• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Auto-Show Hidden Docked Windows on Mouse Over?

As I've scanned the forum, I've seen some people complaining about the lack of space to work when using GMS2 on a smaller monitor or laptop. Of course, to make more room the end-user can hide any docked window by clicking the button on the edge (such as at the edge of the docked Resource Tree, etc.). This is great because it opens up more room to work on the work space. But if you need to access these hidden, docked windows again, you need to go back to that button and click it again, do what you need to do in that window (such as create a new sprite, object, sound, or room, etc.) and then click the button again to hide it.

I would like to suggest that YYG add a preference (so the end-user can enable/disable this) where hidden windows will auto-appear when the hide button is moused over.

So, you click the edge button to hide the Resource Tree. Then, later, you need to access the Resource Tree. You simply drag your mouse over the edge where the window is hidden and the Resource Tree pops open automatically. As long as your mouse stays over the Resource Tree window, it remains open. This would allow the end user to move up/down the Resource Tree freely to do things like create new sprites, objects, etc. When the mouse leaves the Resource Tree area it pops back to hidden.

In this manner, the work space can be kept fully opened and uncluttered with any docked and hidden window accessible via mousing over it's hidden area, allowing it to hide automatically once the end-user mouses out to go back to working in the work area.

Just a suggestion. Thoughts?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Well, I guess this was not a feature suggestion anyone was interested in. ;)
LOL! Actually, I loved the idea and have brought it up with the YYG devs... can't say any more than that right now, but it has been seen and is being considered at least! :)

Another thought hit me ... use the TAB key to auto-hide EVERYTHING docked, leaving only the work space. Hitting TAB again would bring everything back. This is how things are done in programs like Photoshop to open the canvas to full screen with nothing else in the way.

Personally, I like the auto-hide feature I suggested above as I don't need to click anything, but this works, too.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Another thought hit me ... use the TAB key to auto-hide EVERYTHING docked, leaving only the work space. Hitting TAB again would bring everything back. This is how things are done in programs like Photoshop to open the canvas to full screen with nothing else in the way.
Press F12. :)

Press F12. :)
Thanks pretty awesome! Thank you!

However, may I humbly suggest changing this to TAB from F12? There are a few reasons for this:

1 - It is pretty much the industry standard to use TAB to hide all docked windows in software like Photoshop, etc.
2 - TAB is on the left side of the keyboard. Most people are right handed (sorry, left handed folks, but it's true) and, as such, using TAB means the end-user can keep their right hand on the mouse and their left hand has easy access to TAB. Reaching across with the left hand to hit F12 is more "difficult".
3 - From looking through the listed shortcut keys in the current manual, TAB is not being currently used. So switching to TAB from F12 would not take away any functionality from GMS2, but would increase the likelihood of this feature being used (see point 2 above).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Thanks pretty awesome! Thank you!

However, may I humbly suggest changing this to TAB from F12? There are a few reasons for this:

1 - It is pretty much the industry standard to use TAB to hide all docked windows in software like Photoshop, etc.
2 - TAB is on the left side of the keyboard. Most people are right handed (sorry, left handed folks, but it's true) and, as such, using TAB means the end-user can keep their right hand on the mouse and their left hand has easy access to TAB. Reaching across with the left hand to hit F12 is more "difficult".
3 - From looking through the listed shortcut keys in the current manual, TAB is not being currently used. So switching to TAB from F12 would not take away any functionality from GMS2, but would increase the likelihood of this feature being used (see point 2 above).
File a bug suggesting it and give all these reasons. I'd certainly be happier if it was tab too...

Mick

TAB is used to insert tabs in the code editor and also to move between controls in windows.

TAB is used to insert tabs in the code editor and also to move between controls in windows.
As it is in Photoshop, too (i.e. to insert tabs when working on text, etc.). But when you are not doing those things, it brings the canvas (Photoshop's equivalent of a work space) to full screen (i.e. hides all docked windows). The point is, this is the industry standard. TAB is used to maximize the canvas or work space in a myriad of programs. As a result, I still believe that it should be the case in GMS2.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We're not swapping to tab as while editing text - which you do a lot, you wouldn't be able to hide the docks. Has to be a key which isn't normally used while typing.
Photoshop can get away with it, as you don't edit text very much, we do. It's might be a standard in image tools, but certainly not ion text tools.

Isn't going to happen. sorry.

We're not swapping to tab as while editing text - which you do a lot, you wouldn't be able to hide the docks. Has to be a key which isn't normally used while typing.
Photoshop can get away with it, as you don't edit text very much, we do. It's might be a standard in image tools, but certainly not ion text tools.

Isn't going to happen. sorry.
No worries. However, I would like to ask that we find another shortcut than F12. Again, most people are right handed and, as such, their right hand is normally on the mouse. Thus, having a shortcut key near to where the right hand normally rests makes it fast and easy to access. This is why the WASD keys replaced the arrow keys for navigation in real-time 3D games. This is why most 3D modeling programs have the most commonly used shortcuts clustered to the left of the keyboard, etc. So, if we can't use TAB due to coding, then why not the TILDE key? Or some key combo like ALT+TAB or some such? Since some people are complaining about needing more real estate for the work space, then I would guess having a left-hand easy access to hiding docked windows would be frequently used.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yeah, I can see it being (more of) a pain for left handed folk.... But then again, TAB favours left handed folk more as well really. *shrug*

At some point however, you will be able to redefine (all) the keys, and they you'll be able to pick the key you want. We've just not had time to finish this off yet, but this is the proper *fix* for it.