GameMaker Backing up all code?

Evening!

I'm one of those weird people who like to have all my code backed up in separate files.
Is there a way of doing that in GMS2?

(Copy/pasting eeeevery single piece of code in every object and event is.... no fun.)

samspade

What's wrong with just exporting the project and uploading the file somewhere?
I also do this sometimes, but the nice part about git/github is you have access to the actual code without being in Game Maker. You can look your project over on your phone if you want.

What's wrong with just exporting the project and uploading the file somewhere?
Absolutely nothing wrong with that of course. I just want to be able to read the code. I haven't come very far yet (in terms of learning how to code) and I want to be able to reread, analyze the code on the fly. To be able to try to make it better.

I also do this sometimes, but the nice part about git/github is you have access to the actual code without being in Game Maker. You can look your project over on your phone if you want.
That is precisely what I want. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Look up version control. Git (or bitbucket through git) is the normal way to do it. Unfortunately, version control kind of sucks in GMS and GMS 2 and can be difficult to get to work.

I followed that example and it’s been working like a dream.
I have another question now though... how do one go about downloading everything in its entirety?
My computer just caught fire and although that’s a really bad thing I managed to push every last change onto bitbucket. But... how do I get the project onto a new computer?

Slyddar

If you're using source control, you've been pushing the content to an online server. Now you need to set up your source control again on the new PC, but this time you need to pull the content. I use sourcetree as a gui front end for bitbucket, which makes it all pretty easy to use.

Ido-f

I'm not sure you can actually use the pull function in a new computer straight away.
I think you need to use the "clone repository" function first (also doable from GMS2 source control menu).
It will download the project from git and connect with it so you can start pushing and pulling again.

edit: that's only doable after you've added the project's path and password in the new computer's GMS' preferences->plugins->source control.
The project path can be somewhat tricky to find, mine at bitbucket are structured like this: https://[email protected]/user_name/project_name.git

Last edited: