Augury - Procedurally generated open world RTS game

Ches Rowe

logo_new_NO_BACKGROUND_COLOR.png

Augury is a procedurally generated open world RTS game that me and my friend have been working on for a few years now off and on. We make up what we call Cataclysmic Studios.
I wanted to start a development thread with the start of our YouTube devlog series, and a looming closed pre-alpha.
I hope you guys find interest in the game!

Augury is a game about building a settlement in an uncharted land and discovering it's secrets.
Mine and collect resources, defeat enemies, and explore the vast world!

ingame.png

I'll be updating this thread as new features are implemented and to offer access to the closed pre-alpha!
You can also stay up to date by joining our discord and if you really like the project, consider supporting us on patreon!

Our Discord

Our Patreon

Our Twitter

Last edited:

Ches Rowe

I have recently updated how terrain in our game is generated using surfaces!

I am initially storing the sprite data into arrays and then dynamically drawing that data to a surface if the terrain is in view.

This is some neat looking Game! I watched your intro video and I really hope you continue and persevere in this gamdev journey! Don't let go of your dreams!

D

Deleted member 45063

The game is looking good! Just saw your devlogs, pretty interesting :) Will keep an eye out for this game.

Ches Rowe

This is some neat looking Game! I watched your intro video and I really hope you continue and persevere in this gamdev journey! Don't let go of your dreams!
Thanks! Working a full time job and pursuing game dev is very difficult, but i'm not giving up haha. I checked out Beartopia and it looks very cool as well!

Ches Rowe

We have just released our newest devlog, going over updates to our camera system, world generation, and more!

Ches Rowe

In case anyone hasn't been able to see our newest devlog, here is a gif of the new attacking animation for our military units called guardians :)

Ches Rowe

I've added the ability to speed up the game! I've overhauled the game's implementation of delta_time by making delta time a normalized value where 1 = normal speed. I'm rounding the delta time variable to just 1 decimal place as there is going to naturally be a bit of variation in frametime past that.
GML:
/// @desc delta time

var deltaTimeMax = 500;
var deltatTimeMin = 1000 / room_speed; //Basically the target frametime
var deltaTimeMs = clamp(delta_time / 1000, deltatTimeMin, deltaTimeMax);
var deltaTimeNorm = norm(0, deltatTimeMin, deltaTimeMs);
var deltaTimeNormRounded = floor_decimals(deltaTimeNorm, 1);

global.deltaTime = deltaTimeNormRounded;
As the framerate drops below the target framerate, the delta time normal will go up (to a maximum value). Combining this with a global game speed variable, I calculate values in the game that are time dependant as :
GML:
value = (value * global.deltaTime) * global.gameSpeed
So far, in the words of Tom Howard, it just works.....for the most part. Sometimes the clamp function will need to be used to make sure some things don't go too fast. But the game can easily go up to x100 speed and most of the logic just works when plugged into my delta time function.

Here is the game running with gamespeed 100:

Last edited:

Ches Rowe

I now have ranged combat implemented into the game. One interesting thing I've done is calculating the arc of the arrows with bezier curves. With that, I've added a system where the bezier curves are generated to avoid hills! Guardians(our military units) can always hit a target regardless of the terrain.

Ches Rowe

The world in Augury is huge. So to encourage exploration with units, I've starting implementing fog of war!

This implementation uses a Perlin noise shader that is drawn to a surface. It's still very early, and I need to mess around with the settings of the noise, as well as try layering multiple layers together.

Ches Rowe

Updated the fog of war to look nicer, now using 4 separate layers of noise moving in different directions to create the effect!

Also recently added in an outline shader, here is an example of how it really adds to the feel of selecting units!

Ches Rowe

The 'selected unit' brackets are a bit much. In this case, I'd say simpler is better.
@CMAllen Thanks for the feedback :) Those brackets are actually one of the only original pieces of art that are held over from the game's original prototype. I agree that they are in need of being replaced!

Ches Rowe

I have recently decided to take the music of Augury into a new direction. With that being said, I've combined all of the old music into an EP of sorts to commemorate this time of my life. Hope you guys enjoy it.