Free Asteroid Bang

H

Heat4Life

ASTEROID BANG
Made by: Paul Quinn (Heat4Life)

Description:
Asteroid Bang is a 2D Shoot 'em up Video Game where you start on Space and shoot Asteroids to earn Points and that means also that you must Evade the asteroids to avoid losing!

Controls:
Up key to start the Motion.
Left key to turn the spaceship left.
Right key to turn the spaceship right.
Press Shift to shoot.

Note:
This is my 2nd Video Game created with GM:S and It was finished on 4 Hours... But It was worth It because I learned so much while creating this Project! :D

Screenshots:

Download Link:
https://www.mediafire.com/?sj7423k7o2qs288

H

Heat4Life

I will be adding more minor updates soon! Also, tell me if you saw any Bugs! :D

H

Heat4Life

I would recommend not using shift for shooting as people will get the pop-up about sticky keys.
Well, Some keyboards doesn't respond when your holding down 'left key + up key + space'... But the Shift key does work. :D

A

Aura

So the game's been made in 4 hours and you recently published your first ever game as well? That's a pretty good and solid start. Your topics are well written and presented, so kudos for that as well.

As for the game, it's a bit rushed in my opinion and you entirely missed the value of polishing. But since you're new to game development, that's quite understandable.

The graphics were neat. But the style inconsistency made the game look rough around the edges. For instance, the asteroids and the spaceship were very different in terms of style. Not a huge fan of the boxes that you used for asteroids. First of all, they don't look like asteroids. Second, they don't have the realistic feel that everything else has. But that's fine.

The sound effects were quite neatly implemented. But there were only a few of them, so no comments in that regard.

The gameplay was what affected my attitude and impression of this game. The controls were badly set up. You could have used Z, X or anything. But SHIFT. That's a pretty bad choice. I had to turn off sticky keys notifications to be able to play your game. Not good.

The spaceship was way too slippery and the number of asteriods was so high that I could barely play the game. The best score I could reach was 900. The gameplay is somewhat difficult for somebody getting used to your odd controls. I'd just bump into the asteroids if I tried to move a bit, for it would keep drifting very slowly. The collision mask of the spaceship is very large too. And I would die if an asteroid passes by.

I couldn't understand why only a single small box was created when I shot a big box. Wasn't it supposed to break into two smaller pieces and move away in different directions? It seemed to remain static at the position of the large box and it felt like my bullet had eaten half of it and reduced to a small size.

The gameplay was not only rough but lacked interesting elements as well. Forced me to quit the game after a minute.

But the game is still neatly done and does not have errors. A pretty good start.

H

Heat4Life

The gameplay is somewhat difficult for somebody getting used to your odd controls.
Well, I want It too look like a bit 'space-ish'... :D

You could have used Z, X or anything.
Thanks! Yeah sure, I can use this for my Future Video Games! :D

The collision mask of the spaceship is very large too.
Well, Not that BIG to be honest lol. :D

By the way, Thanks for this stuff! I could use your words here for my future Video Games!

A

Aura

Well, I want It too look like a bit 'space-ish'...
I don't see how using SHIFT makes the game look more space-ish. That's what I meant by odd controls. ^^"

Or maybe you quoted the wrong part of my post. Were you talking about me finding it difficult to get used to the slow and long drift of the spaceship? That doesn't make the game look space-ish. Drift mechanics are fine. But with a deceleration speed as low as that, the gameplay gets very difficult. You should have kept the deceleration speed low, so that the drift isn't very long. That is what I meant.

H

Heat4Life

You should have kept the deceleration speed low, so that the drift isn't very long.
Yeah, Should've been what I should have done... But the long drift makes the Game more Harder and challenging but yeah I believe you got a point right there that the game becomes real hard...

J

Jaqueta

When I do an analysis, I will review specific features of the game, and each will affect the final score.
These are the parts reviewed:
- Gameplay (From controls, to AI)
- Graphics
- Sounds and Music
- Plot (If there's any)
- Originality

If one of these is missing, it'll be completely ignored on the final score.
INTRO:
Asteroid Bang is an... Asteroid game, nothing much else to say really...

GAMEPLAY:
It's pretty similar to other ones, there's a some differences, such as, asteroids won't split when shot, and the smaller rock created, won't generate any other asteroids. The controls of the ship need some tweaks in my opinion, the room size is too small, for the speed that the ship can reach, making it very easy to lost control, it also is very difficult to stop and dodge, since there's no hyper space button.

Compared to the original Asteroids game, it seems like a downgrade.

Another thing to mention is that on the menu, you have to use your mouse, but you never use it during the game, doesn't make much sense.

Regarless of the flaws, if you have enough practice, it's possible to master the controls
[7/10]

GRAPHICS:
(Almost) Monochromatic, very simplistic, the doesn't match tho, the Ship is "High-Quality" with colors, but the asteroids are monochromatic and very simple. The background doesn't seem to tile very well too. I recommend picking an art-style, and sticking to it for the rest of the game, or else things are going to look like they're out of place.
[5/10]

SOUNDS:
No Music, and 2 sounds effects, but honestly, it doesn't need more than that.
Since this is too simple, I'll ignore the sounds.

PLOT:
There's none, I'll ignore that too.

ORIGINALITY AND CONCLUSION:
It's clearly an Asteroids "remake", however, there's even less features than it, such as scoreboards, hyperspace, and better destruction.
However², as a second game, I'm impressed (Specially when I compare with my second game.. ohhh boy... you don't even want to know how bad it was xD), I didn't found a single bug while playing (With exception of asteroids "appearing from nowhere"), and it made me lose a few minutes while smashing my Shift button.
[7/10]

Final Score:
[6.3/10.0]
A solid game that lack features. It can be improved, but if it's worth or not, it's up to you. It seems that this was more of a training than an actual game of yours, if that was your real purpose, you did a fine job.

;D

H

Heat4Life

I'll do my best to add more features and stuff to make an Improved version of the Original Asteroid Video Game! :D

Sabnock

Hi Heat4Life,

Just played your game and can see the beginnings of a very smart version of this classic.

- Definitely change the shift key for the firing as my sticky keys popped up whilst playing the game and i lost control and died. and kept popping up even if i said no :( Grrrr.

- Break the asteroids into more parts 1, 2 & 2 or more if you want to change things up.

- Asteroids should match the quality of the ship which looks great.

- Thrust effect for the ship when it's moving. using the built in effects would really work for this version of the game as you could get some nice smoke effects going.

- I couldn't check the sound as my work PC doesn't do sound. will check when i get home.

- I like the scrolling background.

- have the option to select the start and quit in the main menu with the key board

- Add Game controller support.

All in all i think it will be much improved with a little extra work imo. top job.

i will give it another go once you post your update.

Andy

P

pixelviking

Great version of a classic based on Shaun's tutorials, as others have said work a bit on making it feel more consistent and you got yourself a neat little game.