Background visible through solid sprites

Hi all, This may be an obvious one for any of you pro's out there but for some reason my level looks transparent and the background can be seen through it. Even stranger is this only happens sometimes.
I have have about 10 layers for game objects and game functions and then 7 background layers, 6 of which have parallax scrolling.
Thanks in advance for any help

Red

Look for all places where draw_set_alpha is being called with a value other than 1. Make sure all of them come with a corresponding draw_set_alpha(1);.
YES! Thankyou, just after I read this I immediately figured out how to trigger the bug.
The issue is my pause menu. When paused I draw a rectangle to darken the screen and it is set to draw_set_alpha(0.9).
Is there a better method to doing this? Should I import a sprite with transparency instead? I will very likely have pause graphics soon anyway.
Thanks so much for your help btw, I guess I got to get things wrong from time to time to learn.

rIKmAN

Should I import a sprite with transparency instead?
If you want to use a sprite you can just use a 1px sprite with the correct transparency and draw it using draw_sprite_stretched() so that it covers the whole screen. No need to have a large screen-sized sprite that will waste space on your texture page and increase swaps.

If you want to use a sprite you can just use a 1px sprite with the correct transparency and draw it using draw_sprite_stretched() so that it covers the whole screen. No need to have a large screen-sized sprite that will waste space on your texture page and increase swaps.
Thanks rIKmAN I completely get you, I plan on updating my menus with different sizes and graphic overlayed on the dark sections so this will com in very handy. thanks.