• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Autocomplete for global variables no longer adding "global." prefix -- intended?

jedy567

Previously-defined global variables, when typed elsewhere, correctly show as global in the completion tooltip window, but when choosing a given global with "enter" when selecting inside that window, there's no "global." inserted in the code editor. In other words, the global variable is written as an instance variable when autocompleted.

I know things changed regarding global scope with functions -- is the lack of autocomplete for global variables intended behavior as well? If not, I'll submit a bug report.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Did GM ever insert the global keyword? I honestly don't know as I always write the global keyword manually... If it DID then yes, I'd file this as a bug.

jedy567

I feel like I'm losing my mind then. I've been using GMS2 daily for over a year and I was 100% sure it always inserted the global. prefix. I'm only certain because I noticed it as a minor annoyance after upgrading to 2.3.0. Can anyone else corroborate? Otherwise I'll check myself into the nearest insane asylum.

P

ph101

You are right - in 2.2.5.481, if there is a global variable eg global.pulse and you type out a variable name eg "pulse" it will give you an autocomplete option for global.pulse (in purple).

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I never noticed it doing it...but since I always typed the global word myself that would explain if it happened without my noticing it.