• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Average Tilesize for a cartoon like Graphics

Hello, I was wondering if what would be the ideal tilesize for making a cartoon like platform game. My game isn't gonna be pixelated like most games. I'm actually gonna use cartoon like graphics. So what would be the best size, 32 x 32 or 64 x 64? Also I made a mock up of what the game would look like. Please respond if you have any advice. Thanks in advance. Fungi Forest 4th Attempt with Gameplay.png

PS: The game resolution is gonna be either 720p or 1080p

For games like these where the tiling is not really apparent, I would just go in Photoshop, Pro Motion, or whatever to make a game mockup and use the smallest "grid cell" and use that. In this screenshot, it looks like it would be whatever the height of that small platform on the middle right. Looking the way it looks, the grid size will be non-apparent, except for the floors and platforms, so base it on that.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
In this screenshot, it looks like it would be whatever the height of that small platform on the middle right.
Tiles can have blank space, so you don't NEED this - it's always better to have a square tile shape so things like autotiling (and planning tile linkage when drawing the tileset!) gets easier. 🐧 .

Last edited:
Actually I forgot the mention that the tiles were gonna be the classic square shape, because it definitely does make autotiling easier.
Do you happen to know what the best tile size might be for a non pixelated look?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
16x16 is pretty ubiquitous, a lot of old games were based around that tile size since it's 256 pixels (which means one tile of graphics data is representable as exactly 1 / 2 / 4 / 8 bytes depending on color depth, which means no wasted memory). The NES used 8x8 tiles, but with palettes applying for each 2x2 tile chunk (to save memory) and a lot of games used clever tricks where 8x8 pieces were functionally arranged as if they were 16x16 tiles, reusing pieces where possible to save memory.

NightFrost

One way would be to ask yourself: "what is the smallest size of my repeatable terrain tiles?" and go from there. Part of the pixelart look vs non-pixelart look is how the graphics is drawn, so it is not all about size of your tiles.