• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Audio Audio equalizing/normalizing method?

Biosyn

Hello to all,

I have a bunch of sound files (.ogg) where a couple have high base volumes while some are relatively low. Is there a way to equalize them so they all have a relatively equal volume level?

I tried using WavePad's batch + normalize, and while it worked to increase the volume of the low base volume sounds, it didn't really do anything to reduce the volume of the high base volume sounds, which are still somewhat louder than usual.

Would be interested in knowing if others had any suggestions for this?

Thanks.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
In GMS2, there's a "volume mixer" that lets you open a large number of audio files at the same time and adjust them relative to each other. In prior versions, the only thing you can really do is to use audio_sound_gain to manually adjust the volume, and have an array of relative loudness for each sound which you figure out through trial and error.

In GMS2, there's a "volume mixer" that lets you open a large number of audio files at the same time and adjust them relative to each other. In prior versions, the only thing you can really do is to use audio_sound_gain to manually adjust the volume, and have an array of relative loudness for each sound which you figure out through trial and error.
The hidden nature of this mixer is kinda silly to me, I've been using GMS for years and literally found it last week. Holy 💩💩💩💩 it's 100% made handling sound a million times easier. I can mix sound volume according to other sounds...What a game-changer. The code I've been using since then is:
Code:
audio_sound_gain(sound_variable,audio_sound_get_gain(sound_asset_name)*global.sfx_volume,0); // For sfx
audio_sound_gain(sound_variable,audio_sound_get_gain(sound_asset_name)*global.music_volume,0); // For music
It has honestly made working with sound a million times easier and I cannot believe that it's not more prominent in the sound asset window thingy.

D

dannyjenn

How many sound files do you have? If it's not too many, you could just fix them one at a time in Audacity. (Highlight the waveform, then go to Effect > Amplify)

Biosyn

Thank you all for the input.

I was hoping for an external solution to batch process all the sounds at once, or in limited number of groups, but it seems like such a solution doesn't currently exist beyond the tools available right now. There are 500+ sounds so the batch processing is somewhat of a necessity.

Just tried the Sound Mixer and it looks promising. The only problem is I'm using FMOD and the sounds are Included Files and unfortunately the mixer can't load those :( .

Anywho, great to have received some clarifications.