• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Articy Draft SE 2 on sale - 98% off ($5 / £3.74)

rIKmAN

Just saw this posted on another site, purchased it for myself and thought that some of the users on here might find the software useful / appealing. Hopefully this is the right place to post it and share with the community.

Articy Draft SE 2 is on sale for 98% off - which makes it $5 / £3.74.
It's a legitimate Steam Key that can be added to your account (I've succesfully added it already) and you get the key in under 1minute.

The current version on Steam is Articy Draft 3, but other than some UI enhancements, some extra export options and Unity support there doesn't seem to be much difference.

However when you redeem the Articy Draft 2 SE on Steam you get a coupon for 35% off Articy Draft 3 if you should wish to upgrade - the coupon seems to expire 2wks after purchase (at least mine does).

It seems very similar to the GMS1.4 Humble Sale just before they released GMS2, in that you aren't getting the "latest" version, but a very capable product and a decent upgrade path should you wish to take it.

I'm not affiliated with any of the above, there are no referral links or anything like that, I just thought some GMS users might benefit from some software like this when designing their games - especially at the price of less than a Starbucks / McDonalds.

I don't have a use for it right now (and might never!) but couldn't resist at this price.

It does say it's for "non-commercial use only", but posts by the developer on Steam basically say that an upgrade to a "commercial usage" licence only need be done once a game is released and bringing in money.

Link to developer post on Steam.

Anyway, the offer can be found here and below is the blurb from the website (in the spoiler) and a couple of videos for the lazy folks showing what the software does.

Here is a plaintext link to the offer in case people think I'm referring or hiding the link for nefarious reasons - I genuinely just wanted to share what seems to be a great offer.
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/articy-draft-2-se

I know I've waffled a bit but I just didn't want it to get removed or seem like I was advertising or whatever so tried to put as much detail in and be as transparent as possible.

The Blurb
ABOUT THE SOFTWARE

This package includes:

• articy:draft SE
  • articy:draft SE - Upgrade to articy:draft 2 SE DLC

Create, communicate and maintain an overview of your game vision. With articy:draft, a well established professional game design tool, these things are easy.

Create interactive stories, develop characters, manage objects and locations in an all in-one highly visual game design tool. articy:draft makes writing for games blindingly easy with its strong focus on non-linear storytelling. Build branching stories or dialogues and at the same time manage dramaturgy and player experience. You can create mission trees, game state graphs, and skill or tech trees with our unique flow editor. articy:draft also allows planning your levels and game worlds, designing all the objects in your game and even export the data for further use.

articy:draft SE is the single-user version of articy:draft and features everything from the professional single-user application. So you can benefit largely from the integrated workflow and asset management functionalities. articy:draft is the breakthrough tool for game design, drastically increasing efficiency and a joy to use throughout the entire production. This version is for non-commercial use only. You can acquire an upgrade for commercial usage via Steam.

Key Features:

• Manage complexity in non-linear story structures with choices.
  • Write screenplay-like dialogue scripts and convert them into branching structures.
  • Experience your game early: "Play" your story structure in an interactive, PowerPoint®-like presentation mode.
  • Create templates for items, weapons, vehicles and fill your database.
  • Import assets and connect them to your design data.
  • Export your data: Create XML files, Excel® spreadsheets, or Word® documents.
  • Excel Export and re-import ("Excel roundtrip").
  • Spell checking in 25 languages.
  • Basic scripting with conditions and instructions.

Short Overview Trailer

Intro to new 2.4 features (longer)

I'm looking forward to having a play with it over the weekend! :)

EDIT: Sorry mods, thanks for moving!

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Thanks for sharing this. I can see how it would be VERY useful when it comes to larger projects, and at the price I really have no excuse for not buying it. :)

rIKmAN

Thanks for sharing this. I can see how it would be VERY useful when it comes to larger projects, and at the price I really have no excuse for not buying it. :)
You're welcome, thanks for moving it and not deleting it - took me ages to put the post together lol! :)

That was pretty much my logic - I don't have a need for it now, but for that price it's another powerful tool in the toolkit should I ever need to plan out complex stories, branching dialogues and pathways etc.

I know a lot of users here are working on games with lot's of dialogues, story elements and characters such as RPGs and adventure games etc, so I thought at least a few of them might find it useful and the price doesn't rule anyone out.

I had a quick 10min look at it earlier and it seems quite a complex piece of kit, I'm looking forward to giving it a few hours over the weekend and seeing what's what! :)

Hyomoto

I've had Articy Draft for a few years now and... I never use it. It's an incredibly powerful tool but here's the thing, the time you spend getting it up and running is not insubstantial. Depending on the scope of your project it does little a pen and paper or even a notepad document cannon accomplish.

However, if you have a large team with lots of concept art and design notes it *might* be more useful but at that point you need the multi-user license. If you just really enjoy planning it might be for you but I actually downgraded my planning tools to a folder of documents and pictures. It's somehow easier to keep track of.

G

Guest User

ohhh it looks like novel writing software but for games, that's interesting.
if this doesn't suit your tastes you can also take a look at apps like Scrivener, yWriter, Amazon Storywriter, etc. which all basically do the same thing as each other. you can google things like "novel writing software", "index card software", "screenwriting software", etc. and get a ton of different ones, might find one you like? ?

if you don't want to do it on a computer, all these are doing is taking the "traditional screenwriting method" of using index cards on a corkboard. you can write your bits of story on individual index cards and arrange them how you please on a big mat or w/e. some people use sticky notes too. just...whatever.

Last edited by a moderator: