ASCII Graphics

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Lemonz, Jan 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lemonz

Lemonz Member

Hello, how are you all? Also happy new years!. I want to start the new year by learning something new and maybe others feel the same way? my question is, "How do you write a game or make a game using ASCII graphics?

It would be fun to make a minimal game using a new art style. Ascii would fit that bill. Anyone have any tips or ideas on how to start a project using that art style.

2. Lemonz

Lemonz Member

So I thought about this for a while and with my lack of knowledge about coding I came up with an easy solution that game maker shouldn't have an issue with. What if I just make a tileset that looks like old ASCII art? I did this for the most basic ASCII tile, the standard wall symbol, #

By doing this approach I can utilize each symbol easier than trying to work with the print text function. It takes about 2 minutes, more if I look for a font style. If we take it a step further we can animate characters and make special effects like explosions and death animations.

Attached Files:

3. zendraw

zendraw Member

you can make your font in a sprite and load it as a font. then your whole game will be done in a single draw and step event. adding explosions is not really ascii?

4. Lemonz

Lemonz Member

ASCII can have explosions. You can make grand oceans, giant monsters, dragons. whatever you can think up it can be in the game. I am about halfway done with my tileset now.

I think in the game I am making it will not be a roguelike. not sure yet though. I was thinking shmup.

5. zendraw

zendraw Member

i meant as independent effects and not drawn with the ascii

6. Lemonz

Lemonz Member

So I have an issue now. I have been doing a lot of research and I have made a lot of .png files for this game idea I wanted to do. the problem is when I import them they look horribly pixilated. Is there something I am doing wrong when I import them or should I be doing something different entirely? Are .png and jpegs not a good file format for game maker? I can't use svg files... and I have no software that can convert these to swf.

should I give up on the sprites entirely and try drawing text? can you make text that aligns to a grid and can be manipulated by the player? like opening doors to reveal new rooms ect.. or make the text into a tileset? I don't know much about the tileset functions in game maker.