• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Asset compiler not finishing, can't run game

python-b5

I exported my game over to my laptop to work on it on the go, and while it works fine on my desktop, the laptop won't run the game. It starts compiling normally, and then stops after it reaches this message:

Code:
[Compile] Run asset compiler
It freezes after that, and never finishes compiling - I've waited for 10 minutes at a time, and nothing happens. Why is this happening? I'm on Windows, and compiling with VM.

rIKmAN

I exported my game over to my laptop to work on it on the go, and while it works fine on my desktop, the laptop won't run the game. It starts compiling normally, and then stops after it reaches this message:

Code:
It freezes after that, and never finishes compiling - I've waited for 10 minutes at a time, and nothing happens. Why is this happening? I'm on Windows, and compiling with VM.
Right click the console at the bottom and clear it, then try compiling and post the full output from it.

python-b5

Right click the console at the bottom and clear it, then try compiling and post the full output from it.
"cmd" /c subst U: "C:\Users\python-b5\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0990967s for command "cmd" /c subst U: "C:\Users\python-b5\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 04/21/2019 08:57:30
"cmd" /c subst T: "C:\Users\python-b5\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.1201936s for command "cmd" /c subst T: "C:\Users\python-b5\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 04/21/2019 08:57:30
"cmd" /c subst S: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0692448s for command "cmd" /c subst S: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326" started at 04/21/2019 08:57:30
Saving project to: C:\Users\python-b5\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\first_game\first_game.yyp
"C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\python-b5\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\python-b5\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\first_game_C4D7640F\macros.json
Options: S:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\python-b5\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\evangorman06_1793038\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\python-b5\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\first_game_C4D7640F\targetoptions.json
Reading project file....C:\Users\python-b5\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\first_game
Reading project file....S:\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'C:\Users\python-b5\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\first_game\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
finished.

Release build
OptionsIni
Options: U:/first_game_C4D7640F\PlatformOptions.json
And when I stop it:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (-1)
"cmd" /c subst U: /d

elapsed time 00:00:23.3881361s for command "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\python-b5\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -- Windows Run started at 04/21/2019 08:57:47
elapsed time 00:00:00.0775562s for command "cmd" /c subst U: /d started at 04/21/2019 08:58:11
"cmd" /c subst T: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0942099s for command "cmd" /c subst T: /d started at 04/21/2019 08:58:11
"cmd" /c subst S: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0890832s for command "cmd" /c subst S: /d started at 04/21/2019 08:58:11
---------- STOPPING ----------
FAILED: Run Program Complete

rIKmAN

Forum rules are to leave 48hrs for people to reply before bumping posts, and considering it’s an Easter Weekend this would apply even more so as people have lives and will be doing things other than checking the forum.

I notice your username in the output is “python-b5”.
Does your account have admin rights / priveledges as that sounds like it may be a login name for a school network machine or works laptop or similar where your account will probably have minimal system access.

What happens if you try to compile a fresh empty project on the laptop?
Are the versions of GMS on your main machine and laptop the same?