• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Asset Compiler has encountered a problem -Found Workaround-

K

Korbs

I have been struggling today trying to run my project.

Earlier today I was having an AssetCompiler error and it stated:

GameMaker:Studio AssetCompiler has encountered a problem.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Value Cannot Be Null.
Parameter Name: path2

I got around this error by Exporting my project then importing it, but a few runs later of that imported project and I'm now getting this other error:

GameMaker:Studio AssetCompiler has encountered a problem.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The process cannot access the file
"C:\Users\Shaun\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\X_422F7CAA..."
because it is being used by another process

It just started today; any help would be greatly appreciated! :(

Info:

Windows 10

Version Info:
IDE v2.0.6. 146 Runtime v2.0.6.96

Compile:
Windows | VM | Default | default

K

Korbs

C:\Users\Shaun\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\X_422F7CAA\X\default\TexturePageEntries\_2048_130\spr_turnip_staff_idle_5301fe31-2e7a-48d7-a4f5-20cbf2691676.tpe.xml

^ The URL that the error is being thrown for, I have nothing else open that would be touching this file

G

Try running the clean program? It's the broom icon near Play or Run or whatever.

K

Korbs

Hey Justice,

I have been cleaning and running for the past while and here's what I have found.

When I clean then run, it compiles and runs fine, then once I close and then run again I get a long list of compile errors like this:

Error : Duplicate resource name found "spr_turnip_staff_attack_2e433f95-bd87-4320-a9ecd14d8a3bd517.tpe" - must be unique (NOTE: case insensitive)
Error : Duplicate resource name found "spr_turnip_staff_attack_ba1cf68f-0eaa-4d0a-bfaa-37cd9dcc8f9f.tpe" - must be unique (NOTE: case insensitive)
Error : Duplicate resource name found "spr_turnip_staff_idle_4bdb5020-50fc-4b15-a6a5-9ff3d9229350.tpe" - must be unique (NOTE: case insensitive)
Error : Duplicate resource name found "spr_turnip_staff_idle_5a8a5c2c-cd5b-499e-acb7-8a6d6eee2f99.tpe" - must be unique (NOTE: case insensitive)

It's a very long list of these (only ever relating to .tpe files associated with my "spr_turnip_staff_idle" and spr_turnip_staff_attack" sprites). Once cleaned again it runs once, before this is shown again on next run, and so on.

The AssetCompiler error only comes up once and a while, and I have a feeling it's something game maker is trying to do to fix some kind of issue with these files while compiling... I will try backing up these sprites and removing them from the project to see if they are the culprit.

G

That's a good idea. I occasionally get "unstable" errors that are fixed by removing the last sprite I worked on.

I think there's an option in preferences to clean the asset cache on close, although it doesn't sound like that would fix your problem since it occurs every run.

K

Korbs

I deleted the two sprites, and the game compiles properly (multiple times) without them. BUT as soon as I created new sprites using those names I got the AssetCompiler error claiming that:

"C:\Users\Shaun\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\X_422F7CAA\X\default\TexturePageEntries\_2048_130\spr_turnip_staff_idle_5301fe31-2e7a-48d7-a4f5-20cbf2691676.tpe.xml" is being used by another process...

and then running again I get that list I showed you of compile errors with the "duplicate resource name found..." but now it's just two lines, one for spr_turnip_staff_attack and the other spr_turnip_staff_idle.

K

Korbs

Thanks man, when I make new sprites without those names it runs fine so I may just see if I can just use different sprite names and swear to never use those names again... It is sort of unnerving, but if it only happens in the case of a sprite having those names I should be fine, we'll see.

K

Korbs

Success! I probably still have something sketchy going on with my project and it's phobias of the names "spr_turnip_staff_idle" and "spr_turnip_staff_attack" now, but without using them it runs fine.

To any YoYo Devs seeing this, I believe the issue was caused by either shutting down before the project is fully saved, duplicating and renaming sprites or from using the import function for sprites and importing files from previous project folder or a combination of these.

N

NeutralD

Have the same issue:
Error : Duplicate resource name found "spr_fire_4_948693e4-f5d5-4717-aff4-6f15598b3f9d.tpe" - must be unique (NOTE: case insensitive)
Happened when I've merged my brunch with another and resolved several conflicts. Cleaning the project cache helps, but just for one time. Then I have to clean it, again and again, every time after I ran the game in VM.

rIKmAN

Make a backup of your project, then open the project file in a text editor and search for the filename you are getting in your errors.

If it's in there, try deleting the entry then saving and reloading your project in GMS.