GMS 2 background depth

zendraw

how do you set a background`s depth? i have a room 16k in height and i set a solid objects depth to room height and it disapears and i suspect it goes behind the background layer.

vdweller

Game Maker 2's Z-buffer spazzes out at around +-16K, either force the legacy system or put limits in your min/max depth

ophelius

Game Maker 2's Z-buffer spazzes out at around +-16K, either force the legacy system or put limits in your min/max depth
Is it exactly +- 16000, or 16384 since internally GM is probably using a signed 16-bit variable for those limits.
So if his level is 16000 high, there might be room enough for 384 depths behind it

O.Stogden

Is it exactly +- 16000, or 16384 since internally GM is probably using a signed 16-bit variable for those limits.
So if his level is 16000 high, there might be room enough for 384 depths behind it
The manual says don't exceed -16000 or +16000, so I would guess it's exactly.

vdweller

IMPORTANT! There is a minimum and maximum layer depth of -16000 to 16000. Anything placed on a layer outside that range will not be drawn although all events will still run as normal.

zendraw

lol so theyr not behind the background but simply not drawn becouse of limitations.well this pretty much throws big overworlds out the window with -y as depth system.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
There is nothing stopping you manually sorting things... Like, have a controller object and then manually draw everything in that based on it's y position. Alternatively, if I remember rightly, there is a GPU function that will actually permit you to draw stuff outside of the +/-16000 range, as it's required for imported legacy GM 1.4 projects... can't remember what it is right now though... :8

PS: Interesting thread on this here on the forum: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/depth-ordering-in-gms2-priority-list-nested-list-grid-binary-list.13425/

zendraw

the only reasonable solution is to base the depth on the view position.
-(y-camera_y);
atleast for instances around the view, the rest can go to 0

what you suggest, dealing with data structures... that is a nono, opens up more work then nececery.