• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Augmented reality (request)

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
hi everyone, don't know if the requests are still being taken. But here it goes nothing.. xD I wanted to ask for some basic image processing capabilities for our GML framework. What do I mean by that? Well some functions that help handling glyph recognition and analyses (compute rotation angles, skews...) this would be important step towards AR apps.
(The basis for detecting QR code and alike)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

No, I don't know for sure. But it really doesn't sound like something YYG is looking to support.

If you want to know for sure, submit a suggestion on their helpdesk and wait for a response.

http://help.yoyogames.com

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I would be VERY surprised if this suggestion got anywhere... Currently there is almost zero interest in such features, and also the market for games that would use them is tiny too. The amount of time and manpower required to create such things would be very high and so I can't see such a move being paid off for YYG. Nothing to stop you writing your own extensions to do it though. :)

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I would be VERY surprised if this suggestion got anywhere... Currently there is almost zero interest in such features, and also the market for games that would use them is tiny too. The amount of time and manpower required to create such things would be very high and so I can't see such a move being paid off for YYG. Nothing to stop you writing your own extensions to do it though. :)
Well then, what about native GML accessing to the camera on android and iOS? Or even webcam on PC or OSX? That would be a great step already! the only thing that would be needed then would be the image processing.
Is camera access in the plans for the near future? (It's not on the roadmap )

P

psyke

Using Augmented Reality for 2D is pointless.
When you're dealing with Augmented Reality, the background being displayed is the camera itself (the real life, which is a 3D environment). Displaying 2D sprites floating on the screen with the camera as the background would just throw away the concept of REALITY.

If you want Augmented Reality, just use Unity with Vuforia, I've used it before, it's very powerful and has everything you need.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Using Augmented Reality for 2D is pointless.
When you're dealing with Augmented Reality, the background being displayed is the camera itself (the real life, which is a 3D environment). Displaying 2D sprites floating on the screen with the camera as the background would just throw away the concept of REALITY.

If you want Augmented Reality, just use Unity with Vuforia, I've used it before, it's very powerful and has everything you need.
Well maybe I don't want or need true augmented reality :) as I said in the first topics I want something that looks like it: access to camera and some pattern finding method :) I don't want to reveale much more, I said augmented reality but I also said image processing/analyses functions... I just need the basics to work my way.... you can also use fake 3D techniques and 2.5 in conjunction with image analyses to enhance your game. The limit is your imagination...

For example you are creating a memory match game for children you don't need 3D just 2D replacements for the patterns ;)

P

psyke

The limit is not only your imagination, if you don't use the correct technology, you will fail to achieve your goal.
Have you ever used Augmented Reality before? I'm just curious, because there is no such thing as "true augmented reality", it seems like you only need some kind of extension to process images from the camera, AR is much broader than that.

Also, for a memory game you would still need to use 3D features to display the figures on a table or something like that, otherwise it would be just a 2D game on top of the camera background (which, again, makes AR pointless).

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The limit is not only your imagination, if you don't use the correct technology, you will fail to achieve your goal.
Have you ever used Augmented Reality before? I'm just curious, because there is no such thing as "true augmented reality", it seems like you only need some kind of extension to process images from the camera, AR is much broader than that.

Also, for a memory game you would still need to use 3D features to display the figures on a table or something like that, otherwise it would be just a 2D game on top of the camera background (which, again, makes AR pointless).
Thank you for your help :)

NightFrost

ARGs are not necessarily camera-focused games. Just look at Ingress, where the game (aka "ingress scanner") is based on google maps data, Niantic's initial seeding of portal locations, and user-submitted portal locations. (And years later served as base data for POGO).

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Well then, what about native GML accessing to the camera on android and iOS? Or even webcam on PC or OSX? That would be a great step already! the only thing that would be needed then would be the image processing.
Is camera access in the plans for the near future? (It's not on the roadmap )
Valid to assume that that camera-related functions are not on roadmap (and won't be) because:
  1. They can be implemented via native extensions.
    Some extensions exist for this already, and you could likely pay someone to do something suitable for your particular needs.
    With introduction of buffer pointers, it is entirely possible to have the game analyze camera feed in real-time.
  2. They are only used by a small subset of games.
    I think even 1% might be a generous estimate.
    As history shows, features are not commonly implemented (and supported for years afterwards) if they only benefit a very small fraction of userbase.

M

mazimadu

Using an extension to get the camera and orientation data, I see not reason this needs to be built into GMS. Besides, how would you use AR in a 2D game anyway?