• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Aspect Ratio for mobile games?

JeanSwamp

Hello,

Currently I'm messign up with a runner that I want to develop for mobile devices and I was going with the common 640x360 res. but I scaled it down to 480x270 because since it's going to be a simple game, I don't need that much air (empty space) on the screen since I'm not going to work with sprite biggers than 32x32.

Now came to my mind, do smartphones actualy run 16:9? Because maybe I'm not using the right scale.

Any experienced user could throw some knowledge?

Thanks

Genetix

I've toyed around with resolution a lot and find about the best fit for most devices to be at 800x480 (or 480x800) - try it out and see for yourself! Of course that may be a bit bigger then what you're going for but it can still work great for very simple graphics. I've recently published an android game using that resolution called Downfall if you want to check it out! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genetix.downfall