• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Attack animations and small sprites

W

Wild_West

What is the best way to go about making a small sprite and animating it with a long weapon ?
I was thinking 64x64 or 100x100 in size

NightFrost

I've seen small sprites doing good attack animations. It is up to the artist's skill to convey movement with a small amount of pixels. I'd say first select a consistent size to your characters and enemies and build around that. Sprite animation tools should let you easily enargen the canvas if you run into problems with space.

I'd recommend 32 x 32 if this is your first rodeo. If you're going for HD, vector art, or digital painting, you might want to do 64 x 64+

A

AzureCube

Try using 32x32 for the character's idle sprite and swapping to something like 64x32 for the attack and just making sure the sprite origin remains in the same place

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You could use image_angle to rotate sprites, this lets you make really smooth attack animations without having to worry about the optimal sprite size... just make the weapon and character different sprites and move the weapon sprite around to simulate sword swings, stabs etc.

W

Wild_West

You could use image_angle to rotate sprites, this lets you make really smooth attack animations without having to worry about the optimal sprite size... just make the weapon and character different sprites and move the weapon sprite around to simulate sword swings, stabs etc.
I did try that once inspired by the sword swipes from top down Zelda but I couldn't get the angles to look right