Windows Ascended Dark Matter (Bullet Hell/Shoot Em' Up)

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Sabrina Stoakes, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Sabrina Stoakes

Sabrina Stoakes Member

If I remember correctly the way it worked (There are some controls that aren't implemented into it because I programmed them early,) were the LMB was manual fire/charge, RMB was bomb, MMB was detonate. That could still work as a combined keyboard control though, because spacebar is auto-fire, and shift (any shift) is laser. Maybe I could like add a check where if you move the mouse a certain amount (to keep from accidental movements,) it switches over to mouse controls+keyboard controls, and if you press like WASD, or the directional keys is switches the movement controls back to keyboard only. I'll play around with it :0

O.Stogden likes this.
  2. O.Stogden

O.Stogden Member

Sweet, choice is always a good thing to have in a game. Even if it is a pain to implement. Controlling the menus with a gamepad wasn't the easiest thing in my game, but I got there eventually, even if it isn't 100% how I wanted it.

Your idea of switching the controls seems pretty seamless and I think it'd work well. Games like My Time at Portia do that where button prompts change depending on what input method was last detected, gamepad or keyboard.

Sabrina Stoakes likes this.
  3. Sabrina Stoakes

Sabrina Stoakes Member

Hey guys!

New demo build is up <3
    Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h7LHCEqE0rhjzo0g3HwbTuzhTkNhCbsf/view?usp=sharing *I also updated the link in the original post*

-MUSIC, YES, MUSIC!
    -Upgrades were added at the end of each level. *The demo loops after finishing level 2 so you can try out all the upgrades.*
    -2 almost finished levels with 2 bosses. <3
    -Some minor tweaks were made to the style system that makes it easier to maintain your style rank.
    -Small enemies now shoot in a pattern instead of directly at you.
    -Boss health tweaks.
    -Tweaked bullet sound effect to be less samey.

Here is a video of level 1 & 2 as well:

As always, let me know what you think <3 constructive criticism is very much welcome! :D This will be the last demo for awhile assuming all things are functioning properly, so I hope you enjoy it!!!

Misu, JCJ, Cpaz and 1 other person like this.
  4. O.Stogden

O.Stogden Member

Hey Sabrina,

Here's some feedback:

- Music is a great addition, really helps liven up the game, which I didn't even know it needed because I get very stressed playing this. :p

- The music is quite fast-paced, which is good for a bullet hell, but it feels as though the ship is quite slow moving? I know you have tiny star particles that give a sense of speed, but the background moves quite slowly which counteracts that. I don't know if there's anything you can do that's not distracting or intrusive, but a feeling of the ship moving fast like the music insinuates would be good.

- I'm not sure you put the bullet sound variation in this release, your video definitely has the pitch changing, but in the build I just played (BH3), the sound is always the same.

P.S. I made it to level 2, and then died about 30 seconds in. :oops:

5. Sabrina Stoakes

Sabrina Stoakes Member

The sound should be slightly changing every time :0 I know for a fact the code is in this version, unless you're using the keyboard and I forgot to put the code in for the keyboard controls LOL I'll check it out in a little bit <3

Changing the speed of the background would be very simple to do MAYBE, I'm not using the built-in room feature to scroll a background so we shall see how that works LOL

O.Stogden likes this.
  6. O.Stogden

O.Stogden Member

I was using keyboard, so that might be it.

7. Sabrina Stoakes

Sabrina Stoakes Member

It was the keyboard controls :D

I love how I knew immediately what the issue was LOL It sounded like my typical brand of mistake :cool:

O.Stogden likes this.
  8. Sabrina Stoakes

Sabrina Stoakes Member

Hey guys <3 I have another progress update! :D

Made a minor change to how fast Auto-Fire is, it now shoots 2 frames faster!

To compensate for the added advantages with the faster Auto-Fire and upgrades, I have started working on an alternate version of the main 4 enemies. These alternate versions have slightly more health, act differently, and start showing up after level 3. I'm also still adding 2 new enemies every level in the arcade mode (This doesn't apply to Nightmare difficulty since all enemy types are present in all levels in this mode.) So there will be a total of 14 enemy types by the time you reach level 6.

I have also added another attack to the boss in level 2 that he only does once his health hits 25% or below.

Finally, I am changing the way you get more AP for spending on upgrades. Instead of you getting an extra AP for getting your style points beyond a certain point, you will now only get the extra AP for the number of kills you get in a level. I felt like this needed to be changed because style points already increase your score, and the kills were just there, so this gives the kills variable a little more purpose I think.

O.Stogden and Misu like this.