Windows Asteroids 1979 Edition

Sabnock

Asteroids 1979 edition

My aim here was not to make something that is new but to attempt to recreate the original in all aspects. A task that has not been as easy as I first thought. It was purely an exercise for learning GML and programming structure.

The challenges were many including not least the fair go re spawn for the player but the result i feel is pretty close but I'll let you be the judge of that. It supports both Keyboard and XBox 360 controller and the controls are listed in the game if you press F1 or hit the A button on a controller in the title screen.

For this game i have worked hard to achieve a realistic version of the fair go re spawn for the player and all the little things that made the original great. I wrote my own text drawing and high score input / display, there are no surfaces here just pure drawing directly to the player screen. And I made my own particle system for the explosions.

Be carefull as the saucers will have a 1 in 4 chance of predicting you position based on your direction and speed and will fire towards it and catch you out.

Hopefully I have captured the essence of the original and would appreciate any feed back both positive and constructively negative :).

Update 03_09_2016

- Fixed XBOX 360 controller issue.

Update 01_09_2016

- Improved player ship slow down code to be more like the original. now uses a cut down version of Stokes Law to simulate an object moving through a liquid
- Removed redundant text from high score screen.
- Fixed annoying problem where small saucer sound wouldn't play for some god only knows reason.

hopefully that is it.

Enjoy

Download: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=748214754
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0wbf3ef0d9nbe4u/Asteroids_Final_build-Default-1.0.0.1.exe

Screenjpg1.jpg Screenjpg2.jpg

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Nice job on this (I played the non-Steam version). It's pretty fun to see an authentic retro game like this. Of course, these games won't typically be as fun as modern games, for players with modern taste and expectations. But they're a nice homage to the original developers. And like you said, making these is a fun way to hone your programming skills.

I like your homemade text. That's a lot of work, but it looks good. And the rest of the graphics are good too. It all has a good retro feel.

One odd thing I noticed, however, was that pressing other keys (like X or Z) instead of Ctrl and Alt caused the ship to abruptly jump to another location. I'm sure that wasn't intended. Not a big deal, but you might want to check that.

Overall a nice job. +1

GMWolf

aka fel666
One odd thing I noticed, however, was that pressing other keys (like X or Z) instead of Ctrl and Alt caused the ship to abruptly jump to another location. I'm sure that wasn't intended. Not a big deal, but you might want to check that.
I have seen a number of asteriod games that had this feature: teleporting to a random location.
I dont know if it was part of the original game, but personally, im not a fan of this mechanic.

Sabnock

Nice job on this (I played the non-Steam version). It's pretty fun to see an authentic retro game like this. Of course, these games won't typically be as fun as modern games, for players with modern taste and expectations. But they're a nice homage to the original developers. And like you said, making these is a fun way to hone your programming skills.

I like your homemade text. That's a lot of work, but it looks good. And the rest of the graphics are good too. It all has a good retro feel.

Overall a nice job. +1
Hi Chance,

Thank you for the feed back :D

Being a guy who grew up in the 80's i loved playing these games and always wanted to see if i could reproduce them. My ambitions are to do the holy trinity i.e. Space Invaders, Pac Man and Asteroids. I have now practically completed all three and i will submit them once i am happy they are "Complete".

The Home made text was because i could not find a pre made font that suited my needs and i am very pleased that i did it all myself as it was another challenge and a good result.

I couldn't reproduce the z / x button abrupt jump but the game is designed to allow the player to pres space bar, B or Y button to jump the ship to a random position should they become overwhelmed by asteroids. this was in the original as well. i will do more testing though and issue an update if required.

i am particularly proud of my version of the fair play respawn mechanic in this game and i guess it looks subtle but it works very well. i'm also very pleased with how the Highscore works :)

Thanks again for the kind comments

Andy

Last edited:

Sabnock

I have seen a number of asteriod games that had this feature: teleporting to a random location.
I dont know if it was part of the original game, but personally, im not a fan of this mechanic.
HI Heat4Life,

Thank you for your feedback. it really means a lot to me to have completed this, albeit simple, game to a point where it really looks and feels like the original. there is a lot going on under the hood that, for me, makes it an life long ambition completed.

Andy

Sabnock

Hi Fell666,

Thank you for your feed back.

yes it was in the original and it would have been remiss to omit it. it isn't a very fair mechanic i agree but i guess it does afford the player a last chance to save themselves in the event they are overwhelmed by asteroids or saucer fire.

Andy

Roa

pretty good. True to the classic. Love it.

Also 4kb game ot 5 megs. Also should make an HTML5 port, now that nearly everyone has it. Also, you inspired me to do something cool.

Last edited:
P

pixelviking

That looks amazing, working my own versions of Asteroids (following the tutorials by Shaun Spalding), but now it doesn't look very good :(

Sabnock

pretty good. True to the classic. Love it.

Also 4kb game ot 5 megs. Also should make an HTML5 port, now that nearly everyone has it. Also, you inspired me to do something cool.

Glad you liked it. It was all good learning and I am well on with my next project.

It's a great feeling to inspire someone what have you got planned?

Sabnock

That looks amazing, working my own versions of Asteroids (following the tutorials by Shaun Spalding), but now it doesn't look very good :(
Thank you for the really positive comment it means a lot to me as these games haven't gotten that much attention so any comment is treasured

Definitely finish Shaun's tutorial as it is what I used the learn the basics and went from there.

Check out my space invaders and galaga clones as well and am more than happy to help out if you get stuck or just need advice.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/another-space-invaders.6297/
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/galaga-tribute.6993/

Last edited:
G

Gordon Murphy

Hi there just downloaded the direct link but defender says it contains a virus (window 10). Just a heads up as I was interested in playing your version of this classic

Sabnock

Hi there just downloaded the direct link but defender says it contains a virus (window 10). Just a heads up as I was interested in playing your version of this classic
what virus checker are you using? i have heard that some flag up GMS .exe as a false positive trojan.

i have run the file through defender by right clicking it and scanning and all seems good.

Last edited:
P

pixelviking

Glad you liked it. It was all good learning and I am well on with my next project.

It's a great feeling to inspire someone what have you got planned?
Finished Shaun's tutorial and some of his other videos, have a version I'm happy with now. Just a few more tweaks and then I'm posting it here in the forums.

Sabnock

Finished Shaun's tutorial and some of his other videos, have a version I'm happy with now. Just a few more tweaks and then I'm posting it here in the forums.
Good news. I look forward to playing it.

i did Shauns tutorials when i first started and found them a really good learning tool. i still regularly use them to refresh my memory on things.

Last edited:

Sabnock

are you going to post your game or send me a link as i would love to see how you got on?

P

pixelviking

are you going to post your game or send me a link as i would love to see how you got on?
I'm struggling with getting my high score system to work (save/load). That is the last little peace

Sabnock

Thanks pixelvikin, i have played it and commented :D

Really good. hope the experience has spurred you on to do more. what do you plan next?