• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Audio

Neptune

Hello!
I'm looking for any suggestions on sound.
I'm having an issue where sound effects suppress each-other's volumes.

Ex:
sound_ef1 is playing
sound_ef2 begins playing
sound_ef1's volume instantly drops by 30-70% (The percentage is a guess, though it is drastic).

My longer tracks are MP3 formats, and I use the function audio_play_sound(index,1,boolean) to initialize them.
All other shorter sounds are WAV format, and use audio_play_sound(index,2,boolean).

(I changed the priority between long/short sounds, but I don't think it affects anything unless a lot of sounds played all at once?)

Any insight or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thank-you!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Could this be caused by the audio card/chip on your PC? Some chips come with audio software that automatically has compressor/limiter settings active... and no, this can't be a priority issue, as if the sound has a greater priority over another, the original sound will just be stopped and cut-off, not made quieter.

obscene

Those were my thoughts as well... See the image below. Control Panel > Sound > Playback Tab > Right Click Device > Properties > Enhancements Tab

Attachments