• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Avast Threat Warning

dudaxan

Hello! Starting today, I'm receiving a "threat warning" from time to time for Gamemaker's executable on the Avast Antivirus. What I'd like to know is whether I should consider it a false positive or not.

This is the warning popup:
2021-05-14_13-43.png

I've never received this kind of warning before. Please let me know on how I should proceed.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I don't use Avast so I haven't seen this error... My recommendation would be to uninstall GameMaker completely, then run a scan and see if you still get the issue. If you don't then get the latest installer from the YYG website, and re-install. If you get the alert again then you can be fairly sure it's a false positive. If, after uninstalling you still get the issue, then you probably have some form of virus/malware/spyware on your machines. You could also try a secondary scanner (I recommend Malware Bytes) and see what it says to get a "second opinion". Finally, regardless of the outcome, I'd report this to YYG and let them know too.

dudaxan

I did scan Gamemaker's folder with Avast and got no issue. The threat warning message only appeared while actually running the application.

dudaxan

I don't use Avast so I haven't seen this error... My recommendation would be to uninstall GameMaker completely, then run a scan and see if you still get the issue. If you don't then get the latest installer from the YYG website, and re-install. If you get the alert again then you can be fairly sure it's a false positive. If, after uninstalling you still get the issue, then you probably have some form of virus/malware/spyware on your machines. You could also try a secondary scanner (I recommend Malware Bytes) and see what it says to get a "second opinion". Finally, regardless of the outcome, I'd report this to YYG and let them know too.
@EvanSki @Nocturne

I tried installing a fresh copy of Gamemaker and it seems to have fixed the issue... I'll leave it running a little bit longer to see if the warning message will popup again.

O.Stogden

I just installed Avast to see, and after about 20 minutes of running GMS 2.3.2, I also got this alert. It was loud, and I jumped. :(

VirusTotal seems to return that Kaspersky views the IP as an IP with "Phishing" related to it. However others have viewed it as "clear".

Another website I checked said the IP/website has had no reported issues, however it has out of date certificates and uses HTTP not HTTPS, which may cause a security warning when accessing the site from a browser.

It's possible that GMS's internal web browsery thingie is attempting to communicate with a site that isn't using HTTPS and it's causing an issue?

Last edited:

dudaxan

I just installed Avast to see, and after about 20 minutes of running GMS 2.3.2, I also got this alert. It was loud, and I jumped. :(
🤣
That's Avast, for sure haha

After a while, I got the warning again. It is probably a false-positive, or it least I hope so.

chamaeleon

GMS2 does also use a small handful of third-party websites in order to confirm if the machine has internet access. We would recommend that you allow at least one of these, as it helps GMS2 confirm if there is internet but that our server is offline, and it will avoid unnecessary licensing attempts during these situations.

I suspect (I don't have any particular knowledge regarding this, I could be wrong) GMS doesn't do anything besides attempting to connect, without any information transfer besides the TCP connect packets. In other words, I doubt any malicious data is transferred back (but malware protection software wouldn't know this is all GMS does and prevents the connection in the first place for your safety).

O.Stogden

@chamaeleon It seems likely that this is the case.

The problem is, the IP address being referred to here links to a non-secured website, and then redirects to a non-secured version of Baidu. It uses HTTP, not HTTPS, which is likely why Avast and AVG are freaking out.

If you search for Baidu on google, it takes you to a HTTPS:// Baidu website. If you type that IP address in, it takes you to an HTTP:// Baidu website, that is identical, but not secure.
Could probably do with merging these threads haha. But here's my quote from the other one.

I guess it would simply be a case of YYG making it check the HTTPS version of Baidu instead of the HTTP version like it does now. Is there ever a reason not to use HTTPS nowadays?

chamaeleon

Why not just ping their own main website???
We would recommend that you allow at least one of these, as it helps GMS2 confirm if there is internet but that our server is offline, and it will avoid unnecessary licensing attempts during these situations.
Edit: Having quoted that, they could run some minimal/cheapest AWS (and/or other clouds) instances themselves across various regions and be in control of these connection endpoints, of course.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
When YoYo decides to address this issue, I would suggest that they switch to http://example.com for detecting online presence. It is officially backed by ICANN, loads extremely quickly, has uptime rivalling the major search engines, and is at little to no risk of being censored or firewalled (which is the main reason for the Baidu and Yandex fallbacks).

Hello! Starting today, I'm receiving a "threat warning" from time to time for Gamemaker's executable on the Avast Antivirus. What I'd like to know is whether I should consider it a false positive or not.

This is the warning popup:
View attachment 39985

I've never received this kind of warning before. Please let me know on how I should proceed.
Same warning with AVG here:

1621253699387.png

It pops up every 10 min or so even after re-adding an exception...I could ignore it if it didn't take focus away while I'm in the middle of typing lol Turning off notifications till it's fixed NO HACKING ME RN PLZ

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Yeah example.com never works for me, might be region based?
It is actually a DNS issue in my case. I always just use the DNS that the Spectrum router gives me, which is whatever they are using by default. If I switch to a static DNS setting(I use google's 8.8.8.8), example.com works for me. I'm just gonna leave it like this since it is working, wouldn't be surprised if Google's DNS works better than whatever Spectrum is giving me anyway.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
It is actually a DNS issue in my case. I always just use the DNS that the Spectrum router gives me, which is whatever they are using by default. If I switch to a static DNS setting(I use google's 8.8.8.8), example.com works for me. I'm just gonna leave it like this since it is working, wouldn't be surprised if Google's DNS works better than whatever Spectrum is giving me anyway.
:p i use spectrums default DNS and example.com still works