• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Attach a sprite to another sprite

F

FIRO

Hi.

I have a character sprite. I want to make my character walk without sword but when player hit a button, how can I make it walk with sword? If I draw it, it will take a lot of time. Is there any way to attach sword sprite to character sprite?

cdgamedev

Hi.

I have a character sprite. I want to make my character walk without sword but when player hit a button, how can I make it walk with sword? If I draw it, it will take a lot of time. Is there any way to attach sword sprite to character sprite?
I don't think that there is a way to attach it, but you could create the sword as an object and toggle when it should be there, i.e. instance_create and instance_destroy.... All I can think of off the top of my head

F

FIRO

Thanks for replying, so I need to draw it frame to frame. It is gonna be hard for me :)

Vxss57

Im working on an isometric game so thats 8 animations for every function, at 4-5 sprites for every animation... what did i get myself into

HayManMarc

Yep. You can end up with lot of sprites, depending on how much visual detail you want to include. And yes, it can get grueling. :)

Edit: Working smart, you can use overlays to reduce the number of sprites.

Last edited: