• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Visual Auto Tile In-Game

C

Comrade Corwin

I am currently using DnD to see how GML works, so I would greatly appreciate if any answers given use that format and pictures would be incredibly helpful, as I am a very visually-oriented learner.

I have created a tile set with an auto tile library. What I am hoping to do is program an object to use that library to draw a map using the "drunken walk" method like they used in Nuclear Throne. I've already created a fully functional 'drunken walker' object by using an alarm to create a loop (very proud of myself ;)), so that shouldn't need to be included in the answer, if that helps.

I suppose I would also need to find out how to make these tiles have the appropriate collision, but I suppose I might be able to ask that in another thread or do some more research, first.

Also, any help with my jargon would probably be helpful when engaging with this community, as I have mostly been winging this whole development thing so far and haven't had to learn proper terminology to communicate with... well, me.

Is this possible? Thanks in advance!

samspade

Unfortunately there is no built in way to autotile through code. However, there are several autotile assets available in the marketplace that work well.

There are also various tutorials online for it. You don't even need to stick to GML tutorials (though there are a few) as the basic idea is pretty universal so any language will do it.

I'm not sure how to do it in drag and drop.