Avoiding my game be a bad one...

W

Williams Saez

Hey.

Ultimately, i was watching and thinking about worst media, just for make my game avoid being a trash product for everyone.

One example is the Emoji Movie, panned by critics (Probably the audience, too) because of its lack of humor for laugh... for example... making the movie be called a waste of time. Another example is Nickelodeon's Fanboy and Chum Chum, also panned because of... its main characters... annoying, hiperactive, childish...
Maybe it's its annoying silliness.

Obligatory humor that makes everyone laugh for a comedy, annoying silliness not allowed ...

Examples of make one product of mine a true enjoyment one for everyone...

With my game's obligatory laugh-maker-for-everyone humor, i need to figure out the jokes...

I saw cartoons that make me laugh ultimately... Also others before...

I checked their jokes and how they contain for be jokes...

And i need to check some more and figure out the mine ones...

But i don't wanna plagiarize anything....

I just want to make my game, not an original product... but one that's inspired, but not plagiarized.

I also planned to make fun gameplay moments like, levels... puzzles...

To be fun to play for everyone...

I'm just checking things of games that are considered fun to play... and figure out...

But i said i don't wanna plagiarize anything....

I just want to make my game be rated 4 or 5 stars... 3 means the product is a mediocre one, it's not enough for me and my product... 2 and 1 means the product is bad, i was talking about how avoid be rated with that before, i don't really wanna make my product be rated of this rating! 4 means the product is good, it's enough! but 5 means it's very good, seems better, but i think 4 is enough for my product... i don't know, 5 would be better, but nothing's very perfect on the life, my project too...

I also checked Wikipedia's list of video games notable by bad reception article just for avoid my game be a bad one too, just before checking the things like Emoji movie as said before

Poor parts of the game (Including graphics...), grand annoying bugs, bad controls...

My game has annoying bugs as it's currently on early development, but i don't wanna make my game be buggy, also the rest of those mentioned before!

For the part of controls, back to the past, i was playing SNES games with a custom control setting that conforts me, and seems it probably conforts the rest of the world...

Graphics? I don't know about them, but they looks not poor anyways...

Everything else? The fun is what it matters with my game, it includes the levels, also the music...

Music? Sorry, before i can compose those melodies on the keyboard...

But now, i can't, i feel composing music is not for me...

But i hope this gets reverted in the future...

In conclusion, i'm actually afraid of making my game be at the end, panned by public and critics.

What do you think about all of this? Any tips?

G

Galax

I don't understand this. Just make a mock up/bare bones of it and post it in WIP. if it good then continue if not dont

F

FadedSketch

I'd say don't place so much importance on if your game is fun for others. While yes, the game is mostly made for the entertainment of others, you should be making a game that you want to play, that you find fun. Then other people like you will play it and go "hey, this is fun." The only way to find out if your game is fun and will do good, is by making it. :) Start small and grow from there. Or, if you're like me and really dislike making 'small' games, then try your hand at a medium sized one, or a demo-size of a larger project - It's more difficult, but in the end, there's more play value in it. ( I find them more fun anyways. )

tl;dr: The only way to know if your game is fun or not is to make it and find out! :D

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
While making a game others can enjoy is a good idea in theory, it's better to make something you can enjoy... because you can actually test that really quickly whenever you're unsure :p

W

Williams Saez

it's better to make something you can enjoy...
All my creations also make me enjoy...

At least i showed my drawings and music made by myself to my acquaintances (includes family and classmates)
and they had say all of those are good.

But what about videogame level designs?

Well, levels that make me enjoy too. I had fun with holding the run button on Mario Games when playing them in emulator, but... will make my levels force the player to hold the run button on all the level? No.
Will be unfair if all the levels consist on this i considerer. But i can try with levels were holding the run button is unnecesary, but fun for me and everyone else anyways.

My creations make me enjoy, my creations make people enjoy too...?

I'll just do my best for make level designs that make me get satisfaced. Will be good for the others if occurs this, this i hope... :)

Also, will be unfair if i'm with a kid that enjoys with things the others don't enjoy anything.

Luckly, i'm not that class of kid... or... ... ...

I don't know, but my acquaintances like my creations anyways :)

Also, i'll not put everything based on my things... just some of them... but... they include things that make me enjoy, but the others found weird. For example, a monster like The Devil from Cuphead, he wears pants... his main attack is squashing people with his feet... jumping... stomping... each time his feet stomps... brass doing glissando sound.
Later, a young by or a girl enjoyed because of the squashy feet of the monster, enjoys giving hugs and honey to the monster's feet...
As the monster's good with everyone else but bad with the heroes, he allows the boy/girl to touch his feet all he/she wants, despite it's annoying to make someone else touch people's feet...

Media like Fanboy and ChumChum and Uncle Grandpa include that class of siliness, and the notable silly content made those media be panned by critics...

But it's not so silly as those media's annoying silliness for me...
I think it's accurate with that class of siliness, a scene with...
An obsession and craziness with trash... just like how crazy you get when you eat lots of sugar...
That kind of scene i'm going to avoid to put it on my creations for avoid be panned because of its silliness...

Ah, also avoiding my game be released while unfinished in development (while on alpha state, especially) like the case of Big Rigs and Drake of the 99 Dragons :)

It's easy, it's just setting up my decisions :)
Also for avoiding my huge creation be panned by others, decisions...!
I'm pretty proud of take those great decisions for something huge like my huge creation now! :)

G

Guest User

Also, i'll not put everything based on my things... just some of them... but... they include things that make me enjoy, but the others found weird. For example, a monster like The Devil from Cuphead, he wears pants... his main attack is squashing people with his feet... jumping... stomping... each time his feet stomps... brass doing glissando sound.
Later, a young by or a girl enjoyed because of the squashy feet of the monster, enjoys giving hugs and honey to the monster's feet...
As the monster's good with everyone else but bad with the heroes, he allows the boy/girl to touch his feet all he/she wants, despite it's annoying to make someone else touch people's feet...
ehhh wait, am i reading this right? why are you having a "young child" act out foot worship on a monster?

if so, i would strongly advise you not include children in your fetish material, no matter how benign.

W

Williams Saez

ehhh wait, am i reading this right? why are you having a "young child" act out foot worship on a monster?

if so, i would strongly advise you not include children in your fetish material, no matter how benign.
Sorry... but as some children in the real world has feelings with feet and they touch them... i also had that when young.
It was also because of Morth's feeling with King Julien's feet... that also connects with what i said about children...

There's a other similar ridiculous idea based on me when young... feel something with ninjas and similars... (Hades, too...) and probably others...
I go nuts each time with that, but there's similars to this on the world. Examples of this are, Monster Kid and Undyne, and what Captain Cahoette made the people cheer because of him at the beginning of the episode...

I'm currently thinking about those concepts that will be featured inside my game's series... figuring out things and avoiding me-young-based bad siliness like Fanboy and ChumChum's...

Making games is tough. I really hope your game works out for you.

Also, if English isn't your first language, you should say that in each of your new threads, so people know. Some of your posts are a little hard to understand, which probably annoys some people. If they know English is your second language, they'll be more forgiving of you.

Like someone else said, I wouldn't worry much about what others think of your game. Make something you think is fun, and other people will probably think it's fun, too. Good luck!

Even if you're asking a lot of questions, it might be a good thing to do because it's part of the creation process, and you are asking a lot of good ones! Your final product reflect on which order you ask theses questions and how do you overcome them.

For me everything about the video-game making process has a lot to do with creativity, self-confidence and communication:
Communication is what you are doing right now, asking other's vision on your thoughts. Then, everyone has the power to create in my opinion, is just a matter of letting go and some self-confidence.

and about the "public" opinion or other's idea on your creation, I think it's good to be conscious on what you wanna do/don't wanna do but you're not forced to rely on the others in effort to do something good. A lot of games became a concept or a reference because they had theses unique ideas, sometime weird... and that comes with your personality and what you want your game to be.

This being said, the hard-realistic part is to have enough time to work on it and judge if you should throw yourself fully into the project or keep it part time, but that's up to you.

I totally agree with this:
The only way to know if your game is fun or not is to make it and find out!
Like someone else said, I wouldn't worry much about what others think of your game. Make something you think is fun, and other people will probably think it's fun, too. Good luck!
While making a game others can enjoy is a good idea in theory, it's better to make something you can enjoy... because you can actually test that really quickly whenever you're unsure :p
Don't rely too much on the others, have fun creating whatever comes out of your mind, don't be afraid of it, but don't expect too much or else you'll always be disappointed.

Good luck to you! :)

W

Williams Saez

Making games is tough. I really hope your game works out for you.
Yes... making a big, interactive creation of mine is difficult for me... but i really don't wanna cancel the project, it's for make me enjoy for myself, family and classmates... and maybe you... if someone here request me for my game on them, i'm going to make an english version of my game...
That project is the replacement of something i hate now... and i'm proud of myself for making something big of mine... it's a great part of my life!
Also, if English isn't your first language, you should say that in each of your new threads, so people know. Some of your posts are a little hard to understand, which probably annoys some people. If they know English is your second language, they'll be more forgiving of you.
Sorry... Some parts of what i say are from Google Translate as i don't know how they are in english...
Also i think there's some parts of my english with errors now...
I think i need to improve it with OpenEnglish.com or...
Make something you think is fun, and other people will probably think it's fun, too. Good luck!
Don't rely too much on the others, have fun creating whatever comes out of your mind, don't be afraid of it, but don't expect too much or else you'll always be disappointed.

Good luck to you! :)
Well, at least they animated me to make my game be enjoyable for me myself... i think it also enjoys everyone else also before when i started this thread, i'll simply do it.
But i'll keep avoiding anything that will make my creation be panned by critics and players anyways.

Even if you're asking a lot of questions, it might be a good thing to do because it's part of the creation process, and you are asking a lot of good ones! Your final product reflect on which order you ask theses questions and how do you overcome them.
Thanks for saying this of "What i ask here is good and part of my game creation". What a good decision i took with my game making! :)

PD: Raunchy people who says those words of hell generally makes rankings of worst things on Youtube in order to insult them with those cursed words all they want and show those raunchness that actually violates the terms of service as Youtube will delete videos with hate speech i saw before, that same people also put disturbing videos on the same site, in my opinion, they just put those trash because they're cowards, cowards that are like wild animals with the thing of insulting with those words o' hell, also, they demoster their coward enjoyning and sharing those disturbing videos. Besides this, watching what worst things on this world helps you avoiding putting worst things's content (that's what caused those things be considered the worst) on your creation, helpfully, as i currently did! That's the best part of that dang trash :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Rather than making specific recommendations on design and mechanics, my suggestion is that you give the "Post New Thread" button a break and just get your project started already. Design and mechanics are not your biggest issues, counter-productive fatalism and self-abdicating indecision are.

I've seen a whole bunch of your topics over the past few weeks, and every one of them demonstrate complete panic and anxiety. You aren't making bad decisions, you are simply not making any decisions on your own, period. You're like a deer caught in the headlights, you can run but you don't.

If there's anything I know about bad decisions, it's that many of them were made when the people in charge were panicky and distressed. If you'd quit anguishing over what you think others think about you and simply do what you think is right, chances are you'll get something sensible done.

Here's what I recommend that you do: Go PM an administrator asking for a moderator preview or a temporary posting ban on yourself, then work 2 months on your game without looking at the GMC for input or examples of game projects going sour. See for yourself how much more productive you are. There's no precedent of this, but I don't think continuing to post about your anxiety is doing your mental health or your work any good, and you need help cutting it out.

Last edited:
D

DeathandGrim

Just focus on making a game you want to play. There are other people who're just like you everywhere in the world, including in these here forums, who'd most likely find it fun for the same reasons you do.
The very last thing you'd want to get caught up in is a list of things you want your project not to be, rather than what you want it to be. :)

G

Guest User

Sorry... but as some children in the real world has feelings with feet and they touch them... i also had that when young.
It was also because of Morth's feeling with King Julien's feet... that also connects with what i said about children...
but are YOU a minor exploring your sexuality, or are you an adult?
it doesn't matter if it manifested in you young, it's still incredibly dubious for you to be using children to explore your sexual fantasies...especially if the purpose of this content is to establish a connection of shared experience with real-world children developing the same fancy.

but....i digress, it's neither illegal nor frowned upon. so, whatever. i'll concede, for now.

W

Williams Saez

I think it's enough for this posting for now, in conclusion, i actually know what i need to do for make what the name of this thread says, also for the tip of "Making my game be enjoyable for me, also it's enjoyable for everyone else if it's enjoyable for me, my creations actually enjoy me, and everyone else like them like me i like them, anyways..." and the thing of watching rankings of worst things ever for see what's the thing they make those things be considered the worst and avoid putting them on my creation, and probably others i can do by myself and making my big creations of my game be also considered good by people like my other ones like my drawings.

Now, the answers:
my suggestion is that you give the "Post New Thread" button a break and just get your project started already.
But what about bug fixes during development? (Various bugs also make one game be a bad one, so it's better to be fixed to make the creation better like the other other rated at least 4 stars of 5.
I've seen a whole bunch of your topics over the past few weeks, and every one of them demonstrate complete panic and anxiety. You aren't making bad decisions, you are simply not making any decisions on your own, period. You're like a deer caught in the headlights, you can run but you don't.
Sorry for the panic... it's just exageration of mine, sorry.
I'm currently working on control it...
Here's what I recommend that you do: Go PM an administrator asking for a moderator preview or a temporary posting ban on yourself, then work 2 months on your game without looking at the GMC for input or examples of game projects going sour
Better leaving bug fixes for the end of development, except the ones that crash the game...
but are YOU a minor exploring your sexuality, or are you an adult?
it doesn't matter if it manifested in you young, it's still incredibly dubious for you to be using children to explore your sexual fantasies...especially if the purpose of this content is to establish a connection of shared experience with real-world children developing the same fancy.

but....i digress, it's neither illegal nor frowned upon. so, whatever. i'll concede, for now.
(Doesn't want to give his answer to this...)
(Gives it anyways...)
I'm not an adult (Well, i'm about to be one, it's confirmed on my profile page) and i never enjoyned and thinked about enjoy with adult things fully at my youth (Y'know, three ex, etc...). That's because i'm not a vulgar person and i make kidsafe things, well as you said about "sexuality", i saw there's hidden adult things on children's shows... but with me, i think about avoid hide those things... but what it matters is avoiding putting very notable adult content, enough to make ESBR rate "M" for those content, for example. And that's i'm doing with my game, strictly as i said i'm not a vulgar guy and i never have a 100% care about adult things to now.

I suppose that's why rock music is so popular?
(Laughs, but he doesn't want to tell for this, the truth...)
(Just spots at what made him laugh)

cidwel

I remember ZUN. That guy who created the Touhou franchise:
- I only create games that I like to play.

Maybe you don't like the gameplay since it is insane, but he created a fanbase that also liked the gameplay as much as him.

Do something that you enjoy and keeps on the cannons of what a videogame is (creating a stone simulator maybe would not fit the community standards...or..maybe it can)

W

Williams Saez

I remember ZUN. That guy who created the Touhou franchise:
- I only create games that I like to play.
Wow, i knew there's guys on the world similsr to me, but they has one part of me per guy or two or even all.

Whatever, it's enough for now. I want to go to other topics for now.

C

caustique

if you're doing it for money, make what the market wants and not what you want, unless what you want is what the market wants anyway

W

Williams Saez

if you're doing it for money, make what the market wants and not what you want, unless what you want is what the market wants anyway
I'm not making the game for money, i'm making it at home for inspirstion reasons without any budget (At exception of the trialware program buying for make the game and its parts (Programming, Visuals and Sound), and tools like Scanner, among others... but they bought all of this much before early development, not me, my family at home, well, just the 75% aprox of the things... everything else is my fault. But there's no budget spending for now anymore like the other games made by companies at offices, like NaughtyDog or MDHR studio, etc...)
But i want to be enjoyable and unpanneable for everyone anyways, besides i'll share it with family and classmates after development first.
Sharing it with the classmates can cause the game to even be popular worldwide because of the share system, that's i think after do it...

C

caustique

I'm not making the game for money
jus make what you want cuz its your desire to do so, if youre not in it for profit. but.. if its rep your after, it needs to be what the market wants, otherwise, what are you doing here? you have a project to be working on

W

Williams Saez

what are you doing here? you have a project to be working on
Yes, i'm currently working on my game as i mentioned and talked about so much times before.
And i just came to this page for help me with during-my-game-development bug fixes.

cidwel

if its rep your after, it needs to be what the market wants
I really doubt this will work. You'll be competing with big companies that are trying to create the same: games without any magic (ubisoft/ea)

Who would imagine that a concept like minecraft or undertale could work in the market? you have not need to be totally original to create a really good product (stardew valley)

I think you need to think about "what message I want to tell to the people" instead of "what mechanics are most demanding"

C

caustique

Yes, i'm currently working on my game as
i mentioned and talked about so much times before.
And i just came to this page for help me with during-my-game-development bug fixes.
i was jus saying you shouldnt fear failure if money or rep isnt involved

I really doubt this will work. You'll be competing with big companies that are trying to create the same: games without any magic (ubisoft/ea)"
heh. no. not sure where you got this from. never said anything about AAAs

anyway. just look at the market for indie devs. what sells best? usually just metroidvanias an zelda clones. funny enough the ones that do the best are just carbon copies of each other. make sumthin out of that spectrum and the chance of failure is much higher

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I think you need to think about "what message I want to tell to the people" instead of "what mechanics are most demanding"
It's actually pretty good to think about what mechanics are the most demanding, though (as opposed to "in demand" which I guess you meant)... if you decide what should go in your games without thinking about how much work it'd be to implement it, it's easy to waste lots of time and energy making something that ends up not being very fun in the end anyway. To be productive, you essentially need to always think about how you can work less :p

cidwel

It's actually pretty good to think about what mechanics are the most demanding, though (as opposed to "in demand" which I guess you meant)
Oh sorry. My english skills are as good as homer preparing a breakfast.

I wanted to tell that instead trying to compete making a call of duty /overwatch/ undertale clone only because it is what sells good, it is better to just send a pure message with your your game. Doing things with the heart instead for the wallet. Otherwise you will be competing with really big companies that lost their hearts long time ago.

And @caustique. I'm pretty sure that you can get a top 20 list of indie games without a metroidvania on it. I could only relate Cave Story. I think the issue is that the indie market is full of metroidvanias, but I really doubt that they are "what most sells"

C

caustique

sadly @cidwel, it's been zelda clones an that for a while.. it would take a lot of actual work, actual thought, and true love in order to create something that breaks the mould AND sells. remember that the OTHER genre that sells are zelda clones. never forget how the market mostly comprises of that unoriginal, pure unadulterated trash, yknow, in case anyone wants a quick buck. dun forget to cry homage

It's actually pretty good to think about what mechanics are the most demanding, though (as opposed to "in demand" which I guess you meant)... if you decide what should go in your games without thinking about how much work it'd be to implement it, it's easy to waste lots of time and energy making something that ends up not being very fun in the end anyway. To be productive, you essentially need to always think about how you can work less :p
to be productive, you need to work quick (or in your language, "less"), one element at a time, else you drown an quit

Oh sorry. My english skills are as good as homer preparing a breakfast.
dun let that stain grammar check you. it only makes it stronger when you show weakness

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Otherwise you will be competing with really big companies that lost their hearts long time ago.
And more importantly, has much more resources, so they can make a more polished product. It's much better to make something as different as possible just so you won't be compared (negatively) with a more polished, similar thing. It's happened a lot in the past, too - Croc vs Super Mario 64, Bubsy 3D vs Crash Bandicoot, Yooka-Laylee vs A Hat In Time... sure, video game journalists these days compare everything with Dark Souls, but it's been laughing stock among gamers because they know it doesn't make sense to compare completely different things like that. Games like Journey, Windwaker, Parappa The Rapper and Vib Ribbon still get recognition for their unique styles to this day, despite not being ultra-top-notch visually anymore since technology marched on.