back to square 1: tile sheet conversion?

C

CruelBus

I'm in the process of converting my GMS1.4999 game into the most recent version of GMS2.3.1.542. I literally bought the software today and it's the first time I've worked with it. I have read what I could find about tile sheets and it's not what I need.

I have a GM1.4 "background" image that is a 512x2048 "tile sheet" to me, but it's just a big png file that I organized to pull individual "tiles" from to build the game levels. As far as I understand, that can't happen that way any more in GMS2. The "tiles" I created have different sizes. Some are similar, such as a 64x64, but may others are 64x80, 64x120, 80x64, etc. I thought about creating a "sprite sheet" but have read that so many draw_sprite_part commands crushes the system. I have no problem breaking everything down into individual sprites if such a thing is necessary, it would just make designing different new levels that much harder since I won't see everything in a single image.

Would the best idea be to reorganize my sheet into a 64x64 format, and for those tiles that are taller, just have them occupy the next tile below and have the rest be blank space to complete another 64x64 tile?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CruelBus

Ok, thanks.
(a few moments later...)
So, brushes won't help me because all of my tiles will be placed procedurally.

If I understand correctly, tile sheet images (the whole sheet) can be placed onto a texture page along with other tile sheet images, so I think I could just break the tiles down into different sets that have the same size and not suffer an extra page flip in doing so. Correct? (assuming I don't exceed the maximum texture page size)

Last edited by a moderator:

BenRK

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Tileset brushes let you assemble "brushes." so if I'm understanding you correctly, you have a tileset full of various tiles of different sizes. The brushes will let you keep one tileset asset and assemble these bigger brushes from the smaller tiles. Hopefully I was a little more clear. Kind of tired.

C

CruelBus

Tired - a way of life - heh. So, I won't be using the room editor at all. Tile placement for the level is created, somewhat randomly, through code and no level will look exactly like any other level except by some freak occurrence.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
"asset layers" is basically the old tile system, where you can place sprites of arbitrary sprites at arbitrary positions. Wouldn't hurt to look the functions up in the manual and see if it'd work for your game.

(Layers are all the same in code, the types are just a convenience tool for the room editor, so you don't need to create them in any special way)