• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Audio Emitters and Stereo Sound Assets

obscene

Is it normal behavior in a 2D game that if you play a stereo sound on an emitter the volume of that sound would not increase/decrease as it is moved relative to the listener or that the balance of the stereo field would not change either?

From everything I've seen, playing a stereo sound sounds exactly the same regardless of whether you even use emitters, or the position of the emitter, listener or otherwise and those effects ONLY work on mono sounds.

Jabbers

I've noticed I can only get .OGG sound streams to play in a 3D setup if they are mono. I am not sure about assets added to the game manually, I don't think I have ever had an issue as long as it was ticked as 3D, but it may be that GameMaker converts them to mono when you run the game (I am just speculating here). I don't think this has anything to do with GameMaker, I have modded games before and they have required mono sound files to play 3D sounds. Maybe someone who knows more about this can explain why.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
3D sound (something that changes as the emitter moves around, relative to the listener) MUST use MONO audio for all the calculations to work properly, so if you want that then you cannot work.

If you tick the 3D sound we do indeed modify the sound to be MONO for you in the background.

Russell

obscene

OK, that clears that up somewhat. However what I've been doing is setting 99% of my sounds to mono (not 3D) and then I get the correct functionality from the emitters / listeners. So if ticking 3D simply converts the sound to mono, what is the difference between ticking 3D vs mono?