1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Attack animations and small sprites

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Wild_West, Jul 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wild_West

Wild_West Member

What is the best way to go about making a small sprite and animating it with a long weapon ?
    I was thinking 64x64 or 100x100 in size

2. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

I've seen small sprites doing good attack animations. It is up to the artist's skill to convey movement with a small amount of pixels. I'd say first select a consistent size to your characters and enemies and build around that. Sprite animation tools should let you easily enargen the canvas if you run into problems with space.

3. Toque

Toque Member

64 or a 100 is large enough to get good animations. Skill more important than size

Phil Strahl and sitebender like this.
  4. sitebender

sitebender Member

I'd recommend 32 x 32 if this is your first rodeo. If you're going for HD, vector art, or digital painting, you might want to do 64 x 64+

Toque likes this.
  5. AzureCube

AzureCube Member

Try using 32x32 for the character's idle sprite and swapping to something like 64x32 for the attack and just making sure the sprite origin remains in the same place

6. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

You could use image_angle to rotate sprites, this lets you make really smooth attack animations without having to worry about the optimal sprite size... just make the weapon and character different sprites and move the weapon sprite around to simulate sword swings, stabs etc.

7. Wild_West

Wild_West Member

I did try that once inspired by the sword swipes from top down Zelda but I couldn't get the angles to look right