , top-down ganes and platformers are often used in tutorials because they cover a lot of grounds in different ways. Generally, platformer and top-down are more objects and collision oriented, wheras RPG are good examples of heavily data-based games (ds_stuff, arrays, etc.)
For your game, if it's like I imagine, you will need a bit of both (maybe something like a top-down part when working in the kitchen) with some kind of quest system for the recipies (unlockables when some conditions are met).
So, definately, these tutorials and resources can help you, but you'll have to transpose them to your situation.
Best of luck

M

martianing

Yeah I figured there wouldn't be anything specific to this. I guess I meant more just any good threads on smaller things that could be implemented into this type of game. For example, at the moment I'm having trouble finding something for a sort of collection screen. I guess it would be similar to an inventory screen but with pages rather than items. That, or I could make icons of paper in an inventory screen and just have a pop up with the recipe on it.
Thanks for the input, though!

T

Taddio

To me, it sounds EXACTLY like an inventory (the book) with an object in it (the recipies).
You probably would need an object book (obj_book) and an object recipie (obj_recipie), a ds_grid or a 2D array to store all the recipies data (ingredients required, condition to unlock, recipie string, etc) and a for loop to draw it all. Click or press a key creates the book and you could then click on a recipie to enlarge it, or something like that.

If ot was me, Id start with making a clean array with all the data, and then think about how/when accessing it. Basically something like that
Code:
recipie[0,0] = "French Toasts";  //Recipie name
recipie[0,1] = 0;   //recipie available
recipie[0,2] = 100;  //experience required to unlock
recipie[0,3] = spr_french_toasts;  //Icon sprite
recipie[0,4] = "Mix an egg with milk. Soak your bread in the mix and cook until breal is golden";.  //Recipie directions

recipie[1,0] = "Spaghetti";  //Recipie name
recipie[1,1] = 1;   //recipie available
recipie[1,2] = 0;  //experience required to unlock
recipie[1,3] = spr_spaghetti;  //Icon sprite
recipie[1,4] = "Cook noodles in boiling water for 8-9 minites. Serve with sauce of choice";    //recipie directions
But with all the relevant variables for your game

Last edited by a moderator:
M

martianing

Got it, sounds like it'll do the trick.
Thanks a bunch!